Rice

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Duncan, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Is it a big part of your dietary life? A staple? I go for weeks without ever seeing it... I come from a bread-eating culture. Next favorite carb is pasta and then followed by potatoes. Almost never see corn.
    I don't really think of rice as a starch, but rather as a grain. In that vein, there is a tendancy on my part to eat other grains instead; barley, lentils, kasha, bulgur wheat.
    What do you do with rice? Assume you do do something with it :)

2. Lazuli Blue

Lazuli Blue Member

I make a mean mujadarra (rice & lentils), even my husband loves it and he's omni!

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Lazuli, head to the veg*n recipie section and post it...now!

4. Lazuli Blue

Lazuli Blue Member

Yes Ma'am! lol!

5. Peterness

Peterness Member

Yeah I eat loads of rice.

I cook Thai and Indian currys at least a couple of times a week so obviously I use rice with them...However you might as well buy a cookbook rather than me explain the myriad of dishes you can cook with rice!

Also a really basic mexican dish; Kidney beans, tomatoo puree, chilli, with rice.

You can also do all sorts of things with the rice itself. Egg fried rice, veg fried, jasmine rice etc

My favourite rice by far though is sticky rice. They eat this all the time in Laos and it goes with pretty much anything. You can roll it into balls and dip it in your soup...Or you can have sticky rice fights with people! Or you could probably attach it to your hands and feet and play spiderman from roof top to roof top!

Rice is Nice.