Rice and Beans

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Duncan, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

... or beans and rice. I'm planning a brief trip to Central America and I've been told it's the main ingredients of most meals. So, in order to psych myself up for it, I have been preparing them in quantities that last a week. I eat alone and have been making this combination my go-to breakfast choice. So far, the options for beans have been kidney, black, pinto, or mayacoba. The rice has been mostly long grain white, but I have also tried jasmine or brown.
    Thing is, when I make them, I don't put anything in them. The rice is made in 18 minutes in purified water. The beans are simmered in boiled for about 1½ to 2 hours in water. Again I add nothing.... no carrots, bay leaves, celery, onions... just plain water.
    When I serve them, I just measure out the quantity and I might add ¼ tablespoon of butter or some Lizano sauce. To moisten the mixture I might also add a poached or soft-cooked egg. It's okay, but it doesn't exactly make my tummy say, "Howdy!"
    Are there spices you like to add? For a brief while I was eating the combination with sautéed vegetables such as sweet peppers, onion, and mushrooms. Just curious to know if others here eat this Latin duo.

2. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Not alone, no - they're ok with sausages, pork slices or beef though.

3. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Rather provocative for a VEGETARIAN forum.

4. arizonacook

arizonacook Banned

when i make my pinto beans i cook in chicken broth ... and add garlic powder and dehydrated onion, add salt at the end..... oh and my favorite herb is dill..... so i use it too (dry) .......... i like to add either olive oil or bacon grease for the fat .... when I serve this the first day its with part of the meal and then the next day i use the beans and some of the "juice" for making chili--- which i add to saute'd onions, (ground beef cooked and drained) and chili powder and tomato sauce....

5. arizonacook

arizonacook Banned

sorry i just went to "new posts" i didn't realize it was vegetarian--- water can be used in place of the chicken broth in mine but still add the onion and garlic,

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Brown rice and lentils. Both take the same amount of water per measure and the same amount of cooking time. Cook them together, add butter and chow down.

You can add anything you want to this really, it's the quickest and easiest rice and bean combo to fix.

7. arizonacook

arizonacook Banned

Don't forget left over rice makes good " fried " rice...add any veggies and seasoning

8. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

If you soak dried beans overnight, they will cook in far less time. Discard the water the beans are soaked in and cook in fresh water.
    Just an important point. Red kidney beans must be boiled, not simmered for 10 minutes not simmered and the simmered until cooked. Failure to do so can make you very ill.

9. MartNorth

MartNorth Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Why discard the water you soak them in? I never do when I cook my small red beans and black bean combo.

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Um...

nothing healthy in the spices department. But yeah, plain rice is tough. Beans are a little easier, but maybe that's just me - I like beans.