Revolution !!!

Discussion in 'Protest' started by Barefootsun, Feb 22, 2006.

1. YEM36313

YEM36313 Member

Well, basically for the benefit i found people with money. I just took two weeks off work, and began going door to door. You have to start w/ your venue, and i worked at a great place, so i asked them. They said no at first, but i convinced them to do it because i told them that it would be good public relations, and a lot of publicity. Once they were on board, i knew everyone else would follow suit. You go to local businesses, start asking for items that they would donate for auction. Once you get a big item, you use it as your vantage point..."well, such and such at this store donated this item worth 900 dollars" then people get competitve. You sell tickets (that makes you a lot of money there) then you serve an open bar, and let people bid on items...but you gotta do a silent auction too, cause that is a big thing.

Basically, people wanted to help with the whole Katrina thing anyway, they just needed someone to tell them how to help. I always wish i could do more, but man, when i heard the final count on the money, i was so greatful. You can't want more i guess. But that really taught me the power of an idea. I got an idea, just one random night, and in two weeks i had organized and pulled off a crazy event. (We even had three awesome bands!!!)

But enough about me...what we would do is just begin searching out people with money; you think of anyone... because now a days you have the internet. Any out spoken liberal with an extra 6 million dollars would be happy to outrage the republicans (sorry if i offend anyone,) Hell, i bet you ellen degeneres would do it! start e-mailing people like that...who knows, you may get a bite. But while you do that, which is sort of a long-shot, you go local. Talk to someone, anyone, find out who's who in the town you live in. Ask people. Put an ad in the paper, "Young entrpeanur is seeking investment partner, inquiries encouraged." Go into businesses, take polls..."Yeah, hi, i am in college and part of my summer project is to research the diversity of my home town. Would the people in your office be willing to take this poll about their political affiliation?" Find them- (those liberals.) they are out there. Once in a while you are bound to meet someone who wants exactly what you want: you have the idea, and they have the means. Its a match made in heaven!

Well, that is kind of my style anyway, i want things to happen correctly...sort of will it into reality. You never know right?

2. mr.morrison

mr.morrison Senior Member

i dont mind at all

3. mr.morrison

thats actually a really good idea. but im not quite sure i understand it completely. if we went for help with famous or rich buisnesses, wouldnt they be easily influenced by money to not show the truth if we ever did make this tv station a reality? like couldn't the government bribe the station to only show what the govt wants shown and if the rich people will do almost anything for money, our station will fall apart.

4. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

mabey you should start an internetcommunity somewhere on the net to work out ideas for the tv station from head to toe.
    i mean, how you gonna get the money, what do you want to tell, how are you gonna get your story, what kind of image do you want to represent the station, what kind of public do you want to reach

5. mr.morrison

well thats a good idea, but i have no idea how to start an internet community. posting on hipforums is probably the most technologicaly advanced thing i can do :p

6. YEM36313

YEM36313 Member

I am with you, mr. morrison, this is def. this most on a computer that i do...but i think the way to start it would be to plant a seed.

Today, on my way to work, i phoned in to the local radio station to ask them what they thought of the idea. (A really rich guy owns the station which he broadcasts from Secrets, a jamacian-style night club) Basically, they thought it was a good idea, but thought that it might anger some people...(you know, republicans) along with that, they were in agreement that our world today IS pretty fucked up, and that it could be a good thing...the truth, that is.

I don't know about using celebrity and how that would effect the governments involvement. My feeling would be to try to appeal to someone like Bill Maher or George Carlin, who don't neccessarily have all the money, but they certainly have a lot of friends. What about the Dixie Chicks? They have taken a lot of heat for certain comments lately, and hey when you're half way to china, you might as well keep on digging, you know??
    You would HAVE TO find someone who was hell-bent on doing it correctly... and it would have to be a whole television station, not just a show.

You could pitch it this way: imagine if you took early MTV, Any news program you've ever watched, the truth, some liberal comedians, and public access and wrapped them up into a burrito-- you would have a totally original taste, and people would be too intrigued not to tune in.

it could work, man, i'm telling you. It would be crazy...it would blow people's minds, and they would absolutely want to say something about it, even if they didn't like it. I know my boyfriend listens to Rush Limbaugh just to get mad at him for republican, tightee-whitee attitude.

Think about it.... People, we need to mobilize!

7. mr.morrison

wow. im so glad i had such a good idea! and that you actually called a radio station about it is amazing! i feel so proud :D

i can give ideas, but i dont know how seriously anyone will take a 15 year old kid who just finished his freshman year. plus i got sent to pittsburgh for 7 weeks for getting caught with drugs and i still got 5 more weeks till im back. so i cant really do anything till i get back. but for now i can help with ideas and if you guys can think of anything i can do while im stuck here, ill do it gladly. i have nothing else to do anyway.

8. YEM36313

YEM36313 Member

hey man, all it takes is an idea to get things started. In the seventies the groupies travelling with bands had this saying, "it's all happening" and thats how it should be... you have an idea, you tell someone, someone decides its worth trying, and so on..."Its all happening"

This is what it takes!
    By the way, it sucks you got busted, be a little less open and little more careful next time, eh?

9. mr.morrison

yea. i will be more careful. i took a bit too much xanax and fell asleep in 5th period. got sent to the principle and he told me to empty my pockets and i had 2 more xanax in there. lol o well.

10. believe

believe Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Wow, dudes we have so many options here that I'm almost getting overwhelmed! This is awesome! Have either of you heard of the book called JOIN ME? An English journalist put an add in the paper that simply said: "JOIN ME" and thousands of people responded to him from all over the world. As a result of joining this group, all the members have to perform an act of kindness every Friday I think. I haven't read the book yet, but if we want to mobilize, as YEM36313 said, then maybe we should check this book out and use his idea to build on our own.

Yes, mr. morrison, you're 15 years old...so what? Clearly you're not an idiot (xanax incident aside) and you have great ideas. Your idea has managed to catch the attention of YEM36313 and I. Not to mention the fact that we're all still talking about it and, however slightly, planning it. That was a great idea to call the radio station and get their opinion, YEM (can I call you that or would you prefer your full name?), and the fact that they thought it was a good idea gives me even more hope for this project.

That would rock if you could work up a wicked brainstorm, mr. morrison. I'm taking a class that basically consumes my life for the next few days so I wouldn't be able to devote more time to this until this weekend. Ideas and small acts of love are what we need right now. After we have a fair amount of those we can go to the next step.

11. YEM36313

YEM36313 Member

way to back mr. m there believe! And yes, you can call me YEM.

Yeah, i will try and check out that book... But i think that we should begin to start small...you know, like scientists do. We can see how our ideas work, how things catch on, what does and what doesn't sort of thing.

So right off the bat, here's what i am doing (and i think i posted it in another tread, too, but it may be more suited to the Revolution)

Everytime i go to a concert or even i am going to put a big bucket of flowers in my car and hand them out to spread love and good feeling. i am also going to ride around in my car with lots and lots of hearts (cut out of good ol' construction paper) that say 'peace and love' on them. That way, when i go somewhere, i can put hearts on other people's cars, or simply hand them out.

Its a good idea because its in the original spirit of peace and love...plus, if we all handed out flowers at festivals or concerts, maybe we would meet up!

What do you think?

12. hollowayjay

hollowayjay Member

About early utilitarianism.
    Early utilitarianism - not what most people mean by utilitarianism, but much more interesting, got 'big' in the 19th century. Robert Owens was an interesting proponent, a sort of pre-hippy who created his own town where everyone actually was happy. It was kind of a commune, quite a few were set up, I don't think any survived, and they were anti-industrial revolution - all working with hands anti-capitalist stuff. But Owens was a bit out there, I think it was him, could have been someone else, I'll check. He was a free love proponent, even with children I think, and believed that in Utopia the seas would turn to lemonade and be populated with anti-sharks who would kill all the nasty sharks. Don't quote me on this til I've checked it up, but I'm pretty sure.

13. hollowayjay

hollowayjay Member

Whoops, missed out 27 pages of thread and replied to Lying In A Field on the first page

14. mr.morrison

thats a good idea, and on each flower you have a note tied to it explaining the TV station idea. when people read it they might get interested and help.

15. YEM36313

YEM36313 Member

well tying all those notes might get a little cumbersome...one thing at a time, grasshopper. :) but spreading the love is a great way to get people to feel warm and fuzzy. Always strive to feel warm and fuzzy!

16. believe

I think it's a great idea. I don't go to many concerts so I will have to figure out another venue to work on. We're really doing this aren't we? Rock on.

Also, I saw this quote on a door today at school and I thought it was appropriate: "We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference and that a small group of determined people can change the course of history" -Sonja Johnson. How perfect is that for us?

17. AHumblePatriot

AHumblePatriot Member

You can't just put shit on people's cars when their not looking. They're more likey to get pissed off then feel warm and fuzzy.

18. mr.morrison

we are that small group man, and it will grow soon too. so the plan is to put flowers and notes in peoples windsheild wipers and hand them to people? should we say something about our goal with the station or not? cause i dont see the good it will do if we just give them a flower and say have a nice day

and humble patriot, if you arent gonna be of any help or put in any useful comments, fuck off

19. believe

I don't think we should say anything specific about the station- people might not get it or might not care. Besides, I'm not sure if we're ready to articulate it in a way that sounds professional. We're still kinda in the idea stage, ya know? Saying something vague might be good: "Look forward to peace" or "Peace is on the way" or something equally as happy without actually saying why you're so happy.

AHumblePatriot, you have good things to say and your criticisms would be very helpful to those of us who are idealists. Why do you think they would be pissed?

20. YEM36313

YEM36313 Member

I cut out over 100 hearts last night, so i could get started this morning. I put all sorts of stuff on the hearts, like, "Peace and Love," "All you need is love," "Promote Peace," "Don't Worry, be Happy," and "Spread good feelings"

You can write anything on them, and it will inspire someone or brighten their day. My goal is to get enough out that someone writes in an editorial about it in the local newspaper (My town is pretty small) and that way i will know its really reaching people...maybe i can even get a few people doing it to spread love throughout the whole town!

The good it does when you do something like that is that it puts on smile on someone's face--- it spreads good feelings. When people are in a good mood, they are more likely to do something nice for someone else... Haven't you seen the movie 'Pay it Forward??' you should really check that out.

You would be amazed what changing your outlook can do! Anyway, most of this world is only what we perceive, and so we can change people's perception-- an experiement, if you would, mr. m :)