Revealed: NSA collecting phone records of millions of Americans daily

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Mr. Bleak, Jun 5, 2013.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I'd totally vote for Snowden if he ran for any federal office.

...oh, hey, how about a white house petition for a pardon for Snowden?

2. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Heh.

Well... if he does that then either they got him or they got him if you know what I mean. One of them would happen before he'd run ... the other would happen sometime afterwards (hi drones)...

3. Individual

Individual Senior Member

What ever happened to plain unadulterated communication? What you presented from the wiki is essentially what I have been saying, and it begins by stating "In cryptography, the one-time pad (OTP) is a type of encryption which has been proven to be impossible to crack if used correctly." Had I been aware of the wiki page I would have presented it, and I never made a claim to be using an unique cipher not known to any man, woman or child, but did claim that the system was used in a job I had in the past, by myself and others who worked with me.

Are you looking for a reason to call me a liar?

After reading the wiki you presented do you STILL think it is highly unlikely to be unbreakable?

Do you REALLY want me to give you an example to try and crack?

My intent is/was only to pass on information; must everything posted here be looked at as a game where one of us must win and the other lose?

4. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Go to the link provided in post #89 by odonII and perhaps you will find a more detailed and understandable explanation of what I have been trying to present.

5. Individual

Individual Senior Member

I've yet to see anything that Snowden revealed that could be claimed as harmful to the governments protecting us from terrorists. Surely the terrorists would at least suspect government to attempt to intercept their communications and use caution in how they pass messages to one another. By making known the extent of surveillance being done by the government to be an ongoing news story has only created a situation for government to have to deal with, which elected politicians don't like.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I think there already is a White house petition.

7. odonII

odonII O

I simply asked for an e.g. 'Freedom is being sacrificed for security.' isn't an e.g.

8. odonII

odonII O

No.

It is theoretically impossible to crack, not absolutely impossible to crack.
    I think you could use it for a certain period of time undetected. I don't know how those types of ciphers are detected, but if you were under surveillance - rather than a broad monitoring programme - the elements that make it theoretically impossible to crack are decreased.

Sure, why not.

No. Perhaps I was looking at it as if you were being absolute, and didn't believe you.

I would have accepted that it was highly unlikely, but not impossible to crack. But you said it was unbreakable, which it isn't.

9. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Obtaining with any certainty the original text IS indeed impossible.
    The length of time is irrelevant as each key is used but once, so even if someone was to give you an original message text, the cipher and the key employed, it would provide no aid at all in cracking the next message.
    The fact that you are using a cypher is easily determined, but that's the extent of what can be discovered.

0a 0a 0a 0a 0a 0a 0a - one example, but I wouldn't waste your time even if you have access to a large number of super computers. It's only meant to serve as a worst case example of the futility.

a2 a9 98 63 a8 93 a8 7a 98 90 8f 9e - This one is a more realistic example, but no less unbreakable.

I would have accepted that it was highly unlikely, but not impossible to crack. But you said it was unbreakable, which it isn't.[/QUOTE]

Still an unbeliever? Try this one, a single 3 letter word. And as a hint, the word can be found in the dictionary. And a list of ALL the 3 letter words found in the dictionary, although would contain the correct word, it is considered cracked ONLY if you can select the one correct word.

ad 97 aa

10. odonII

odonII O

Individual

What I'm saying is that one-time pad (OTP) messages can be deciphered.
    The fact that you possibly used it, and it wasn't, just means that nobody tried.
    Wiki article:
    The theoretical perfect security of the one-time-pad applies only in a theoretically perfect setting; no real-world implementation of any cryptosystem can provide perfect security because practical considerations introduce potential vulnerabilities.
    These practical considerations of security and convenience have meant that the one-time-pad is, in practice, little-used.
    Implementation difficulties have led to one-time pad systems being broken, and are so serious that they have prevented the one-time pad from being adopted as a widespread tool in information security.

I don't think I'll try and decipher those, to be honest :willy_nilly:

11. Individual

Individual Senior Member

The key is in the production of an unreproducable random key and keeping it secure. Read your wiki page more thoroughly.

Didn't even want to try the 3 letter crypt? Or give it to someone with a supercomputer, and I can guarantee that no one would be able to claim with certainty they had broken it.

Break the 3 letter crypt and I'll agree it's possible to break.

12. odonII

odonII O

Individual

I've read it more than once. And have read other sources, too.
    It boils down to, imho, that it is theoretically unbreakable/Information-theoretic security.
    To me, that means theoretically it is unbreakable.
    In practice (real world application) is a whole other story.
    So yes, in theory, it is unbreakable.

Edit: If they are known to be being used, you are going to be under even more scrutiny. The mere fact it is being used is an indication you have something to hide.

13. wabbey

wabbey Member

14. odonII

odonII O

Agh, that's an easy one. It's a year, right?

15. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

The book sales for 1984 are up 6,000 percent.

16. Individual

Individual Senior Member

On your edit we agree, except you may not necessarily have something to hide, but could just want the government to think so. Maybe everyone should start encrypting their messages? But then they would probably just spend more money on computers and operators to try and decrypt them.

17. odonII

odonII O

Everybody that is bothered.

18. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

you guys are 12 pages in, there isn't anything constructive i could add except some helpful pointers on staying out of trouble with Big Brother.
    whenever you're having a phone conversation or sending email, be sure to slip in one of these phrases and they'll pass right over you and on to the real bad guys.

I think the N.S.A. is awesome.
    I just reread “Nineteen Eighty-Four”—it actually has a lot of good ideas in it!
    There’s no such thing as a “bad” drone.
    Sure am glad that I never talk to any foreigners.
    I wouldn’t know the first thing about making ricin.
    The Fourth Amendment is overrated.
    If you ask me, Guantánamo is full of nothing but complainers.
    Just changed my Facebook status from “Single” to “In a Relationship with America.”
    I’m pretty sure my neighbor is cheating on his taxes.

hope that helps !

:peace:

19. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

20. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

HAHAHA good post. If I still had facebook I would change my page to that.

:2thumbsup: