Revealed: NSA collecting phone records of millions of Americans daily

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Mr. Bleak, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I hate to break it to you but you are using the internet.

2. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

I knew this type of shit was going on. That's why I find it extra funny using trigger words randomly when searching online. While they keep taking away our freedoms, we should keep excercizing that freedom, as if no restriction exists.

A government like this, shouldn't have our consent, (Regardless of you political orientation.) We should all be able to agree that this crosses the line; Also that fundamental rights like the freedom of speech, should never be infringed.

3. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

Petty Obama-loving excuse! The white house doesn't own the internet!!!

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Lol what? My comment was directed at what resistance is futile said. it was just an aside. Carry on.

5. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

So many right wing terrorist sympathizers here. They rag on their own government for trying to stop the Timothy McVeigh's and Boston Bombers, claiming invasion of privacy. There's nothing lower than a traitor. You're no different that McVeigh.

6. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

oh, my bad. I thought you were saying people should get spied on, cause we use the internet. Sorry! I didn't even read his post till just now.

7. odonII

odonII O

Spying:

Verb
    Work for an organization by secretly collecting information about enemies or competitors.
    Observe (someone) furtively.

The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live -- did live, from habit that became instinct -- in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized.

In '1984' citizens may or may not be being monitored at all times, and all citizens were aware an object in one room could monitor them (I guess it didn't monitor them if they went into another room, say the toilet or bedroom)

I would say this is nothing like '1984'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22813893

8. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Google it ;)

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Not at all. I've been pissed about this since the patriot act.

I do think this is a case of not enough, a little too late. I wish I had seen this level of outrage when the patriot act was passed. Congress was granted broad powers for intelligence gathering years ago and now they are using the powers they gave themselves.

10. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

BWAH HA HA HA HA! What a moron! The shit head that leaked the phone records scandal, is a 29 year old, high school drop out, working for the CIA. He was making $200 thousand a year, living in Hawaii. And he threw it all away, and is now holed up in Hong Kong, which is communist China. He's running out of money, and trying to get political asylum in Iceland. Maybe China will give him a job, hacking U.S. intelligence computers. Timothy McVeigh would be proud.

11. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Do you think that whatever a government does is always right and that objecting to any of it is treason?

What is your definition of loyalty and treason? Loyalty to the country and it's people or loyalty to the current government, no matter how, why and what it does ?

12. odonII

odonII O

Metadata mining, apparently.

Judging by the way Americans tend to behave, get ready for more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rDOPcCxHOI"]SWAT bust down wrong door - YouTube

If you think the government looks at EVERYTHING you do (that is possible,) and believe this has been going on for a long time, and have not changed your behaviour - then, ultimately, imho, you do think you are doing nothing wrong.
    So what is there to worry about?
    To be fair, I do hate that particular phrase, but it is something most people think with regards to many things they do in life.

13. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

I think that nuking a quarter million civilians in Nagasaki and Hiroshima was wrong. I think the Korean war was wrong. I think that the Vietnam war was wrong. I think that taking Palestine away from the Muslims, and giving it to the Jews was way wrong. I think that the Iraq war was wrong. And I think that the war based U.S. economy is moronic. I think that the Supreme Court appointing George Bush president was the worst wrong in my lifetime.

But there's a big difference in objecting to those things, and helping the enemies of my country. Not to mention, throwing the good life away for a life in a polluted cesspool that's ten times more crowed that NYC, and run by a country that's a thousand times more cruel on human rights. If you're gonna have a chance of changing this country for the better, you're not going to do it by being stupid.

14. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

It is possible to be invisible in America. Probably not so easy in England. Don't have a phone, or a computer, or a job, or even a place to live. Eat out of dumpsters, with one change of clothes, a sleeping bag and a small tarp. There's still wilderness here. And the Rainbow Gathering is in just a couple of weeks.

15. odonII

odonII O

rjhangover

I do think people should have the choice not to live like that. But, yeah, I guess so. My point was there sometimes is an overreaction on all sides. But, imho, most people won't change what they do, because, ultimately, they realise there isn't much to worry about.

16. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Have you guys heard what the whistleblower said? He explained in great detail why he did what he did. He's now hiding in a hotel in Hong Kong, where the US says it would have difficulty extraditing him.

Great interview with him by the Guardian from Hong Kong!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/09/edward-snowden-nsa-whistleblower-surveillance?guni=Network%20front:network-front%20full-width-1%20bento-box:Bento%20box:position1

This guy is a HERO!

The one thing he said, that I think speaks volumes about how intrusive this NSA spy system is, was when he pointed out that from his desk he could look up nearly anything on anyone. No court order, no permission, no supervision, no oversight at all. And you don't have to be a foreigner either. It was ease and the facility to spy on Americans that turned this man into a whistleblower!

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm sorry to be blunt but you're full of shit. If this was happening under a Republican president I am quite positive you would be first in line to condemn it.

This was set into motion by a Republican president and it is being carried out by a Democrat. Get off the party train already because it doesn't make a difference which party is in power or which side you find yourself on.

18. odonII

odonII O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yB3n9fu-rM"]NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden: 'I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things' - YouTube

19. skip

skip Founder Administrator

So Odon, what do you think of this guys actions? What should be done with him?

What is the reaction in the UK, where your gov't was involved too in this spy game on Americans.

You see the UK spies on Americans for the US gov't, because the UK doesn't have the laws prohibiting spying on Americans like we do in the USA.

So my guess is that in the event of an immediate crisis, like a pending bomber, the UK will sidestep US law and listen in on phone conversations, read emails, etc.

20. odonII

odonII O

Skip

I don't believe everything he has said, and do wonder what he is leaving out.
    I don't believe he was upfront about what he could and could not do with out authority.
    For instance, I don't believe this: 'No court order, no permission, no supervision, no oversight at all.'
    I do think if he wanted to do the things he says he probably could.
    But that doesn't mean it was happening on a regular basis.
    I would like to know when he had the epiphany that the NSA was so powerful they could wipe him out when ever they liked.
    He does say that it was a creeping realisation, but that seems like a little bit of a cop-out.
    A person that said: 'I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things … I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded. That is not something I am willing to support or live under.' - seems a rather strange person to willingly go work for the CIA and the NSA.
    But I am willing to believe that his political persuasions, and his ideological opinions grew as time passed - even though you can trace his 'allegiances' back quite a number of years.

Nobody I know is talking about the supposed UK government involvement.
    More generally speaking, groups such as Liberty have had the normal reaction.
    You wouldn't be surprised in the reactions of the various groups/organisations/government bodies.

I do agree with him about it should be our choice rather than the governments.

I think he'll end up in prison rather than swimming with the fishes (as it were).
    Edit: I don't really have an opinion on what should be done with him.

On a random note: Don't you think he has a really annoying voice?