Returning to study after a long rest period

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Face Eater, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Face Eater

Face Eater Banned

Well, I start University in March after about 5 years of working and traveling. I have completely forgotten the finer points of writing essays so I am reading a nice, concise little book about it...still I'm feeling a little daunted.

Have any of you returned to study after a long period of not doing any sort of formal writing or book learning? If so, how did you find it?

2. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

Your semester starts in March? CrAzY.

3. Xac

Xac Visitor

Dude i started uni for the first time last year and i got a high distinction for one of my essay's you'll be fine.

4. Xac

Xac Visitor

Yeah its crazy when you're unemployed like me.

5. Face Eater

Face Eater Banned

Is it easy? Is the workload hard? I'm just curious. I want to know what I am in for. I am about twice as intelligent as I was in high school, but at the same time I lack the organization skills and enthusiasm.

6. Unknown American

Unknown American Rogue Capitalist

Yet did it myself. You will be fine. I was a better student when I went back after experiencing some real life learning.

In 3 years I will be Studying in Bogota Colombia. The difference will be I will be learning and turning in homework in Spanish.

Piece of cake for you:cheers2:

7. Xac

Xac Visitor

Ahhh you havent studied at uni before? well then, if you learned how to do your essays from highschool.... you haven't learned to do essay's.

Well, the workload wasnt much, and the work wasnt hard, but i did do part time last year and i will be doinig full time this year so i dont really know about work load myself.

But if you enjoy what you're doing you dont need to be the most organized person in the world (it does help alot though) im not. Anyway, they teach you what you need to know, you get hand outs explaining things like referencing and what ever else you need to know.

8. Face Eater

Face Eater Banned

Thankyou friends. That was some excellent information and advice.

Xac, did you study any PES humanities subjects in year 12? I had to write university style essays for 3 of my subjects. I was at Uni for a month or so before I quit the first time and the only difference I found was that the referencing is much stricter.

I think I will be fine. Mostly I am just frightened of "only passing" because I have lost the knack. I want to do well.

9. Xac

Xac Visitor

Depends what you're aiming for i guess, if you're already doing the degree you want, then you only need to "pass". i suppose if you want to transfer it might be important to do really well.

What are you studying?

10. Arlandis

Arlandis Visitor

I had a year off in between school and uni

I took no notes for two of my classes, and didnt hand in the essays for 33% of the grade for them, but managed to pass both of them

then for another class I wrote an essay on Vikings & Satanism and got an A for it

then I didnt study at all for my other classes but still managed to pass the exams

so Im sure you'll do fine :p

11. Face Eater

Face Eater Banned

Bachelor of Media/ Bachelor of Arts Double Degree.

I will be doing it part time because I like my job and want to keep it for at least a year...so really, easing my way in won't be that hard. I'm probably going to start off with some philosophy subjects.

How about you xacness? What is your favourite haunt at the Uni? I like the Barr Smith. Are you one of those people that participate in Uni life or are you just there to study?

12. Xac

Xac Visitor

I can be a bit of a shut in and doing part time, i just went there to study, then home. I'm doing honours degree in psychology. I applied for a membership at Union hall.

I thought that Uni S.A. was more the place people for media and visual arts?

13. Face Eater

Face Eater Banned

Thats cool, I think I will be the shut in type as well.

Honours Degree in psych? Wow, thats a hard one to get into. Congratulations. I did some psych during my first attempt and it drove me crazy but I have a new respect for the profession now.

About media, not necessarily. UniSA is probably the better place as far as industry is concerned, but the media and journalism course are both really rigid have little or no electives and can not be combined with other degrees. With the course I am doing I have a lot of free choice and can major in two different things. I don't see how teaching someone all about journalism but not giving them a broad understanding in other issues can create good journalists. I think thats why Adelaide created the double degree. Media is but a medium after all, society and people are the essence.

I hope that made sense. It was wishy washy.

14. Xac

Xac Visitor

Yeah it's a hard one, tbh i don't know how i got it, i dont even have a TER, all i know is i did really well on the STAT test.

Yeah it makes sense, don't get me started on the media though :p

15. Face Eater

Face Eater Banned

I worked my arse off to get a TER. I hate you. :p