Retiring From Hedonism

Discussion in 'Hedonism' started by TheSamantha, Jul 8, 2016.

1. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Went to happy hour last night. Enjoyed myself. Talked on the phone with Caleb and ate and drank. Liked being around people. Noticed everyone was being positive and friendly. Hedonism was at work.

Well today I lost Caleb. We had another fight, this time about those shootings. He's LIVID about them and made that clear. He refused to be nuanced. He went on and on and on about it. He couldn't agree to disagree. He said Liberians eat monkeys. He said my grandfather was probably corrupt. He said I don't care about myself.

My only other friend is Annie. She usually only calls to ask for advice. The last time I saw her was three months ago, and that was only because she wanted me to give the lecture to her class on swinging. Before that I hadn't seen her in a year. And I saw her that time because she was feeling lonely. That was the first time she ever invited me to her house.

I asked my mom why it seems like my sister (not to mention the people on Facebook) are so social and have so many friends. She said I have nothing to do with myself and I need to go to the gym. She said my cousin isn't worrying about if my sister has friends because she's trying to figure out how to feed her dogs.

She continued, saying people normally move on and get married or get involved in their careers.

Looks like just when I was starting to like people, I have been forced to be a loner because I'm surrounded by self-absorbed, boring, and greedy people. Oh well. At least I have this website.

1 person likes this.
  2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I don't know which shootings you're talking about...it's getting hard to keep up with them anymore.

Hit the gym, go to a dance class, martial arts, something to get out in the public every now and then and just be yourself.

F**k'em if they can't take a joke.
    Your best friend is always yourself.

1 person likes this.
  3. P_Bateman

P_Bateman Members

What's your age? I'm experiencing the same at 28 . I moved from the greatest friends and we still stay in touch but as far as friends in my life their all busy with their endevors as am i. I enjoy my solitude though. As for the shootings damn!!! The world's a sad place, guess it always had been

4. P_Bateman

P_Bateman Members

I miss martial arts also. Been working alot but hope to get back to kickboxing and bio in August

5. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I guess I could approach from the standpoint of doing jobs I enjoy doing and finding enjoyable solitary activities if I can't socialize.

6. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's not your fault that the world is full of ass holes.

I really feel for anyone who is sifting through the social scene during these times.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Nah Sam...about your friend having such a reaction about the shootings that it was the ultimate cause for the break up...seriously fuck that shit. :) Being around extremely intense people regarding politics and events make me nervous, especially according to what they say and what "side" they take. I honestly think you are well free of a potential problem. People like you described him being usually have deep issues with those that don't think exactly like them. I just don't see you as being happy (eventually) with a personal/social/political censor for a boyfriend.

I promise you...there will be someone else.

They will find you, probably when you least expect it.

It makes me cringe to think about that nowadays.

I believe one is subject to meet special people in their lives in all sorts of places - the gas station, grocery story, convenience store or Lowes... nowadays bars seem almost dangerous places unless you are with and STAY with whomever you go there with!

Going to a gym is a really good place to not only get in shape but to meet someone with endurance and desire to be other than a lazy ass. :D

1 person likes this.
  8. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

He wasn't my bf thank goodness. He was my best friend.

My boyfriend is awesome.

9. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

lol That sounds better already. :D

10. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I joined an atheist meetup group and a feminist meetup group. I also taught about religion today for my class.

People can be fun.

1 person likes this.