restoring hymens moral dillema

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by jonny2mad, May 7, 2007.

1. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

This is going slightly off track the thing that interested me isnt that there are some people that kill people for not being virgins , its more how do you best respond to it .

if you restore hymens and create the myth that there are more virgins arent you making it more likely that the people without restored hymens will be killed , on the other hand you have that individual asking for the hymen restoration can you sacrifice her by banning the practice .

if you accept the right to choose for a women to have sex why wouldnt she have the right to choose to have hymen restoration .

what if she wanted female circumcision and how could you tell that it was something she wanted and not that her culture was putting pressure to have it

2. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

The hadiths, of course, are a sketchy source. Many Muslims reject the hadiths since they are not considered to be the word of God. Numerous liberal Muslim scholars point to the hadiths aa conservative fabrications invented by repressive Muslims leaders to justify their rule. In fact, acceptance of the hadiths marks a significant split between conservative and liberal Muslims. Still, the Qur'an does not comment on hymens. It does, of course, as you've pointed out, contain passages that support violent behaviour. Who would deny that? The point, however, is you'll find similar passages in the Bible too. I'm not going to defend religion, I'm an atheist. But it should be recognised, whenever anyone makes the case that Islam is a violent religion, that first, the majroity of Muslims, like anyone else, are not bloodthirsty savages and second, all religions are steeped in blood and many religious texts support violence. The issue of hymens is not simply a religious matter. It is a matter, inherent to almost all societies to varying degrees, of the subjugation of women by men. Religion has been used to justify this subjugation, invariably because it was men who wrote the texts. However in this case, it is the oppression of women by men that is at issue and must, without regard to faith or lack of faith, be opposed.

3. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

What is a hymen?

4. lithium

lithium frogboy

It's what you sing in church.

5. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Hahahahahahaha!!!

6. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

not sure if you really don't know or if you are just being ironically sarcastic...

7. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

8. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

even I know what that is, its what people say at the end of prayer, its deadly serious and shouldn't be forgotten
    S

9. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

Shouldn't you be working? ;)

10. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I am I'm just in the middle of talking about group work and compromise- thanks mother!
    S

11. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

Haha! No problem, I like to help where I can. ;)