restoring hymens moral dillema

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by jonny2mad, May 7, 2007.

1. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

ok is it ethically right to restore hymens making a girl appear to be a virgin ,lets say you have someone come to you and say my father and brothers going to kill me if I dont have a hymen for my wedding night .

are you just helping that young women ?
    or by doing that are you helping to support a system where girls get killed without hymens , and that women dont openly have control on whether they have sex before marriage

can you look at the big picture and ignore the individual or do you help the individual and maybe hurt more people in the long run

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article1756072.ece
    read the article , I dont want this thread to be about how certain cutures are crazy seeing virginity as such a big thing just on whats the most ethical way to deal with it

you are the doctor or the medical association what do you do

2. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

lol, how ridiculous. What is it with people and "virginity"? :S really odd

3. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

P.s-yeah sorry i know you didnt want the thread to be about that...but i just had to say...

4. daisy_chain

daisy_chain Member

if it's going to save her life then go for it, it's not her fault she was brought up in an oppressive culture. i know that technically then you're condoning the fact that she'd get killed without it, but i think it's far more important to save a life that's immediately at risk than to go for the moral high ground. make sure she isn't killed, then try and change the system in a less risky manner

5. sentient

sentient Senior Member

Basically youre on about some crap culture that is about as ethical as a forged £10 note
    Ever heard of someones right not to be a virgin and the preservation of a persons right to live unencumbered by the threat of death - you seem to imply that the girl should acceed to the brothers threats to kill her whereas he should be locked up for 10 years for issuing death threats.

If some dude doesnt like the fact his bride isnt a virgin then basically he just needs to get real ! honestly these cultures where men feel they have the right to make threats of death to women who break some barbaric code bsed on the lie that god exists is about as 21st century as stoning people to death

time for evolution to sweep it away and I do mean destroy it

6. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

so would you ban people from doing hymen restoration , would you do one if you were a doctor

7. PinkMoon

PinkMoon Senior Member

The think that strikes me here.. is that you can break your hymen without losing your virginity.. It happens to loads of girls - through heavy sports like horse riding...
    hm

8. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

You can break them by just by using a tampon.

I think I agree with Daisy Chain on this one. If the life is in immediate danger, then save that life, and try to change the system on the side.

Sentient, weather it's right or wrong, it will still happen. So should all doctors, refuse to do the surgery and those girls will just be killed until the Muslim world decides to have a revolution? That is a ridiculous notion.

9. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Were you riding a horse when you lost yours? :tongue:

10. PinkMoon

PinkMoon Senior Member

none of your business

11. lithium

lithium frogboy

I was riding a horse when I lost mine:stunned:

12. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

I learn something new everyday about the members here on the UKForums. :eek:

13. Peace-Phoenix

I only ask because I lost my virginity riding a horse :tongue:

14. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

:confused:

15. dapablo

dapablo redefining

I wouldn't of said bestiality counted. :)

I'd agree the doctor is obliged to assist the woman in preserving her life, we should also condemn any society that requires the like of any woman.

16. PinkMoon

PinkMoon Senior Member

meany! im not a horse.

17. Peace-Phoenix

Well now, everyone would have been happy to assume bestiality until you said that. Actually, scrap that, I expect they will still think bestiality :tongue:

18. DQ Veg

DQ Veg JUSTYNA'S TIGER

'But other doctors are prepared to deliver them. Jacques Milliez, head of the department of gynaecology and obstetrics at Saint-Antoine hospital, Paris, told Le Monde: “I worked in Algeria as a junior doctor and when I was on call at night I saw these young women whose throats had been slit because they were suspected of having lost their virginity." '

Wow, what a 'peaceful' religion. I knew this article was about Islam before I even read it.

Women being beaten half to death because they're not virgins, and having their throats slit for even being suspected of losing their virginity.

Anybody that belives all this rhetoric about Islam being a 'peaceful religion' belongs in a looney bin.

I see a lot of women in the Houston area that have converted to Islam, and I think that they must be out of their freaking minds.

Muslims should at least just be honest, and just go ahead and admit that their religion advocates institutionalized violence in a zillion different ways, and quit wasting their breath telling the West that theirs isn't a violent religion. What a bunch of barbarians.

19. Peace-Phoenix

Quote me a passage in the Qur'an that suggests women without hymens should be beaten. Failing that, prove to me that the majority of Muslim men might act in such a manner. Failing that, stop making such ridiculous blanket statements....

20. DQ Veg

DQ Veg JUSTYNA'S TIGER

Punishments prescribed for the loss of virginity in the Hadith:

Sahi Muslim No. 4206:

"A woman came to the prophet and asked for purification by seeking punishment. He told her to go away and seek God's forgiveness. She persisted four times and admitted she was pregnant. He told her to wait until she had given birth. Then he said that the Muslim community should wait until she had weaned her child. When the day arrived for the child to take solid food, Muhammad handed the child over to the community. And when he had given command over her and she was put in a hole up to her breast, he ordered the people to stone her. Khalid b. al-Walid came forward with a stone which he threw at her head, and when the blood spurted on her face he cursed her."

And in the Quran itself:
    Quran- 4:15 "If any of your women are guilty of lewdness, take the evidence of four (reliable) witness from amongst you against them; if they testify, confine them to houses until death do claim them. Or God ordain for them some (other) way."

Quran-24:2 "The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication-flog each of them with hundred stripes: Let no compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by God, if ye believe in God and the last day."