rest stops

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by ahimsa, Jun 7, 2004.

1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Whats has been your experiences on sleeping in a reststop?

Especially in Oregon?

Thanks

2. mamasoul

mamasoul Member

i've done it. i feel a lot safer doing it when i'm with other people, but there have been times that i was just too tired to care.

some suggestions....(especially for females, but good ideas for all)....
    don't stop at those small one that just have a bathroom. they tend to be poorly lit.
    TA's and such will let you sleep there, but don't park right next to the building.
    if you can avoid rest areas completely, do it. park in a hotel parking lot.

3. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Thanks Mamasoul,

Anyway, I think I'm just going to try and find one of those reststops with a bunch of truckers. A least there are a lot of people.

I'm a six foot five dude, so I have that on my side, but it doesn't mean bad things won't happen. I'll just have to size up the scene and make a game time decision.

It'll probably only be 5-6 hours of shut eye anyway.

Thanks

4. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

Some rest stops have security guards. But nonetheless, it is always best to stop and sleep during the day...even though that can be hard if you stay in your car, the car gets so hot this time of year. But yeah, you are always safer going to one of the bigger ones with the food court and there are normally alot of truckers there as well. I usually cover my windows pretty good so that people cant see in....then for all they know there could be more than just me in the car.....and it keeps the lights out. For some strange reason I love rest stops and sleeping over at them. You hear the huge trucks going in and out and it just has this very travel-esque feeling about it. Its so fun!

5. Smojke

Smojke Member

Find a 24 hour store(Walmart) and maybe sleep there, personally I would find a quiet road, pull over and move off into the woods several yards or so, that way if someone finds your car they won't find you. Small tent makes it nice, but if you have to sleep in your car, try a truck stop and put up curtains inside your abode.
    Dave

6. Acorn

Acorn Member

i have slept at rest stops before, not too comfortable sleeping in your car though. make sure it has quite a few people.

7. mamasoul

mamasoul Member

i don't know...walmarts kind of sketch me out....

as for the curtain thing....they sell this sticky velcro stuff at most craft stores.....stick one side to the car and the other side to some fabric...easy way to rig up curtains and easy to take up and down....

8. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Its Wal-Mart company policy to let people park and sleep overnight.

9. asnakeinthegrass

asnakeinthegrass Member

i travel alot on both I-95 and I-40. I am a single male, only 5 foot 8 and when I am making a trip from florida to new york or to arkansas, I always sleep at rest stops. I have had no problems. The road is so busy that there are always cars coming and going. I am sure for a female traveler, more precaution would be needed, but over all, rest stops are a good place to sleep off the road. I usually drive like 10-12 hours and sleep for 6 or so.
    The only weird, strange or unusual thing I ever encountered at a rest stop was when I was asked for a lite by this man, in the rest room who was dressed up as a female i mean completly,heels, mini-skirt, breasts? . She, no, wait, he never said anything else to me and I went on my way amazed once again of the diversity of our world.
    Anyhow, I personally have never had problems at rest stops, thats my vote.

10. ButterCup

ButterCup Member

I myself have had no prob in rest stops. Some are pretty hip and let you sleep in the "picnic area" on the tables. Wal-Marts I dont like much unless you have an RV .

Be Safe
    love
    Zenia

11. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Well, I drove from La to Seattle at the beginning of the summer and seattle to LA yesterday. I haven't had a computer all summer and I'm a little surprised this thread is still around.

Anyway, I slept in several stops, but it was so warm that I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours. I didn't have any problems other than the heat and the noise of comings and goings.

Thannks for all your input

12. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

Anyone remember the green river killer up in the northwest?????

13. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

I slept in one that was ON the "Oregon Trail" once. Felt safe enough. But, it was November, and I was in a car.

14. Senk

Senk Member

I've slept in quite a few rest stops in Oregon, usually in a Van. I've never had any problems. Only time I've ever had problems was actually in a campsite outside of Ashland Or, Got my entire backpack stollen from a buddy's car while I was sleeping next to it! Luckily they just took my shower/laundry quarters and ditched the bag by the exit of the park. Good luck and happy travelling.

15. raven23

raven23 Member

Not all Wal-Marts allow you to camp out. the Wal-Mart in Eugene is in a mall or something with a tiny parking lot and they have no overnight parking signs posted. Newport on the coast also doesnt allow it. That's all I know about in Oregon, but the most non-friendly Wal-Marts seem to be in Florida.
    I've slept in upright in a car in a few Wal-marts, the one in New Orleans was the sketchiest, but it was OK. In Memphis there's a patch of woods across the street. We parked and I pitched a tent in the ravine. It was beautiful.
    Wal-Marts location on the outskirts of most towns means nearby woods. Park the car and sleep under the stars.

16. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

Watch out "camping" in a rest stop, even if they're cool the sprinklers might automatically go off at 4am, leaving you cold, wet and still way tired.

17. urbangal

urbangal Member

Driven from CA to NM to Arizona a couple of times. No problem. Nobody bothered me and I'm a female. I'm glad they don't bother me because unless I've gotten some sleep I can be a real bitch >:)
    I hope this sleeping in a tiny toyota cab is over once my bus is found.
    Do this; keep your head on and stay clean at these places. With all the scary yellow flashes goin' on from the whiteout house, ya never know.