Respect the gender spectrum

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by unfocusedanakin, Feb 14, 2019.

1. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

The Supreme Court is hearing a case today or something. A woman sued for being fired after her gender reassignment. LGBTQ workplace rights case hearing at Supreme Court on Tuesday - CNNPolitics Thoughts?

I feel like the Supreme Court should uphold her civil rights. I don't think she should have been fired. I wonder if there isn't some convoluted trumped up reason for letting her go beside the fact that she had a sex reassignment.

I try to look at the bigger picture here. This doesn't have to be about someone being petty about their own neurotic disposition. I believe in gender identity. And in this instance a person went as far as to have their body match their gender identity; steps not everyone can claim to have taken. So with that I think there should be fewer questions about the credibility of her status as a woman. I believe her. I hope the court does too, otherwise people can be fired for their gender identity?

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The case has nothing to do with LGBT

Its in the supreme court because all those 3 cases by-passed their state laws and tried to use the civil rights act instead

You have laws for different states, you also have the Equal Employment Opportunity Act which still doesnt have a clause for sexual orientation

Most other developed countries have equal opportunity legislation with a clause for at least sexual oriention, some for gender identity.

Your Civil Rights act is not meant to be used in this way

soulcompromise likes this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Well. As of right now.
    Depending on how this goes in the Supreme Court, it could very well be decided tha sexual orientation and gender identity should be included under civil rights protection

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Not really, Employment act is Employment specific and with the evangelicals in your country you'd have an easier time getting the sexual orientation clause in that than the broader civil rights act. Pollies have been trying for decades to get it changed, it keeps getting knocked back

As for gender identity, most developed countries have a clause for sexual orientation, but I think its only about 3 or 4 that have a clause for gender identity. Thats a bit of a minefield, is a seperate issue

You have a whole lot more sexual orientation employment discrimination cases going through various courts per year let alone the last 10 years. One of those three cases goes back to 2009 or 2011

There definately isnt consensus amongst LGBT on how best to get it done. Far more likely to get that clause in the Employment act before the Civil Rights Act

5. soulcompromise

International Pronouns Day: A guide to personal pronouns - CNN
    [​IMG]

The article sheds a little light on the pronouns situation.

6. soulcompromise

---from above linked article