Requiem for a dream

Discussion in 'Art' started by billhicksrulez, May 18, 2004.

1. billhicksrulez

billhicksrulez Member

Talk about arts,

Requiem for a dream:

Who loves this film?

2. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

yeah i think it was more of a piece of art then a movie. especially when i watched it stoned, i noticed the majority of it was music and dramatic pictures.

it was good though.

3. migle

migle Senior Member

Yeah!! It's one of the movies I got more impressed, I had really bad time watching the last scenes, I couldn't almost sleep after watching it. Darren Aronofsky is a fucking good director.

4. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

Well there is absolutely no doubt that Requiem is my favorite movie. And Daron Aronofsky isn't just a good director, he's a fucking god. I've seen this movie well over fifty times and amazingly even the first time I watched it I wasn't disturbed by how graphic it is.

People who like this movie should post their top five favorite movies (besides Requiem) or something... since on a regular favorite movie thread there is bound to be a shitload of those teenage boy humor shit excuses for a movie.

Mine are (in no order): A Beautiful Mind - The Red Violin - Donnie Darko - American Beauty - Amistad

Now... get back on topic! This movie is orgasmic time and time again. If you haven't seen it... NOW! get it NOW!

5. billhicksrulez

billhicksrulez Member

But I also like the top 5 idea. What about:

apocalypse now
    happiness
    lucia y el sexo
    human traffic
    koyaanisqatsi
    dr. strangelove, or how...

6. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i didnt think it was THAT good. the message wasnt too important.

one of my favorite movies is 8 crazy nights.

7. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

i love requeim! its intense, beauitful and shocking, the imagery is fantastic...mind blowingly wow...

my top five are probably
    requeim for a dream
    the returm to oz
    american beauty
    labyrinth
    amelie

hehe, bit random but yeh!

love luchi xx

8. ImmortalDissident

Fractual, what did you think the message of the movie was?
    ...because the movie was made to show that a simple life is better. It was made to show that being addicted to anything (not just drugs), will ruin your life. It was essentially a very hip movie.

9. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

not a very mind blowing message if you ask me.

so most things are better in moderation, and are more exciting that way. i knew that before i watched the movie.

10. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

A fine film, a true work of art, reguardless of it's message.

in no order...
    reservoir dogs
    west side story
    pulp fiction
    ghost world
    amelie
    kill bill
    haiku tunnel
    downtown

11. ImmortalDissident

I never said it was "mind-blowing"... I may say that about Donnie Darko, but not Requiem. The artistry is mind-blowing for Requiem, but certainly not the message. I still think it is a profound message to make to say... someone who does drugs (if they are willing to recieve the message) or to someone, ah... I don't know. This isn't an argument, so you are free to think what you will of the movie.

12. ImmortalDissident

...and I agree that Reservoir Dogs is an excellent film, along with Momento.

13. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

debates are healthy...

what is so mind blowing about donnie darko? what is the profound message in that?

from what i saw of it, it looked like a bunch of bs, but i didnt see the whole thing

14. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

i thought this was a great movie.

15. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Donnie Darko has a lot more depth to it than first appearing but its not questioning the human view on the world so much.. as in how we should view the world... it more questions god and the concept of time travel whilst creating this super hero, Donnie Darko.. he doesnt know hesa super hero.. he has to work it out for himself... so in sence its also about how we can do anything if we put our mind to it... but it isa very very clever film, especially considering its the directers first full length film and it had a reasonably low budget forf such a popular outcome.

16. paintedjames

paintedjames Member

i once saw a movie, that had no words, that was showing the horrible realites that lay in wait for anyone who would take them seriuosly (sounding a bit like hunter here)

but this film was no fucking leary...it was the truth man, and i'll be damned but i never got the title of the movie...

if you saw it you would know what i'm talking about...
    it starts off showing all these mind blowing beautiful scenes of deserts, mtns, oceans, ect...then shows a road...then shows the city at the end of the road...then a little later after you get into the city, it shows chickens getting their beaks chaulderized and ect ect all the horrible shit that we choose to remain unaware of so that we may continue to live a "normal life:" and remain oblvious to the obvoius
    this ringing any bells? i hope so, i really want to remember what it was called..

17. migle

migle Senior Member

And what about the photography in the movie, it's amazing.
    [​IMG]
    I don't like tops for everything, but i do have some favourite movies too:

American beauty, Fight Club, Matrix (first one, the other two suck), Lucia y el sexo (all Julio Medem's movies are wonderful), Memento, Suicide Club, Kairo.

18. ImmortalDissident

Yeah, Donnie Darko touches on time travel and the worth of a human life. I think a message in it that many people don't see is that ultimately you control the fate of your own life, but also affect everyone around you in the smallest details. One of the best characters in the film besides Donnie and Frank of course, is Charita. She's not in the film a whole lot, but actually does play an intricate roll.

19. billhicksrulez

billhicksrulez Member

What you describe, paintedjames, sounde a bit like the Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Naqoyqatsi, trilogy to me.
    I haven't seen the third yet, but the first (koya) is in my top 5. Actually I recommend it to anybody that likes philosophy and Darwin. It is a history of the world without words. With music of Philip Glass. Breathtaking shots that are combined with beautiful music, but the message is horribly realistic.
    See it!

20. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

i liked darko, but, to be perfectly honest, it was'nt the least bit "mind-blowing" . I got the message, and i thought it was a great film, but it in now way blew my mind. 2001 space oddesy, now that was something to behold.