Reputation Points: A Clarification

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Peace-Phoenix, May 10, 2004.

1. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

A number of you have asked about the reputation points system. Most of you will probably have worked out that you can add or subtract reputation from another member by clicking on the scales underneath their posts and adding a comment about them. You can view all the comments made about you under your User CP. The default reputation is 10. You may have noticed that no matter how much reputation you give out or take away, the total stays at 10. This is because the system does not seem to be fully operational at the moment, and it seems all our RP Power levels are set to 0, meaning we give out or take away 0 reputation each time. No doubt this will change, and I expect depending on your member status you may be able to give out or take away more reputation. Personally I just see this as a bit of harmless fun amongst friends. But if anyone wants to opt out, it is possible to turn your reputation off in your User CP. Hope that helped....

Peace,
    Peace Phoenix

2. BornInTheWrongGenera

BornInTheWrongGenera Member

Thanks for the clarification. I was utterly confused. :confused:

I don't mind it all that much. :) Actually, I don't even pay it much attention. lol

3. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

Ahhh, I've seen the light...

4. skip

skip Founder Administrator

There's a bit more to it than that. The reason most of you have no RP is because you yourself haven't reached that level yet. There are many factors involved that determine your ability to affect the reputation of others. Until those factors are met, including having a good reputation yourself, you have no power to affect others.

5. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

so how then do you get a good reputation to be able to give others reputations if we cant give people good reps until we havea reputation ourselves?!!! is it just the moderators that can rep us up at the mo? im confuddled!

6. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Apparently the way it will work is that I must give out the first (when I finally get a chance) and those that receive it will be able to give it to others and it will spread from the "top" down.

This way the system won't be abused by those who only want to improve their own reputation & that of their friends. It will have to be earned!

As the system matures, it will take care of itself.

7. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

so ermm...whats the point of it then? seems quite elitist and pointless to me. bigging people making them honourary members or sumthin, dont get it ...dont get it...

8. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

I totally agree with Chickabean ... elitism is a good name for it. "Popularity contest" is another. It's bound to become friends voting for their friends. And people marking down perfectly valid opinions just because they don't agree with them. Stifling, backwards, playground stuff. Get rid of it.

9. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

yeh it will defeinately be a popularity contest, poeple becoming higher up or lower down becuase of their posts surely goes against the ethos of this site being one of free speech? surely this will only beign to condemn those with controversial/differening views and put them below others ...i think this is gona be really unhelpful and silly. i also think the start that it starts at the top with skip and works it way down as people gettin good reps is really bad, why would we want a heirarchy?! this is ridiculous! i really think this rep this is a bad call.

showmet...care to start a revolt? ;)

10. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

As I said before, you can disable your reputation. Skip has, it's all relatively harmless as far as I can see....