Republicans show their true selves

Discussion in 'Politics' started by scratcho, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

What group and what act of terrorism?

I've never once heard about alt right terrorism by the supposed left leaning media. I would think they would be all over that.

2. Kerri

Kerri Members

I'd agree about alt-right. The neo-nazi's and white supremecists groups are terrorists though

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

There is a really, really thin line between hate speech and terrorism...or plotting terrorism, at any rate.

I'm just gonna repeat myself, I think its super naive to think white supremacists are content to just talk about how they want to oppress the rights of minorities

No action can constitutionally be taken against their speech but I think they should at least be carefully monitered the way other terroristic organizations are, in order to ensure their speech doesn't turn to action .

tumbling.dice and scratcho like this.
  5. Kerri

Kerri Members

The 1st amendment isn’t limitless. It does not protect one from threatening - which this group has done. I think if we’re being honest we can admit if this group wasn’t white they’d be monitored

6. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I read the bill. It wants to criminalize white nationalist groups. But, one, it doesn't mention any specific groups. That's pretty vague. And, two, it doesn't mention what they want to criminalize them for. It reads to me like they want to label specific groups as terrorists--regardless of whether or not a terrorist act has been committed--so that they can persecute them as terrorists.

Think about that.

Giving the government power to criminalize your group because they don't like you. This is the precedent Mike Pence needs set to start going after gay people.

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Here's the bill:
    It was sponsored by 19 Democrats. It failed as there was only one Democrat on the committee, Rep. John Ray Clemmons. He made a motion that it be discussed. No Republicans wished to discuss it.
    Republican Rep. Bob Ramsey said they didn't want to discuss it because they don't know anything about Neo-Nazis or white supremacists.
    They don't know any federal definitions of terrorism!!!

It took me about 60 seconds to find Title 22 Chapter 38 U.S. Code § 2656f.
    In addition there is Title 18 of the United States Code,
    And to save time 7 other federal definitions of terrorism.
    I'm thinking they are stupid, lazy, or just unwilling to address the issue of domestic terrorism and how it relates to terrorism in general.
    Or possibly all three. They won't even discuss it...think about that.
    But, that's just my opinion.

scratcho likes this.
  8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It says that the bills authors wanted to declare the two groups terrorists and to go after the CRIMINAL ELEMENTS --the CRIMINAL ELEMENTS in those organizations. ALL criminal elements should be brought to justice, whether nazis, white supremacists, politicians, religious people , big money people, law enforcement personnel or anyone else. i will stick up for those hate groups to say what they want. Nobody seems to have thought of the idea of showing up at their demos and laughing--laughing out loud at their shallow ideas. They obviously can't be shamed-------I think a crowd laughing at them as if they were telling jokes would be interesting

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I get where you're coming from and I understand why you would want to exercise caution on these matters with someone like Mike Pence in power

But at the same time I just dont see how white supremacists dont already fit into the way we define terrorist groups. The majority of terrorist related killings in the US last year were committed by white supremacists. Terrorist acts have been committed, that's the thing.

We would need to change the definition of terrorism itself to include LBGT and any other marginalized people. Whereas white supremacists already fit into the category of a terrorist organization(s), from what I can tell this bill just wants to acknowledge that

scratcho likes this.
  10. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I agree that it's dangerous to censor free speech. Where does it stop? But I am saddened by the right's eagerness to support Nazis because the left is vocal about not liking them. Why? Because they see them as the greater enemy. So depending on which right person you speak with you will find varying degree of support. Some of them REALLY supporting them because Nazis also dislike Islam. Not all to be fair many seem content to "troll" others with it so to speak while thinking nazis are not a real threat. But look how it upsets you. Look at how you want to censor people. Why do you wan to do that?

Germany is still a very free society yet Nazism has special rules about it which apply to nothing else because it's a special thing. It can be done. Despite this even in Germany I can still show Nazis symbols if I show they are in the context of art, studying history, or protest. So "free speech" exists. What I can not do is openly say I am Nazi which America allows yet ironically Nazis would not allow themselves. They hide behind laws they do not want. For example I am sure they would be fine with some kind of "brown pride" rally right? No they respect power and authority. The weak try to compromise the strong take and lead. Whites are strong so they should lead and tell others how to live. Brown pride is dangerous.

This bill did not pass because it's too dangerous for Republicans to take a stand on Nazis. They and the party are one and the same for many. The war against the left means they have to be netruel and allow anyone interested in Republicanism to have their views.

Not all Republicans but if you don't see that you are part of the problem. This can be admitted without making a villain of every Republican. Do you disagree?

11. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

When I think of all the bullshit I hear and read every day I'd say it would be a good thing to bitch slap a lot of so-called citizens. They don't need all that fucking freedom. They don't know what to do with it anyways.

12. scratcho

The moving of factories overseas is something the unions have zero power to stop. It's on the owners. Greed prevails.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  13. scratcho

Why do companies move overseas? Why not help the USA and pay a living wage, provide benefits and help the working class? Used to be that way. There can only be one answer to this question= there is not enough money for some. Worth billions? Move--you need MORE. No, again-- it's shut up and take what you're given, while we, the owners, the stock holders make the BIG bucks. That does not help the rep of capitalism.

14. deleted

deleted Visitor