Republicans are ruining American education

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Jun 12, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Here's a chart showing average teaching starting salaries and average salaries.
    Teacher Salaries in America.
    The starting range is $31,842 in Missouri to $51,359 in the District of Columbia. Of course different districts may pay higher or lower, these are averages.
    Annual income at minimum wage is $15,080.

The three months off that teachers get is not completely accurate as they have to earn (in PA) an additional 24 college credits within 6 years to obtain "permanent" certification. Then every 5 years they must complete an additional 6 college credits or 180 continuing credit hours to retain certification. This coursework is typically done over summers, at night, or on days off.
    Also teachers can't collect unemployment insurance during the summer when they are effectively laid off.

When I first started teaching in 1974, I qualified for food stamps. Things have improved since then.

2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Hmmmmmmm. Isn't it a tad misleading to compare average teachers' salaries in different countries without noting the cost of living in same countries?

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Tell that to the folks in Kansas.

4. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

The chart does include Greece, but also Norway where teachers get paid less than the U.S. and the cost of living is more.

5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

And the welfare benefits much more! A more meaningful set of comparisons was done by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development in Building a High Quality Teaching Profession: Lessons from Around the World. OECD calculated the ratio of the average salaries of teachers with 15 years’ experience to the average earnings of full-time workers with a college degree. The U.S. ranked 22nd out of 27 countries on this measure. In the U.S., teachers earned less than 60% of the average pay for full-time college-educated workers. That is comparable to Norway but significantly below that of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland (80% or more) and substantially below that of Spain, New Zealand,Australia, and Germany (90% or more).
    [​IMG]

6. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Touche.

7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Are people actually suggesting that teachers are in it for the...money?

That's hilarious.

McFuddy likes this.
  8. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

No, but people are actually suggesting that teachers need to survive, that many find it hard to get by without moonlighting, and that they also need the basic resources to do their work effectively. As the saying goes, "You get what you pay for." Only ignorance is free.

9. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Teacher pay is horrendous in this country. Has been for years. They should be paid much more. If anyone that goes to school with the notion of becoming a teacher, knows the end result pay and end result educational system. My hats off to any teacher. Its obvious you do it for the love of teaching. Because you are voluntarily subjecting yourself to low pay and an ever increasing pathetic place to work.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I never got people who wanted to be teachers while they were still in high school like year 10. Like, you're right in the midst of the public education system and in the classrooms with us hooligans. Like, fuck that. Why'd you wanna teach that shit? :tearsofjoy:

Some dudes in my classes brought the worst out of teachers to the point some even quit lol. I'd never thought about being a teacher and if I did, I quickly laughed that off.

Private school teaching probably different to what we endured in public school. Always seems more strict and y'all know what I think about strict behaviour. I think its good. Even in public, the strict teachers had respect over everyone.

11. MeAgain

Private schools can be more strict as they can select the students they want and throw out those they don't want. If you don't want to follow their rules they don't accept you. Problem students are expelled.

In the U.S. Public schools must accept everyone. If they choose to expel a student they must still provide them with an education. This means that if another school doesn't want them then the district that expelled them must provide individual tutors or some type of alternative school.

12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I received a warning from admin that hating teachers is against the rules

we should focus more on hating republicans

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  13. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Why should someone with a college degree work 2 jobs? That is a very American view "gee you can always work more if there is a problem". If they do that it means they are less focused and ready to teach kids. Working part time at Sears on weekends means no time to grade papers and no personal down time. It can be done but it should not be.

I don't know anywhere a teacher is making over 80K but if he is my guess would be he's in a upper class area probably a private school too. So the parents of those kids find the funds for the right education. We have a town like that near me too. You are lucky enough to get a job there it's really good money and every 3 years the textbooks and computers are replaced but the houses are near a million dollars. 30 min south the houses get cheaper but the wage are closer to minnium wage. The average person wanting to teach needs to be prepared for a low wage.

14. mcme

mcme lurker

The NYC and most Long Island school districts. And why on earth does a college degree entitle anyone to not need to work two jobs?? If it takes two to get you where you want to be, work two. Or take a higher risk, higher reward position.

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

because they want something to do or they want to be able to afford things beyond the standard comfortable lifestyle that their job already affords them.

i didn't say anything about working two jobs at once, i said they can get a summer job when they have fuckall to do besides continuing education, which doesn't sound all that time consuming (2 classes every 5 years, according to what meagain posted previously). they don't have to do it, i also know a couple teachers who travel all summer. but some want something to do with themselves, so they work.

i'm not sure on the exact details of the $85,000 person. i'm pretty sure she's at the public school there, and it's not a bad area but also not a million dollar home type area.

16. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

I’ve actually read one of those before. It’s a research case study. So let’s not call these things common practice

But it is fairly obvious people will have written about innovation in the learning process much like I have and obviously in much greater depth.

I never advocated team learning by the way. But considering this, and the nature of the wider work environment

Fuck the cons.

17. MeAgain

Don't get me wrong team learning has its place, it's just not a panacea.

18. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Teacher pay varies greatly by state all way from $75,000 on average in New York to $39,000 in South Dakota. The U.S. average is $56,000.
    http://oklahomawatch.org/2014/04/21/teacher-salaries-by-state/

19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

20. MeAgain