Republicans are ruining American education

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

No it isnt just Trump. Republicans were underfunding schools a long time before Trump came around. As i've already said,i speak from experience. Republican majority state, ranked in the bottom 3 in education. It has been this way for decades so it isnt just Trump, but appointing someone who wants to privatize all schools to be the head of the education department certainly isnt going to help

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  2. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

The teacher pay in the U.S. is about average compared the rest of the world.
    [​IMG]

3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Nah, pyramids channel universal energy to increase health, wisdom, tolerance and crap like that...or something.

Anyway, I went to a Catholic school for grades 1-6 and then transferred to public schools. In my own personal experience the public schools were much better. The Catholic school I went to was very small, however, so I'm not sure it is representative of all Catholic schools. The public schools also had actual science classes, very much a positive thing.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Ya know I don't come on here and talk about how 90% of the mechanics in the world are crooked or how 90% of the carpenters in the world don't know a 2 x 4 from their ass.

So because I express an opinion that happens to differ from someone else's that means I think I'm superior.
    I'm sorry but when someone levels baseless acquisitions against my profession I respond by asking for facts.
    If you can't respond with intelligent criticism, data, or facts, don't blame me for asking for it. Produce it.

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i accept your apology

WritersPanic likes this.
  6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

That 90% of mechanics are crooked sounds pretty accurate actually

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

id agree with that

a lot of them are forced into it by their employer...

my own experience is that the smaller owner operated shops around here are more trustworthy

im not really sure why were talking about carpenters and mechanics though...im fairly certain this thread was about teachers and republican voters

Aerianne likes this.
  8. MeAgain

It's very simple Spiff,
    You come into this thread and proclaim that 90% of all teachers in the U.S are only in the profession because of the money and because they're on some kind of power trip.
    With nothing to back up your claim, nada.

You attack and degrade a profession and 90% of the people in it.
    I simply said that I don't come on here and attack and degrade any profession or job as you do, and I gave two examples.
    For some reason you expressed hatred toward of certain profession of people.
    Again, I am saying I don't hate any particular profession.

I used carpenters and mechanics as an example, which apparently you don't understand. I said I don't say things like that. I don't say them because I don't believe them. You then said that 90% of mechanics are crooked.

We're talking about carpenters and mechanics because you can't or won't back up your claim about teachers.

Is there anyone you like?

ZenKarma likes this.
  9. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

What sealed it for me was hearing a middle school math teacher in an Atlanta suburb using the terms "times-ing", "plus-ing" and "minus-ing" to describe arithmetic functions. Surely it was just my imagination.

10. MeAgain

Conservative Republicans by definition are conservative. They're opposed to change unless that change is in a direction that supports their own views.
    The purpose of a liberal education is to expose students to things they don't know, aren't aware of, and don't know they aren't aware of.
    If you hold specific values and morals and you're a conservative then you wish to conserve those values, you are resistant to seeing them changed.
    As the primary goal of liberal education is an expansion of world views, conservatives will resist a liberal education.

Thus a stanch conservative doesn't believe in liberal education, their style of education is more in alignment with indoctrination.
    Students are to be schooled in the morals, values, and views that the conservatives already hold. There's no room for the introduction of opposing morals, values, and views as that could lead to the student possibly questioning what they already know or even changing their morals, values, or views.

ZenKarma and Moonglow181 like this.
  11. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

the relative effect is interesting

Paying teachers more could improve teaching
    But so could innovating the teaching process

Business thinking is important in schools but it’s not correctly aligned

For example

In school, we learn alone. We sit exams alone. Our results reflect us and only us. Fine

But then why are we then told to join the firm
    Work in a team
    And effectively demonstrate ‘collaboration’??

Why do we assume of learners are equal based on age? In the method of teaching? Aren’t some more practically minded whilst some more bookworm types?

We don’t need to spend more money to teach. Just have the courage to improve our ability to connect teaching with meaningful learning experiences for each person.

Maybe business should be encouraged to play a more active role like they do in germany.

Monkey Boy and mcme like this.
  12. MeAgain

Now as teachers seem to be getting bashed in this thread by some, let's look at one of the primary complaints, teachers' unions.

Diane Ravitch has an interesting section in her book. In it she describes the Houston based ultraconservative group called the Minute Women.
    The Minute Women would drop in on classes unannounced and sit in the back to see if any teachers expressed any unacceptable political opinions. Nothing wrong with unannounced classroom observation, what's wrong is the purpose of those observations.
    One teacher Miss Nelda Davis was targeted by them because she sought to attend the convention of the National Council for the Social Studies.
    It seems the Minute Women labeled this organization as leftist.....along with the United Nations, the NAACP, the Urban League and all other groups that advocated for desegregation or human rights. They were also considered to be Communist Fronts.
    (All this is from of THE DEATH AND LIFE OF THE GREAT AMERICAN SCHOOL SYSTEM, How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education, by Diane Ravitch, starting on page 174)

She had no protection from a teachers' union. Before unions teachers could be, and were, fired for getting married, getting pregnant while married, expressing pacifist beliefs, for being of the wrong religion or the wrong race, for being gay, for belonging to some out group, for not making the right political contribution or not paying bribes, for speaking outside of the classroom, for disagreeing with administration, or because someone on the school board wanted to get a relative a job.
    With unions tenure was secured, which simply means that teachers must be granted due process before being fired for things such as insubordination, incompetence, or moral or criminal infractions.

Teachers don't join unions only to get higher pay.....as Raditch says, "...they join to protect their right to think, speak, and teach without fear."

Edit (I should have said "nothing wrong with unannounced observations...I corrected it)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Moonglow181 and ZenKarma like this.
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

We see this to some extent in my city due to a high concentration of German and other foreign business. There are a few elememtary schools that offer specialized curriculum in engineering and other STEM related programs and they're sponsored by various businesses. It seems to work really well as these are some of the top rated schools in the area

14. MeAgain

There are countless instructional ways and programs that have been and are being tried in schools.

Not all learning is done alone. Team learning has been going on for years.
    Team learning has pros and cons.
    Here are some resources:
    Learning Strategis - Eric
    ERIC - Using Student Team Learning. The Johns Hopkins Team ...
    Cooperative learning in middle and secondary schools - High Point ...
    Using Student Team Learning - ResearchGate
    student team learning, slavin.pdf | Reading (Process) | Self Esteem
    student team learning - DIDA NET

etc.

15. MeAgain

It depends on how the businesses participate.
    I was involved in STEM.

If the business supplies funds, technical knowledge, and practical experience opportunities to students based on a curriculum developed through parental, school board, and educator input, all is fine and dandy.
    But if the business or corporation begins to influence the curriculum to its own end, problems arise.

16. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Red States are not facing default and bankruptcy in the way that Blue states are, due mostly to pension obligations to state workers. Empowered public sector union bosses own politicians in places like New Jersey. Why trot out this union propaganda? Are hippies in bed with union bosses?

Do public sector workers really need to be unionized?

17. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well I am sorry too that Joe Lieberman and Mike Bloomberg were unable to make further headway in politics.

18. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The focus in this thread should be on topic.

It should not be directed toward members here.

Anymore of this personally directed focusing on and targeting of members could result in the thread closure.

Please, back to the topic.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  19. MeAgain

I can't speak to other states as I haven't done the research, but in Pennsylvania we ended up with public pension problems due to several reasons.

In 2001 the pension system was flooded with money, it was over funded and could meet all of its needs. In May Republican Governor Tom Ridge thought that giving lawmakers a 50% boost in their pensions would gain him political favor, after all the funds where there. The rest of the public sector complained about the lawmakers getting a boost, but not them. So Ridge also gave all other public employees a 25% boost in their pensions. Both increases were to take effect retroactively and for the future.

As a trade off employees had to contribute more to the system and the state contributed less. Employees contribute a certain percentage and the state does likewise.
    Times were good and the stock market was booming. Contributions from the government reached zero in some areas beginning in 1995. The pension systems were funded at 132%, state workers and 124%, teachers.
    So the government quit contributing and then in 2002 employees contributions were capped at 1.15% as money was plentiful.
    Then the stock market went sour and everyone was in trouble. The government suddenly found out they had no money.

Democratic Governor Ed Rendell tried to fix the problem by refinancing the losses to be paid off in 30 years instead of 10.
    Then the 2008 recession hit and the teachers' fund alone lost $19.5 billion in one year.
    In 2010 Rendell reduced pension benefits for those hired after 2011.
    Today the fund is still struggling due to poor management.

In short pension problems are not the sole result of unions.

ZenKarma likes this.
  20. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

there must be a lot of teachers working for below minimum wage, because this does match the chart that someone posted on the next page, but i've never met a teacher that makes anywhere near this little. hell, i recently met a high school teacher who makes $85,000. any other teacher i've talked to says that starting salary is in the $35,000 to $45,000 range, and then pay increases over time. i also know a guy who works as a part time tutor in a school, basically as a hobby, and makes $15 an hour, which would still come to over $30,000 if he was full time at that rate.

also keep in mind that they get a 3 month vacation every year, which they can use to pick up a summer job for a little extra cash if they really want to.