Republicans are ruining American education

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Jun 12, 2018.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

What kind of paycheck and power do you think exists? An American teacher makes like $30,000 in a year before tax. But she gets to tell Billy when recess is over. What a joke people think this.

The point of this thread is to say they have neither of those things. But a common right wing attitude. You can only type that because a teacher taught you how. Keep that in mind Spaceman.

2. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Until I had children, I didn't realize how much schools in the US have shifted politically. And I'm a product of the uber-liberal Marin county education system. I had teachers that were left-leaning and right-leaning. It made for some excellent discussions and debates. But, decades later, as my children entered public school I saw a very different political skew.

The right side is nearly gone and the left side rules the schools like their shit doesn't stink. When we were in New York we put our son into a Catholic school because the public schools were so horrible and even dangerous. But the Catholic schools also thought they were infallible and that not only was their shit perfumed, it was fit to be fed to the children.

I thought about retiring into teaching after doing so much of it over the last 12 years. But teaching adults to operate equipment is not the same as teaching children. And as I've seen here, I can easily be confused for a "conservative" since I don't carry hard left views. As it is I vote independent since there is no middle party. What I don't get is what value school students get from a completely 1-sided educational environment.

Seriously, if the entire teaching body (and bloated administrative staffing) is composed of hard-line, agenda-driven leftists, how will the students cope in the real world when they might have to work for a hard-line right wing supervisor. If we don't expose them to both sides of reality, we are setting them up for a series of nasty falls. But how do you explain this to a left-leaning school board that can't possibly consider themselves as ever making any mistakes?

Left and right aside (since they both backed this) the most sinister aspect of education I have seen is the creation of "government guaranteed student loans". At first we were told the "guarantee" was that we'd get a loan for college. Sounds like a decent plan when put that way. But that was a deception. The "Guarantee" is that the college will be paid and the back side of the "guarantee" is that the student will become a debt slave to the government. And if you defer your loan, since you can't find a decent job with a new degree, the loan will grow as they "capitalize" the interest back into the loan as principal.

It's this and the War on Drugs that has me critical of BOTH the left and right since BOTH sets of assholes have kept these two games going, destroying the lives of America's youth, for decades with NO reform in sight. Blaming all of this on the republicans alone only demonstrates which brand of Kool-Ade is being gurgled. To support either party 100% only indicates selling out on true compromises in politics. It would be more constructive if we spend our time on HF dissecting the misdeeds of BOTH parties equally. They both seem to fuck up equally, at our expense.

BeatinFeet69 and Aerianne like this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I dont see why a teacher's political stance would come into play at all. George, i'm not sure how old your kids are but when i graduated high school in '03 i graduated without knowing the political leanings of any of my teachers. It never came up, even in government and history classes.

Of course if you live in an overwhelmingly liberal or conservative area teachers will reflect the overall demographics but I dont see why it matters either way

What is more dangerous than schools being full of liberal teachers are teachers like my 9th grade biology teacher, who flat out refused to teach evolution because of her religion. Those are the type of teachers we should be worried about.

(My state was always in the bottom 3 in education when I was in school. We're now 10th from the bottom. woo, progress!

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Politics doesn't enter into public school teaching, unless its a political science class which few high schools have.

George must be thinking of science teachers refusing to teach religion in their classes or alternative history classes that teach slavery wasn't the cause of the Civil War.
    It's hard to tell as he's just spewing out general statements about how terrible schools are without addressing curriculum, teaching methodology, educational philosophy, evaluation techniques, educational objectives, etc.

I can do the same thing.
    Today's schools have left behind the liberal idea of critical thinking, equality and individual liberty and have become uber-conservative filled with teachers and administration that think their shit doesn't stink.
    Seriously, if the entire teaching body (and bloated administrative staffing) is composed of hard-line, agenda-driven right wing nut bags, how will the students cope in the real world when they might have to work for a hard-line left wing supervisor.

And so on.....

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

that is exactly my experience with teachers

but in my case i would estimate it to be 90% 10% split

10% being the decent ones who cared about their job

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  6. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

The corporations who run the country want people just smart enough to do the job, but dumb enough not to know that the system is against them. Otherwise we wouldn't be the most indebted people on the planet.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Its actually surprising how good my exprrience with the public school system was, given that my state was in the bottom 3

My favorite school was my elementary school which was in a poor neighborhood in an old building.. So old it had once been a segregated school for black students. Test scores there were absymal and the building was fallling apart but the teachers, principle, guidance counselor were all amazing human beings and I still think about some of them and wonder how they are

My experience in school was more like, 90% of teachers cared and put their heart into it and 10% didnt.

MeAgain likes this.
  8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

youre life experience isnt the same as mine

so that means youre wrong :rolleyes:

just to be clear im being sarcastic

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  9. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I always had pretty decent teachers for as long as I remember. One of them even used to attend my baseball games. She was really sweet.

10. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Lanny Lancaster was my favorite teacher. He taught physics and geology. He had some pretty far out ideas, like believing ancient astronauts had a hand in building the pyramids. He was a blast.

11. GeorgeJetStoned

And yet, I wasn't getting personal with anyone. Getting personal in a discussion shows a lack of flexibility with the subject matter. Better to stick to the issue than "reprimand" me.

12. unfocusedanakin

I don't deny they make good money but there is a reason for that. These men have no education and the risk of injury or death on an oil rig is tremendous. They need to be paid well or no one will do it. I picked it because it's a good example of a job a Republican might have because it provides for a family yet you did not need to get a college degree. When college is a scheme to indoctrinate you they do not want that. You learn a trade you don't pay some idiot to tell you the planet is getting hotter and gender is not black and white.

13. MeAgain

Not a reprimand, a pleas for details, not generalities.
    If you have specific examples please give them, I'd love to hear what they are so we can have a valid discussion.

14. GeorgeJetStoned

Yea, I'll pass on that. If schools and teachers are infallible, what's to discuss?

15. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I remember one teacher and I hated the class I was supposed to take...but he was so funny and made things interesting and I wanted to learn......so i did....and it became my favorite class of all that semester...it was history and the law or something in high school.

Anyway...what is this thread about? I don't even really know. yes, teachers need to be paid a good amount to live. It isn't an easy job, I am sure.

16. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Now you're starting to sound like me.

Anywoo, I graduated high school 19 years ago and still remember a bunch of my teachers fondly. Seems like some in this thread are shitting all over teachers. I guess I'm just blessed for having had some awesome AF public school teachers.

This post is dedicated to Mrs. Conklin, Mrs. Timson, Ms. Uland, Mr. Volz, Mrs. Huffman, Mrs. Trujillo, Mrs. Keene, Mrs. Alderate, and of course, the woman who was my high school guidence counselor, and who would be my future mother-in-law if she was still with us, Mrs. Berged.

Thank you for being better than, apparently, the majority of the teachers in the world. Thank you for caring. Thank you for your dedication. Thank you for becoming a teacher for more than a paycheck!!

tumbling.dice likes this.
  17. MeAgain

Well that's a cop out.
    You complain about schools and when I press you for some solid examples that we can discuss you insinuate that I think schools and teachers are infallible.

I've known poor teachers and seen teachers fired for incompetence and morals, and I've worked with teachers I felt were rather poor. Sometimes in instructional areas, sometimes in social interactions. And I've seen teachers who excelled in one or the other while during poorly in the opposite. I never said all teachers were perfect.
    I always considered myself to need loads of improvement.

Same with school districts and individual buildings and administrations.

18. MeAgain

I attended an old four room school house that had an additional three rooms added on in the late '50s.

The teachers were all older women who took no gruff from any kid. That's back in the day of paddling. Mrs. McCleen would have us go to the chalkboard to do math and stand there with a paddle in her hand. "If I can't put it in here," and she'd point to your head, "I'll put it in here!" Whack!

It was a great school, fantastic teachers.

I should post my first grade class picture.

ZenKarma likes this.
  19. unfocusedanakin

Low pay will not encourage good employees. Many teachers are not good at their job. They don't want to put in any effort to teach different kids different ways. Sometimes, they don't even like kids or can not explain anything right even one way. Maybe these are the kind of people who would be fired from other jobs.

People who really care about helping kids often switch their education majors because they realize they want to make better money. This is one are that the free market of Republicans has not regulated. This is either because teaching is not a respected job to live on like a fast food job is or it's not. The pay scale for American teachers can be very close to that of minimum wage when you add in all the hours. It's not the hours of the children coming for 6 hours and being off in summer. They really do work 40 hour plus weeks standard for Americans. They also spend their own salary to fund their classrooms.

We pay them slightly more money than a high school kid can make. Why would someone go to college, work for 4 years, and get into large student debt just to make what they did in high school? In other countries teaching is a very respected profession. If you are smart or good with kids it is a nice living. These countries also score higher than us on math and science tests.

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

its about someone blaming trump for problems that are centuries old

its about a few teachers here trying to show how superior they are

its about anti trumpsters patting themselves on the back and stroking each other

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2018