Republicans are ruining American education

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Jun 12, 2018.

1. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

SMHID. There's a recipe for disaster. I would consider that treasonous.

Toecutter likes this.
  2. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

It's a tribal mentality.
    Gotta toe the line.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Where did you get your data, or is this just your opinion?
    Here's what I found:
    • The U.S does perform lower in math and science, but not overall. ~ World Population Review

scratcho likes this.
  4. MeAgain

What do you consider treasonous? Giving an opinion or just an opinion that's different from yours? What parts of either video do you consider treasonous? It's easy to make that statement could you please explain what you mean?

5. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Modern science is threatening to destroy modern science, by destroying the entire world. The issue is not whether knowledge is good or bad, but without the ability to grasp the Big Picture, modern civilization is blindly self-destructive and, unless modern science changes, education is the least of our children's worry.

6. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Hey, I'm holdin' out for Manhattan!

scratcho, Piney and MeAgain like this.
  7. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I don't get it. It seems that students, not teachers, were being asked how they thought 9/11 should be taught, so this is not necessarily "what is being taught to our students" I'd be alarmed if it were. Hopefully, by the time they complete their course of study, they'll have outgrown such ideas.

But the video presents a favorite theme of right wing propaganda: "those liberal commie teachers are trying to teach our kids to hate Amerka." Where propaganda is involved, we need to ask: is this the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    scratcho, Toecutter and MeAgain like this.
  8. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Should "modern science" quit trying to pursue objective knowledge? I think the problem is more one of modern politicians and modern voters--and their lack of a good education.

9. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Yes Sir, Agreed

10. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Is this surprising? Betcha Republicans outnumber Democrats on the boards of major corporations. And I know Asians outnumber caucasians in the manicure, pedicure business! And African-Americans outnumber whites on football teams. It's a fact of life that certain groups are more attracted to some lines of work than others. Academics are atttracted by thinking and ideas, which are not a Republican forte. I recall a sign in the sociology department where I attended college saying""Who ever heard of a Republican sociologist?" Now if you went over to the business department or the engineering department, the signs might read just the opposite.

scratcho likes this.
  11. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

Yes Sir, Agreed

12. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

What is surprising is over 300 posts about Republicans are ruining American education, and no one bothered to actually check

13. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Ignoring the enemy and underlying motivations while focusing on "America's faults" -- I would have thought that obvious to anyone realizing the context.

14. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

The two are directly connected.

15. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

The title of this thread being a prime example.

16. MeAgain

I see little wrong with the students' views myself that's why I asked for specific examples of what is offense.
    The first guy and the second girl (green shirt) state that they got little formal education about 911. So much for liberal indoctrination there.
    Pink shirt got a moderate amount, orange pants and white top got the basics. Blue top got about two months (how many hours?).

In all of the above we don't learn anything about what was presented at all.
    The pink shirted guy doesn't say anything about formal education at.

Then we get into what we should avoid when talking about 911. Pretty open ended question. Who should avoid talking about it, where?
    Anyway the first chick doesn't what to hear the gruesome parts, fair enough I don't want to hear the gruesome parts about first graders getting shot in a mass school shooting.
    The next chick correctly identifies that not ALL Muslims are responsible for 911, just those particular extremists.
    Orange bandanna wants to concentrate on how to avoid a repeat. He clearly states that we need to learn abut who is responsible but we need to keep in mind that their religion was not the only factor in the attack.
    The next chick with the pink hair says the same thing.

Then we get to American exceptionalism and the orange pants lady wants to focus on what is wrong with the U.S. so that it can be fixed instead of promoting nationalism.
    The others feel we should avoid saying we are the best as we do have faults.

So what I got from the video was:
    1. There is little formal education about 911. Similar to my education back in the day when we seldom if ever learned about WWII or the Korean War as it was too recent.
    2. One student doesn't want to hear about gore. I agree, sensationalism has no place in education.
    3. They correctly believe that not all 1.8 billion Muslims are responsible for the 911 attacks.
    4. Some of the students don't want to concentrate on American exceptionalism, which has been lately promoted by Mike Huckabee, Donald Trump, Dick Cheney, and other Republicans and right wing nut jobs as an excuse to push other countries and people around.
    Rather they would prefer to downplay the "superiority" of the U.S and promote a better understand of the world and work toward solutions and co-operation.

So I'll ask again, what specific parts does anyone disagree with and why?

scratcho likes this.
  17. MeAgain

I'll ask again.
    Give me examples of how education is a disservice. Don't give me second hand accounts and opinions, please cite specific policy statements, stated goals, objectives, curricula and lesson plans. Then explain how the particular unit or lesson plan, etc. is a disservice.

18. MeAgain

I don't recall anyone saying to ignore an enemy. Pleases cite were you saw that.

19. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

After viewing the video again, I believe you are correct

MeAgain likes this.
  20. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

That's the part I disagree with, if it means "accentuate the negative, eliminate the positive." It certainly isn't the job of the schools to promote nationalism, but students should be aware of the positive aspects of our political system--especially the Bill of Rights and the fact that we were the first republic of the modern era--as well as the limitations. To dwell on the flaws and injustices would be a distortion of reality and an invitation to social conflict. As a Chickasaw, I think it would be great if we got back the lands that were taken from us when we were dumped here in Oklahoma, but I don't think that would be a realistic goal. Nobody who was responsible for that is still alive, and I'm well-rooted here. I think kids should be aware that it happened, but not to the exclusion of everything good about this country.