REPUBLICAN Voter Suppression legislation

Discussion in 'Democracy' started by erofant, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  2. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Too bad they don't have a dislike option on this forum. Two thembs down on this one! I think your post is out of touch with reality. Manipulating state election laws so that the minority wins is about power, which often translates into personal gain. Fascist is a strong word, but the Retrumplican movement seems to fit the bill, and election law manipulation is part and parcel of it. I'd say democracy on fire, in the context of everything else the Retrumplicans are doing while the Demos dither around.

scratcho, Tyrsonswood and granite45 like this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Ultranationalism, militarism. Criminalization of dissent. Overt hostility towards a free press and independent judiciary. Contempt for democracy and the rule of law. Racism, sexism, misogyny, bigotry, xenophobia. Obsession with ideological purity. Demonization and scapegoating of minorities and political opponents. Rampant corruption and cronyism. "the merging of the state and the corporation.”

Sound like anyone we know?

4. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Far from it. A minority party like the Republicans thrives in a system that favors trees and pastures instead of people.
    Here and there is an understatment, and I don't think the nutcases are equally distributed between parties. Ron Johnson, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Lauren Boebert, the Fox News crew, Q-Anon and the Q-Anon Shaman, the Proud Boys, the Oath Keepers--enough nuts to fill a lunatic asylum--and that's not counting Frat Boy Cawthorn, accused pedophile Gaetz, sleazebags Cruz and Graham, two-faced Kevin McCarthy, fist pumper Josh Hawley, moon-mover Gohmert, "Don't Say Gay" demagogue De Santis, Abominable Abbott and the Great Orange Wonder himself. Lots of serious pathology there!
    Oh, so if I don't want to move to Texas (a horrible thought) and run for office in an election system that;s been stacked against me, I should just grin and bear it. I have a better idea. Try as best I can to call attention to what Retrumplicans are doing in Texas and elsewhere, and work to make a difference in Congress and my own state.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  5. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well, you know what's even worse? Driver suppression! Did you know these controlling authorities, in a country that claims to be of the free and brave, decided to discriminate who gets to drive?

It didn't start out that way. If you wanted to ride a horse or drive a carriage, it didn't matter who you were. You just did so unchallenged.

Then these ugly retardicanats decided they could benefit by deciding who can drive these horseless carriages, and it was easy to target them as dangerous and convince the commoners that it was for their own good. "You can get hurt!" So they required ID. And more, they made em take tests. TESTS! And if that weren't enough, they made em pay for the privilege. AND they had to come in in person!

This practice continues to present day, miraculously, in this enlightened era where identifying oneself is deemed totally unnecessary for a valid legal transaction to occur. This age old process is not only racist, but ageist, sexist, misogynystic, bigoted, xenophobic, homophobic, and transphobic plus analfabetophobic. UNFAIR! It's truly a mystery why we're not all up in arms over it.

And don't get me started about buying drinks, tobacco, boarding planes, applying for govt programs, police encounters... These fascist pigs have lost their ever-loving minds!

6. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

So clever. Equivocating between reasonable legislation designed to protect the public health and safety and Retrumplican legislation to do the opposite--i.e., rig our elections in their partisan favor by making it more difficult for voters in Democrat demographics to vote. That line may go over with MAGA dimwits, but only continues to build your reputation here as one of them.
    BTW I do support reasonable ID for voting , but the current voter suppression efforts are going WAY beyond that!
    How Republicans are trying to prevent people from voting after ‘stop the steal’
    Republican efforts to restrict voting following the 2020 presidential election - Wikipedia

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Tyrsonswood and scratcho like this.
  7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hear hear!:)

granite45 likes this.
  8. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Jus sayin, man. Sometimes ya gotta get real even if it ain't pretty.

The real objection is verifying identity to each vote, that makes it much harder to cheat. And one person delivering multiple ballots to one or more drop boxes. Unsupervised tallying. The list goes on. It should be one person, one vote that they made themselves without any coercion.

All kinds of made up excuses to oppose common sense legislation to make people feel more comfortable that their vote actually counts what it's worth, and that the outcome is truly the will of the majority, are forwarded. It's not hard to see. There's specific motivation behind making it harder to cheat, and everybody knows it, they just pretend it's unfair / unjust because 1) those in power want to remain in power, and 2) there are those who are fooled into thinking that somehow wrecking the economy benefits them personally. Or they don't care about the economy because they prefer an irresponsible lifestyle that depends on targets instead of the economy.

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There is also specific motivation for making it harder to vote. We're seeing that now from--wait for it-----republicans. Surprise surprise.;) And by the way---if I'm not mistaken, the only ones caught cheating were---you guessed it---republicans.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  11. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Harder to vote than what, scratch? Than it was ten years ago? Than it was fifty years ago? How has it gotten harder? All I've seen is easier over the years. Or are you suggesting that because rules were suspended for the pandemic, that we should be in permanent pandemic mode? Again, how is it harder now than just before the pandemic?