REPUBLICAN Voter Suppression legislation

Discussion in 'Democracy' started by erofant, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

What I heard from him is much of the same ignorant rant I hear from you--denial of voter suppression, denial that there's been an increase in Asian hate crime, denial that the concept of hate crime is real or relevant. Dignity, my ass. The guy is just earning his pay. Trump and his ilk always have a few African-Americans in their stable that they trot out to show the opinions of "good" (i.e., Trump supporting) blacks. Green is one of those. And I'm going by what he says, not what he is. Nothing racist or ad hominem about that!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    Balbus and scratcho like this.
  2. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Off a cliff!

3. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There was a time when I believed you were intelligent. Can't even listen to a man and discuss what be says. Only make assumptions and jump to conclusions, read minds and assign motives. I was wrong. Say "la vee".

4. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

No assumptions. I listened to every word--now and in his earlier YouTube rants. He's a Retrumplican stooge. As for your assessment of my intelligence, the feeling is mutual. .

Flagme15 and scratcho like this.
  5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Trudge

Do you mean - c'est la vie

French for that’s life

Tishomingo and scratcho like this.
  6. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Vee :Venezuelan equine encephaitis? The usual formation of migrating geese? Shaped like or suggesting a V, as in a Vee neckline.Definition of vee | Dictionary.com But why does he want us to say that? Or he might mean the employee-owned supermarket chain in the Midwestern U.S., HyVee, that carries a lot of French-named products like Hy Vee French salad dressing, HyVee French toast sticks, etc. Maybe he works for them and is asking us to say the company name for advertising purposed. Oy vey!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Flagme15 likes this.
  7. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

8. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Gotta love the Borowitz report...he gets it perfect every time.

9. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

"
    Last year, Harvard Business School conducted a study analyzing voter turnout in the United States over an eight-year period. The researchers look at how voter ID laws affect the ability of minority Americans to turn out at the polls and cast their votes. They also investigated the rate at which voter fraud was committed in states that have voter ID measures.

Surprisingly, the results of the study did not support either side’s arguments on the issue. Let’s deal with the race issue first. The study revealed that “Strict ID laws have no significant negative effect on registration or turnout, overall or for any subgroup defined by age, gender, race, or party affiliation.”

Researchers also found that voter ID laws “do not decrease the participation of ethnic minorities relative to whites.” Well, it looks like the left’s whole “voter suppression” idea has gone out the window. Of course, most people were never buying this argument in the first place. It’s probably the reason why the majority of Americans favor voter ID laws. But it wasn’t just the left’s race-baiting claims that were debunked.

The study also revealed that requiring voters to show ID at the polls does not effectively curtail voter fraud. After the researchers investigated documented cases of voter fraud in states with voter ID measures, they found that these laws do not prevent certain people from defrauding the electoral system.
    "

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

11. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Trudge

Do you mean this paper?

U.S. states increasingly require identification to vote – an ostensive attempt to deter fraud that prompts complaints of selective disenfranchisement. Using a difference-in-differences design on a 1.6-billion-observations panel dataset, 2008–2018, we find that the laws have no negative effect on registration or turnout, overall or for any group defined by race, gender, age, or party affiliation. These results hold through a large number of specifications and cannot be attributed to voters’ reaction against the laws or measured by campaign contributions and self-reported political engagement. However, the likelihood that non-white voters were contacted by a campaign increases by 5.4 percentage points, suggesting that parties’ mobilization might have offset modest effects of the laws on the participation of ethnic minorities. Finally, strict ID requirements have no effect on fraud – actual or perceived. Overall, our findings suggest that efforts to improve elections may be better directed at other reforms. [my bold]

Strict ID Laws Don't Stop Voters: Evidence from a U.S. Nationwide Panel, 2008–2018 - Working Paper - Faculty & Research - Harvard Business School

So tis would indicate the act of binging in ID requirements highlighted the situation and resulted in more non-white voters becoming involved in voting negating the numbers of people put off by the need for a ID within the non-white communities.

This is the coauthor, Assistant Professor Vincent Pons,

Therefore, our results suggest that efforts both to safeguard electoral integrity and enfranchise more voters may be better served through other reforms. Low and unequal participation represent real threats to democracy, but these may be more effectively addressed by reducing other barriers to voting, such as voter registration costs and long travel and waiting time in areas with low polling station density.

Similarly, there is a real need to improve citizens' faith in US elections, but again, this may be more effectively addressed by upgrading outdated voting technology and other improvements in the administration of elections. [my bold]

Voter ID Laws Don't Work (But They Don't Hurt Anything, Either)

Pointing out that there are other forms of voter suppression

It should also be remembered that other disagree with the HBS

Oppose Voter ID Legislation - Fact Sheet

Voter ID: An Expensive Distraction

The New Voter Suppression

And many more

12. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

The left leaning publishers are going to claim that voter ID laws are racist, vote suppression methods simply because they don't want them. Smart blacks denounce the claims they are. Plus they point out it's insulting (and racist) to presume that blacks are less capable of obtaining IDs than whites. Scott Adams issued a challenge several days ago, asking for just one person, any person, to come forward who wants to vote and can't get an ID. So far, crickets. Where are these supposed people? Dare we suppose they're just imagined for the sake of duping the people?

13. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Trudge

You have just cited a study (which concurs with many others) that shows that ID laws are useless for their stated purpose (to counter election fraud) but which other studies show can result in some not voting - so why would you want any such laws them?

Are you stating that all the differing laws and methods that result in less voter turnout are ok – why wouldn’t you want to make voting easier?

14. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Trudge

Why would it be just lefties?

I think anyone that believed in the democratic process and wanted to live in a democracy would want to encouraging people to vote and would oppose any laws that discourages or result in just one person from voting.

This statement seems to imply you think right wingers are anti-democratic.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  15. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

One person, one vote.
    Seems like a pretty simple concept.
    Why would anyone oppose that?

Why is it so important to some people that we not verify who is voting? Hmmmm To the point of pretending it's about treatment of minorities.
    Why make up these lies?

Where's the outcry over showing ID to board a plane???
    It's okay to suppress minority flying?
    WTF, people, seriously.

16. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

You sound convinced. What is your idea of why having to present an ID is "repressing minority voting"?

17. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Asking me other questions doesn't answer the one presented to you. And me researching all the available opinións about it won't tell me what your idea is.
    Think about what you said. It was enacted to produce a different outcome, not fairness. That doesn't support anything, it's just an opinion. Just like your earlier expressed opinion that it's to repress minority voting. Yes I understand that opponents are opining that. But what is the factual basis for this opinion? Articles where others have opined? How do you justify your own opinion by citing the opinions of others?

18. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Okay. Nice womansplaining.

19. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Matches yours perfectly. No wonder you like it. :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  20. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Well... It was a retort to show what yours was.
    Goose, gander, you know. A mirror. In all fairness.
    Anyway...
    It's your choice whether to continue with the opinión you've been assigned by one-sided media, or to do your own thinking based on looking at both sides of an argument.

21. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

In the last election, most of the voter fraud was committed by republicans. It’s a fact.

Tishomingo, scratcho and Tyrsonswood like this.