Reminiscing :)

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by DianneB, Jan 26, 2017.

1. DianneB

DianneB Members

After discovering this forum a few days ago, I can't help but reminisce about "the good old days".

I spent some time on staff at a private 'alternative' school in the early 1970s and ran across their web site

http://www.jeffcetera.ca/twin-valleys.html#.WIqDY31KVCo

Sure brings back some memories and leaves me wondering what became of the people I knew then.

Thanks for listening to an old woman LOL!

3 people like this.
  2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

What about this site made you think of the school?

3. First I doubt very much you are old. I'm 58 and I'm NOT old!

Now I love reminiscing. It's fun as long as the memories are good!

Message me any time.

4. DianneB

DianneB Members

It was a communal school in the hay-day of the hippy movement. I moved there from a communal farm, and the majority of the staff were hippies.

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

For some reason I thought of this song.....maybe the alternative school and Billy Jack connection.​
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTBx-hHf4BE

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i've always thought of that song, especially when it furst came out, as being, well the message was about the tragic loss from the stupidity of belligerance and bigotry, mostly ideological bigotry, but its parable being a war fought by literal robotic a.i. tanks and armour. taking the "one tin soldier" as a literal artificial intelligence tank-like machine, using something like a bulldozer blade or a back hoe bucket to turn over the stone. to me the long ago was that it was being told, passed on to their children, by survivors of a robot fought world war three, generations into the future after it was to have happened. so i just never did put 'tin soldier' into a midevil or wild west context. as some of the videos i've seen do.

7. MeAgain

Something like Tarkus[​IMG]

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

not like that painting, more like saberhagan's bolos, but the words to it are another one.

we have created our own hell by fallowing a kind of cultural path of least resistance which has motivated us to love innovating mechanical aids to self destruction.
    but is it even a path of least resistance, or rather one by which many hope to gain the advantages of few over many?
    at any rate, we've done ourselves more harm be ignoring our dependence on the environment shared by all things on our planet.
    why do humans think the can't understand anything unless the paint a face on, makes no sense.
    i would call that painting a slander against innocent creatures, although i know people who play innocent creatures who seem to think it would be fun,
    (if they could do so without getting poked in the eye).

"on the streets of the city, only specters still have pity, while machines feed the furnace, if they take us they will burn us",
    to me this is more about the hell we have created for ourselves by the idea of city as paradise or utopia.

ecotopias can exist, with populations being small, and mostly living in rural and even remote villages, each with their own independent consensus,
    and what few cities, if any, exist playing a relatively minor role. those being more like a cluster or village of villages.

at any rate, war is dumb, needlessly destructive and we can do things a better way.
    even machines and less creative species can,
    though the choosing is up to us.

this last is of course what both were ultimately about.

9. samuraijack

samuraijack Members

not like hot-tub time machine?
    do people really, wake up and believe its the 70s again?
    i got a question.
    how can you be a hippie in the 60s and then dress like a normal adult in 2000.

10. MeAgain

...The times they are a changing.....

11. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

They have a changed................So now you just can't tell by looking where a person's sympathies lie.

But lots of people who used to dress like hippies were mainly doing it because of fashion. Their mentality remained dead straight.

1 person likes this.
  12. carlo dee

carlo dee Members

Hmmm... how does a normal adult dress? And while we're at it, what is a normal adult?

13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I went to a boarding school when I was in junior high and the first year of high school. I spent a total of 2 years and 10 months away from my family. It helped me a lot. The schools aren't around anymore from what I can tell, and, like your school, the founder has since passed on. I miss that place and those feelings. I learned so much there!

Welcome! :)

1 person likes this.
  14. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

I was at school in the 50s so you'd have some catching up to do in the oldness sweepstakes Madam! :)

This is a good idea for a thread.

15. MeAgain

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Scorpio Kenny

Scorpio Kenny Church of the Good Earth - ArchBishop

Cool. You found our government approved and parent approved protection against nuclear weapons. Remember that?

1 person likes this.
  17. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9scNl9h4Q

C/S,
    Rev J