Remember wringer washing machines?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by OldAsDirt, Jul 11, 2022.

1. OldAsDirt

OldAsDirt Members

I'm an old-fogie, that's a fact, and am old enough to have grown up in a home where my mom used one until the early 70's, and being the oldest, I used to help her with the washing.

So many were injured, getting fingers, arms, even long locks of hair caught in the rollers, OUCH.

And washing babies diapers, which I helped my mom do a lot, one had to be careful how you ran the rubber pants through the rollers, because if you weren't careful you risked popping the rubber pants!

Anyone else grow up with a wringer washing in their childhood home?

2. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Tbh I wish I had one now.

OldAsDirt likes this.
  3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Yeah we had one or two. Even had a gasoline engine sitting around from a wringer washer, I think my brother has it now.

[​IMG]

One of the washers had a standard wringer, the other had the safety wringer that would pop if you got your arm in it.
    Here's one popped open:

[​IMG]

The8thdwarfe, MartNorth and OldAsDirt like this.
  4. Toecutter

Toecutter Senior Member

I remember my grandmother having one sitting in the corner of her kitchen, never seen her using it.

OldAsDirt and MeAgain like this.
  5. MeAgain

We tried putting that gasoline washer engine on a go cart but it didn't work too well.

We ended up with one of these:

[​IMG]
    And it was a four speed. My littlest brother could get it to do small wheelstands.

OldAsDirt likes this.
  6. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Yep we had one. Had an electric motor though.

The8thdwarfe and OldAsDirt like this.
  7. OldAsDirt

OldAsDirt Members

Your wish is my wish, too. They lasted forever.

I remember hearing about the gasoline operated washing machines, because one of the neighbourhood kids had a go-cart powered by a gasoline washing machine engine, but I never did see a gas-operated washing machine in operation. The safety feature you speak of is brilliant. They all should have had that feature or something similar.

Ours used to sit in the back room, and on wash day, mom would wheel it into the kitchen, connect the hoses, and the washing would start.

A family with older kids that lived down the way built a go-cart with a motorcycle engine, and the teen boys used to take it out at night. I remember the flames that exited the tailpipe, and thinking they were going to kill thsemselves.

Ours, too, electric all the way.

Toecutter and MeAgain like this.
  8. MartNorth

MartNorth Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yep, grew up with one of those. Heated the water on a wood cook stove burning corn cobs in two big copper tubs, used a bucket to get it in the washer hung diapers and everything else too freeze dry out on the cloths line, good ole days my Ass. Dad had several of the gas Motors, had one on a small air compressor. Wish I had one oooh them just because now.
    X wife thought we had to have one cause they were some sort of cool, back to nature hippie thing, didn't last but a year or so cause I REFUSED to partake in using it.'

MeAgain and OldAsDirt like this.
  9. OldAsDirt

OldAsDirt Members

I recall hanging the washing out on the line to dry as well. Was a dream when mom got her very first automatic electric washing machine (with electric tumble dryer). Was so nice being able to to do the washing and drying in the comforts of one room, and inside.

As for hanging washing to dry, I've been line-drying for the better part of 40 years now, no winter drying though. Clothesline drying springtime through till fall here in Canada, electric tumble dryer utilized for the remainder of the year.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    MeAgain and MartNorth like this.
  10. MeAgain

Speaking of go carts with a flaming exhaust.
    Before we got hold of the motorcycle engine we acquired an old 2 cylinder 2 cycle engine off an old reel lawn mower something like the one below, except it had two cylinders.

[​IMG]
    We figured it'd work pretty good except that the rotation of the flywheel meant we'd have to face the exhaust pipe right into the back of our heads.
    So we ripped off the exhaust pipe and ran it with the exhaust coming right out of the clyinder heads. That worked for mounting the engine but the problem was it shot flames out of the exhaust ports that were about a foot long and we didn't think that would do our heads any good. So we added a piece of sheet metal to the back of the seat to intercept the flames.

It looked good in theory but as we didn't have a welder we just bolted the engine to a board that was hinged to another board bolted to the cart frame.
    Then we dropped the engine or pulled on it or something to tighten a belt running to a rear wheel.

Had a lot of power. Ripped the board right off the cart frame in .002 seconds.

Gramps69, OldAsDirt and MartNorth like this.
  11. OldAsDirt

OldAsDirt Members

Memories are the best! Couldn't help but conjure up images as I read through your story.

Gramps69 and MeAgain like this.
  12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

had one in the late 60s. (ringer washer, ours was electric though. set on the back porch with its own drainage system so it wouldn't get into the septic system and kill it) and until then.

for go carts i remember brigs and stratton. someone even made a trail bike powered by one of those.
    that engine meagain shows sure looks like my honda 55 with the centrifigul clutch that was back in the mid 60s too.

The8thdwarfe, OldAsDirt and MeAgain like this.
  13. Gramps69

Gramps69 Members

You bet I do, saw my mom's had get caught and thankfully dad was there to get her out

OldAsDirt likes this.
  14. OldAsDirt

OldAsDirt Members

I remember seeing wringer washing machines on people's back porches all the time back in the 70's, reminds of me of such warm and homey days.

I can't imagine how many people suffered injuries as a result of the old wringer washing machines.

The8thdwarfe and Gramps69 like this.
  15. OldAsDirt

OldAsDirt Members

My mom swore up and down that nothing laundered diapers better than a good old-fashioned wringer washing machine, however, so grateful I was for my automatic electric modern day washing machine when I became a mom. Baby clothes, diapers, crib sheets and bedding, my automatic electric washing machine made life so much easier when it came to doing washing.

Gramps69 likes this.