Remember when WWF, WCW was a big deal?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by DeanAmbrose, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Eric50

Eric50 Members

I can't remember which promotion it was but it aired on Saturdays on ABC at 11 am. I think. I sort of remember wrestlers like Junkyard Dog, Hillbilly Jim and later Cousin Elmer. Ivan & Nikita Koloff, Hulk Hogan and "Rowdy" Roddy Piper too. It seems like there was also Abdulla "The Butcher" or someone who was extremely fat and gross. He would waddle out to the ring and stab people with a dirty fork. Great way to get Hep C or other bloodborne diseases. This was back when the rules were looser and a folding chair could be used.

2. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That was definitely WWF, now WWE.

Eric50 likes this.
  3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Those were the days Randy Savage, Mr Perfect, Rick Rude, Jim Duggan, Sgt. Slaughter, and of course announcer and television host. "Mean" Gene Okerlund,

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

sorry about that one. i remember before anything like them was ever on tv. don't remember anyone making a big deal about it when they were though.
    just different invironments i guess. i remember in school the harlem globetrotters coming to visit, and a couple of years after that we had donkey basket ball,
    i mean, yah i know what they were and all, i think i was in my 20s when the were on tv, but what i remember is people thinking they were really a kind of total farce.
    i remember they had their fans, but the fans of them were really a tiny minority, and even i don't think most of them considered them a real sport.
    we had wrestling in p.e. in high school. and what we were taught wasn't anything like that, other then how to avoid getting injured if anyone did act like them.

5. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

6. Eric50

Eric50 Members

Hulk Hogan WWE Hulk Hogan Action Figure _ Giant Sized Wrestler Great for Kids _ 31_ Tall.jpeg

GypsyHolly83 likes this.
  7. GypsyHolly83

GypsyHolly83 Members

Omg I used to watch this with my cousins all the time as a kid lol they used to have parties for Royal Rumbles I remember that .. I liked Shawn Michaels

Eric50 likes this.
  8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

No...

9. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

I believe you meant this:

10. Eric50

Eric50 Members

Prior to 1979 it was the world wide wrestling federation. I'm not sure when they simplified the name to world wrestling federation. There were certainly a lot of crazy matches and unique bad guys and good guys too.

11. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

MAGA and the Corporate Democrats have since filled in that role of fakery.