Remember that tax cut Trump said you got?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rjhangover, Mar 7, 2018.

1. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Well it's not going to cover the price increases of his trade war....things that are going to cost you more....fruits, vegetables, meat, cars, plane tickets, computers....pretty much everything. Welcome to third world America.

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

doubtful.

machinist likes this.
  3. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

I take it you think putting American's back to work is too costly?

machinist and wilsjane like this.
  4. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

It wasn't you that was supposed to get a tax cut. That was for the corporations.

Third world 'Murica has been around for a while.

scratcho and Eric! like this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Heh, you guys actually thought you got free money? :D I remember back in Australia they did that everyone got 900$ everything also increased in the retail market. :D

6. Kerri

Kerri Members

That’s why the entire GOP is against the tariffs, which are a 18th century tactic anyway

7. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Same here in the UK.
    Preventing the western world from falling completely apart financially is never going to be a bed of roses. but the question is, whether we will swallow the bitter pill, or want to revert to our selfish old ways.
    What annoys me so much, is that I could see how it was all going to pan out 30 years ago, but everyone just seemed to bury their head in the sand and enjoy the moment.

8. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Newtons laws of physics apply to a lot more than a fat kid and the thin one bouncing up and down on a see-saw. But like the 2 kids, the outcome will always bee the same.

9. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

It's not putting "America" back to work, its putting some steel workers and aluminum workers back to work, and probab;y putting lots of folks in other occupations out of work because of the inevitable retaliatory tariffs.

scratcho and rjhangover like this.
  10. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

We could just retitle this thread "No Shit, Sherlock"

11. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

So send it back and tell them to help pay off the debt since it won't help you.

I'm glad to have a little extra and I agree I'll expect to pay more. Maybe a little less more.

Last year and year before I paid income taxes all year and then more come tax time, to the Obama legacy. Never got anything out of it.

This year I get money back. Yeah I'm hating it.

12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

The point was that the tax cut would be offset by inflation so it wouldn't help much. Sending it back wouldn't solve that problem. Wait 'till the next shoe drops, and Ryan goes to war against Social Security,Medicare, and Medicaid on the pretext that after losing all that revenue because of the tax cuts we can no longer afford them.

scratcho likes this.
  13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

to answer the title question, no i don't remember. i have my own life to live without worrying about the bullshit politicians are saying.

14. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Well, it also hasn't happened yet. That might be why you don't remember it either.

15. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Family tax cuts expire in 2026 while business tax cuts are permanent.

16. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

The stupidity of this president astounds me, and it reaches to the point of not even listening to the advice of those who are much smarter than he is. If I remember back to my university days, way back when, it was only second year economics where I took International economics and where we learned the harm and opposite effects to those intended that tariffs bring about.

17. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

The gullibility and stupidity of the American people also astound me. Basically Trump threw the American people a short lasting bone to trick them into adding on to the massive tax burden they are already carrying, meanwhile the upper 5 - 10% of the Nation, and the corporations continue to get away with paying as little tax as possible. And that burden will only continue to grow as Trump's tax plan will significantly increase the National Deficit.

As a former Securities Analyst (i.e. Stock Market Analyst) I can tell you that the last thing our Nation needs is to give corporations still lower taxes. Go through a bunch of corporate income statements from any assortment of industries and look at the actual taxes these companies are paying---and that is before this scam of a tax law went into effect. Then consider that many of these companies have shifted additional revenues and income overseas (and I'm not just talking about revenues generated overseas). And remember, you're just a number to a corporation, and if that includes being a number as an employee, then you are also an expense to that company.They are not going to pay you more just because you are taking on the tax burden they are avoiding. In fact their goal is to pay you as little as they can. And for most of you, if things get tough---they may just pull your number out of a hat, and then you are out on your ass---who cares if you have a mortgage, and kids, car payments and medical bills, and that its 3 weeks till Christmas.

And don't kid yourself that the upper 5 - 10% of the Nation's people are in the same boat as you as individuals just because the tax benefits for individuals will expire. They are already carrying a grossly unfair lesser amount of the tax burden and they too tend to shift revenue and income streams offshore to benefit from much lower taxes. (why do you think Romney only paid taxes on dividends? His income was shifted offshore and paid back to him as dividends!) And considering that they hold roughly 80% (as I recall) of domestic holdings in our stockmarket (or maybe it is 80% of the overall stockmarket---they certainly gain to benefit from increased lower corporate taxes. Don't forget that many of them get the grossly unfair executive salaries and bonuses from those very same corporations, as well as income from being board members.

Why didn't the American people stand up against this BS? They should have taken to the streets!

tumbling.dice and Tyrsonswood like this.