Remember Atari 2600, NES, Intellivision, & Colecovision?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by profezzor_x, Aug 5, 2008.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Missile Command?

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yes I think that's it. John Connor was playing it on T2 in the arcade. :p

3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I liked the bar scene in the first terminator.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm at a place called tech noir, I'm really scared, I think there may be a man that's following me.

Dude111 and tumbling.dice like this.
  5. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

To honor these, I have a small Nintendo collection, a Castlevania poster, and all of the SNES ROMS.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't think i ever finished it legitimately. i got to world 8 plenty of times, but i don't think i ever made it all the way through.

i've beaten every level now that emulators are a thing though. most of those old games are much funner now that "save state" is an option. you don't have to play for 2 hours just to get to the hard part, fail it 3 times, and start the whole game over.

Irminsul likes this.
  7. Zelda 2 is impossible. I don't know how anybody ever beat that game without a Game Genie or an emulator.

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

this is very true. i actually forgot about game genie; i wonder if they paid game developers to make impossible games to encourage game genie sales.

9. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I played plenty of tough games and beat them without a game genie and never used an emulator...Nintendo power and a few hundred spare hours got me past a few tough levels though.

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I thought Metroid was hard. I remember the code name "Justin Bailey". You would put that in as your handle or something and the game would gear you up with special weapons. It also turned you into a girl-version of Samus.

Interesting. I forgot about game genie. I played with that awhile, but I got sick of my NES. It wasn't really a hot new system by the time I got one, so I wasn't really into it. All my friends had had it for awhile, then I got one. I remember playing Super Mario 2, 3, Metroid, and Contra, and numerous rentals that I could get at down the street at a movie rental place where I later worked.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol, I said that in a thread I found looking for another thread.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

I like that song.. Burning.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  13. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i thought samus was a girl anyway?

15. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

For the first Metroid, I'm not certain, though I know in subsequent iterations Samus' true form was revealed as female. :)

My initial impression was that Samus was a badass space dude with an arm cannon. I didn't realize Samus was female at all. Then, after other Metroids were released, I found out.

16. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Epicene perhaps?

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

that makes sense. i never played the original, just the gameboy version. i liked it until i got stuck. not because a fight was too hard or anything, i just couldn't find the next damn path so i was wandering endlessly through a barren wasteland of already cleared tunnels with nowhere to go that i could find. never did figure out what i was missing.

soulcompromise likes this.
  18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

This is a pretty interesting video explaining why Mario 2 was different than all the other Mario games.

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i remember the atari 800, 400, the comodore vic 20, and 64, the mitz altair and the elf. the sinclairs and the cocos, the trs 80s and ti99s, osi c1p, and 400 series, basic in rom and saving to cassette.
    and 8 inch floppys that cost as much as a hell of a damd good high end computer, drives included does now. more even. and cp/m. and the s-100 bus. and the dec-bus. never could see the point of a machine you could only play games on and not be able to program or do anything creative yourself with though. i was impressed with the graphix when game machines first came out, but until vga migrated to general purpose personal computers, it didn't mean much to me that they had.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i remember the atari 400, 800, and the commodore vic-20 (or as the documentation that came with mine called it, the vic-1001, in jengrish)
    actual 8-bit computers, with basic in rom, that you could write your own games, though they had an expansion bus that would also accept roms.
    and a little modulator that pluged into the video output so you could use an ordinary tv for a monitor. lol.
    for that matter, i remember the frikin 'elf', though i never had one, nor the s-100 bus nor the apple one, yes there was such a thing,
    and the oliver engineering paper tape reader, and the, pickles and trout, though i forget what they made. and the penny whistle accoustic modem.
    because the phone company wouldn't let you hard wire connect anything that wasn't theirs.