remember 9/11?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by polexiayay, Aug 3, 2008.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Preparing to go to work when the the 1st one hit. I guess at that point I thought it was a screw up like years and years ago when a plane rammed into the Empire State building. When I saw the second one hit---well then it was obvious something big was happening. Never did go to work--sat in front of the TV all day. Hell of a way to die,but I guess they didn't suffer much.

2. SuperPsychMe

SuperPsychMe Member

I was in 2nd grade. I heard a kid ask the teacher if she heard about the plane that hit the building. I thought it was something local. When I got home, it was on TV. I didn't really understand the big deal at that age. I wish I did though, very sad looking back at it, just wish I understood at the time. 3 Things Ill never forget where I was when I found out: 1. 9/11 2. Michael Jackson died 3. Osama Bin Laden was killed by US soldiers

3. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

I was at home watching the news all day long...

4. Lodog

Lodog ¿

I was at work cleaning out someone's ear.

5. luna26

luna26 Member

I remember I woke up that morning to get ready for school. I was in the 6th grade, about 10-years-old going on 11 when it happened. My mom was in the dining room watching the news from the small TV. She was crying and I had no idea what was going on until I saw when the second tower got hit and the building fell.

School was no different. People were crying, we ignored our assignments and watch the news all day. Seeing on tv, how people jumped from the windows stories high crushed my heart... mostly because we were all just watching people dying. It's a horrible feeling.

Now, I'm watching TV as they go over 9/11. I'm getting chills seeing the towers go down. It's just a nightmare to watch all over again. :(

6. bluedragonfly

bluedragonfly Member

I was in 8th grade and we had ISTEP testing. They decided it would be better for us to keep doing our stupid tests, and didn't tell us what had happened until the last period of the day. I remember seeing teachers crying all day and wondering what the heck was going on. There were all kinds of rumors flying around school, including one that Washington state had been blown up. I freaked out because my Uncle lives in Oregon, but at the time I was dumb and thought he lived in Washington, lol.
    It still makes me mad that they didn't stop our regular schedule and let us watch the news. Every other school in our school district watched the news, while we were left wondering what the hell happened. I feel like I missed a really important part of history by not seeing it until later that night.

7. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

I was pregnant I was 19.I was driving to work early in the am. It was a windy day. and kinda cold. possible rain? I was listening to howard stern and that morning he was really serious and hes never serious. he was worried and ended up signing off his show to leave early because of it I think. I worked at a financial management firm and there were a few people there who knew people in the building. our company might have done some business of some sort with someone in there...people were worried and there was internets going with footage and news all morning in cubicles. that never happened since people are supose to work. I think we might have all left early that day. I was scared to bring a new baby into such a world. I watched the news all day. I cried that night. then on top of that something hit the pentagon...I think that just made it that much more horrible...I was horrified for the families and the peopel trapped and seeing the building crush everyone like that as it happened was insane!!its un imaginable really...it was crazy times.actually brings tears to my eyes to think of all those people trapped in a crushing building falling to a burning death and their families never being able to identify their parts. very sad very vaery sad. I think everyone should be left to rest in peace. I think this ten years was a representation of the biggest funeral we've seen in a while in the good ol usa

8. PeaceInTime

PeaceInTime Member

Yeah I remember it clearly.. I was in grade 3, and I was very annoyed becuase Cheese TV wasn't on (morning kids cartoon program) and instead the news was on. I remember thinking the footage was the most amazing explosion I'd ever seen, still think that.. it's a pretty amazing sight.

But what made it worse was when I got home, even on ABC the kids shows were cancelled for news which was the worst cos I missed out on CatDog and Angry Beavers and everything!
    Then Simpsons wasn't on either!

What a shit day.

9. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I was in class at the time high school, sitting in the back of the class room looking at my paper or some book. The teacher had turned the t.v on I saw a plane and a building didn’t know what the hell was going on. My teacher was saying is this some kind of joke? My mom came and got me and took me home. We did nothing but have the news on the rest of the day. I still have newspapers from that day

10. qwertstormer

qwertstormer Guest

I got dropped off at school and thought I was late because no one was outside, when I walked to my classroom it was locked but everyone was inside. After they unlocked it I went inside and found everyone watching the news on the TV.

11. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i was hitchhiking through the badlands and slept in a graveyard
    that night . next day there was no shortage of people being nice
    to an old hippie going home .

12. HeathenHippie

HeathenHippie Member

I'd just burned the midnight oil on a client's project and hadn't been asleep but a couple of hours when the (now ex) wife woke me up all kinds of freaked out after the second impact. She was very agitated and anxious, but my response was, "I'm surprised it took this long", and after a half hour or so I went back to bed.

I often wish they'd ground the airliners again. The quiet was nice.

13. Seamus Gudgie

Seamus Gudgie Member

I was in Coventry at the time getting ready for my wedding on the 15th. I had just got back from meeting my Mum from work. When I got back to my Dads flat where I was staying. my fiancee was watching it on the TV. The first plane had just hit and we watched open mouthed as the 2nd one hit. Just totally couldn't beleive what was happening. My Uncle worked in the Twin Towers for 2 days every 2 weeks so we were worried until he called to say he was in New Orleans. He couldn't make it to the wedding but called to wish us good luck.

14. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

I was on a course at the National Outdoor Centre at Play-y-Brenin, and we were away up in the mountains of North Wales. When we came bak down and returned to the Brenin, the atmosphere was electric and we crowded into the bar to watch it on the television.

I remember wishing that the towers would just collapse and put those poor people out of their misery, and that no more brave rescuers would have to risk their lives going in to them.

15. RenmenTout

RenmenTout Member

I was at Fort Bragg, doing some training with new recruits. I wasn't scared for myself but for all those people stuck in the top. We all watched it on tv. I knew that meant I was gonna be shipped out, and sure enough I was there on October 7th when we invaded Afghanistan.

I remember it well. I was 33 years old when it happen.

16. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

I was working at a university, and someone had set up television sets all over the student union. People were angry and upset and there was an announcement that the university closed early for security reasons.

I called home and asked if anyone were watching television and to say I got out of work early and was going to the movies. I bought a few out-of-town papers, and that was really it.

17. Man Yellow

Man Yellow Member

I was working 2nd shift at the time, and I watched the whole thing on TV at home. It was surreal.

18. batman_93

batman_93 Member

I remember being in 3rd grade and noticing that throughout the day, kids were getting picked up and going home. Well, more than usual. I remember telling my teacher if she noticed too, and she was like: "something special might be going on." Well, it then turns out that my mom picked me up as well. It was weird. When I got home, I saw that my parents were watching the news and they were showing the twin towers. I can't remember what time it was, though. And actually, I can't remember what I felt as I was looking at the screen.

19. MercuryMorrison

MercuryMorrison Member

I was in 7th grade when it happend...I actually didn't know that it happend until around 10am.

Back then I had a ritual, my first perioud class was math which I hated, so I would always go sit in the back of the room and do my best to sleep while appearing at first glance to be awake.

Anyway, I did this on the morning of 9/11/01 and and at some point I remember thinking to myself, ''why haven't I gotten in trouble yet?'' At which point I sat up and saw that the lights were out with a T.V at the end of the room showing the Twin Towers.

That whole day we did nothing in any of our classes except watch the 9/11 event's unfold.

20. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

I was sitting watching the TV and tough holey fuck:confused: