Remakes

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by YankNBurn, Mar 5, 2006.

1. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

I cant help but hate remakes like "When a Stranger Calls" and "Hills Have Eyes" I saw the originals and well "When a Stranger Calls" is totally bogus in this day and age. I mean when it was forst made it was corded phones, no caller id, no recording to let you know you dialed your own number and like a 3 minute time to make the trace on a call. Now you have so many things that make that all seem like bogus!

2. Jesus the Jedi

Jesus the Jedi Senior Member

Yea, im a huge horror buff and these remakes piss me off.

But The Thing was a remake, was that not amazing? And Alexander Aja (who did high tensions) is directing, with Wes Craven producing, the remake for The Hills Have Eyes, and this movie, will be brutal, it wont be that 'gorefest' that hostel thought it was, it will be down to earth wolf creek but with better taste, it will be the original just spiced up, bigger budget, more gore :).

Im very excited for it, but yea, other than that remakes tend to suck, theyre remaking the hitcher (why god? why!?)

3. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Yes it is like they all hit a creative wall or something. Instead of creating, they just redo what was there before them. If they are gonna do that do something like combine 2010 and Maximum Overdrive or something. Have all the machines and computers go nuts for a day, lol

4. Jesus the Jedi

i just saw the remake for the hills, i was so pumped, the chicago tribune gave it 1 1/2 stars for being to violent, it wasnt violent enough.

i was so let down.

5. seancourt

seancourt Free Your Mind

i think originals are alot better for the most part

Dude111 likes this.
  6. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

I can't think of any recent horror movie remakes that are any good. If these people think they can do better then the original, why not make up something original. It is sad, the "Dawn of the Dead" remake had a budget of about 50 million but when George Romero makes a new original zombie movie, he can only get $15 million for a budget and he basically created the modern zombie genre.

"The Thing" isn't really a remake because it came from a short story from a book. John Carpenter didn't copy the earlier movie adaption, he wrote a script adapted from the book. Just like the recent "Lord of the Ring" trilogy isn't a remake of the older animated movies that had been made from the same book source.

7. Jesus the Jedi

the thing is a remake of the movie 'the thing that came from outer space' which was based on the book.

8. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

John Carpenter's version is less a remake of the Howard Hawks' version than a more faithful adaptation of John W. Campbell's short story "Who Goes There? Both movie's script's based on the book as the source material. John Carpenter's "The Thing" was based on the book not the script from the Howard Hawks' version. Look at how many adaptations of "Alice in Wonderland" there are. None of them are remakes, they are all based on the book as the source material.

9. Jesus the Jedi

Good point, never really thought of it like that.

10. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

With remakes like "The Hills have Eyes", "When a Stranger Calls", "Dawn of the Dead", "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Pyscho" the original film is the source material as opposed to a book (or some other medium). It is kinda strange, people don't usually rewrite other peoples' books. Remaking movies, escepially cult horror classics, I think most of the time it is done purely to make money not to make better art.

11. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Yeah I mean if they want to do something then find new material, I mean like Ed Gaint (hope spelled right) his life spawned of Physco, Texas Chainsaw, and there was another but I forgot. He was a real freak so find another and make a movie from thats freaks habits, lol

12. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Hell do one on the shit the goverment does to all of us and that would scare the hell out of us all, lol. Do one on if Rosane Barr was in charge of the food budget of an foster home.

13. Jesus the Jedi

*Ed gein, and the one your forgetting is silence of the lambs.
    Theyre making a movie on the Zodiac killer of the 70s (no its not another dirty harry movie :)) david fincher is directing so you know its good.

and occasionally there is a remake that improves on the original, and takes the movie away from its source, and some movies can benifit from proper remake treatment, for one i think the hell scenes in hellraiser 2 could use a little bit of a treatment, or the werewolfs in the howling.

14. Mayor West

Mayor West Member

Horror remakes serves no purpose, and it pretty much looks like to me that "Hollywood" has finally given up on making real movies. And I can see why I don't see movies in theaters anymore because of this.

15. JoneeEarthquake

JoneeEarthquake Member

rob zombie is remaking haloween

16. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

I was really disappointed with both of those... The remake of When a Stranger Calls isnt even like the original, nor even that scary or intense as the orignal...
    As for The Hills Have Eyes, I liked the orignal better because the people didn't look all crazy and weren't mutated which made it more realistic..

Remakes are almost always a let down..