Religion

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by DazedAndConfused, May 31, 2004.

1. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

I guess we'll know when we die... It's impossible that there is nothing

2. MeatWagon499

MeatWagon499 Senior Member

its possible, and every person has been to "the void", we were all there before birth werent we?

3. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

I was also raised Catholic, but exposed to both Christian reformed, and Lutheran factions. I, myself, and Pentecostal. The Pentecostal faith is founded on the direct teachings of Jesus Christ... baptism in his name, infilling of the holy ghost (I have a post about speaking in tongues some place in the philosophy and religion forum), etc. Their old skool and all the women wear skirts, no make up and other than wedding/engagment rings, there is a lack of jewerly. I thoroughly enjoy my church because my pastor always has a mind blowing message and the presence of God is very powerful. I know I am among true believers. The praise and worship part of our service includes live music and dancing as an expression of joy. I can honestly say that the members of my church are family to me.

4. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

maybe it's possible, but I just can't imagine it!

5. antithesis

antithesis Hello

So it sounds like your saying that only the Abrahamic religions have killed people, and that all that they do is kill people. Get a fucking clue and learn about the actual religion instead of just looking at one side of it. Go read some literature about it or something and then you will gain a better understanding.

6. MeatWagon499

im looking at the more popular religions, sorry for not throughly going through them. but its hard for me to look at religion as a good thing when its done so much bad in this world and continues to. all im saying is that atheism never harmed anyone.

I didnt mean to offend you or anything, so dont take it so personal, were both mature enough to have an intelligent conversation without being rude here.

7. antithesis

antithesis Hello

The rudeness started with you, my friend. Unless you don't think that it's rude to call people from certain religions murderers. I however, do find that to be rude, and untrue.

8. metro

metro self-banned

I'm not religious. I simply believe in right and wrong and that is determined by my moral compass/conscience. My parents never took me or my siblings to church and for that I'm greatful. I am very uncomfortable at religious events (funerals, baptisms that I'm forced to go to), I hate how everyone thinks they are so righteous and all the silly rituals actually mean something. I've heard that it's healthy to have faith, but I can't pretend.

9. MeatWagon499

ok dipshit, now im being rude. Do I have to point it out to you? Its right here:

"christianity has killed ALOT of people, same with judaism, and islam"
    I referred to 3 religions that in effect have resulted in mass deaths since their creation. Sorry for not listing every known religion on earth that has killed people, and sorry for not listing some of the ones that have done man some good, I thought you'd get the point of that sentence and i wouldnt have to analyze this for you without you calling rude and telling me to get a clue.

---

"...it's rude to call people from certain religions murderers."

I did'nt call all people from certain religions murderers, I said that some religions have resulted in people fighting over who's right, over land thats supposed to be "holy", and killing people who refuse to convert.

"I however, do find that to be rude, and untrue."
    It is indeed not true, all people of religions arent murderers. Maybe if you could read properly you would've realized that.

10. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Wow, it seems like a lot of people were raised Catholic but converted! Go figure...

Well, I was raised catholic too... most of my family is pretty bible-thumpery, and even though I'm a very spiritual person, I never got all the politics that the catholic church taught.

I was always attracted to earth energies, always interested in Native Indian spirituality, but I found out about Wicca about 8 or 9 years ago, and ever since I've been practicing that. I don't think that it's so much jumping on any kind of bandwagon - I'm the only one I know who practices it, other than a few people I met online... but i pretty much outlines what I've always felt I believed.

11. -GOD-

-GOD- Banned

I would appreciate if the natives of Wakikili Island stopped throwing virgin blonds into volcanos. You can send them to me directly.

12. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I'm disappointed Meat, I was hoping for something a lot more rude than that. :D

13. -GOD-

-GOD- Banned

Do not taketh the name of God in vain.

You wouldn't like to find out that a new disease will be named after you, would you?

14. makno

makno Senior Member

god bless us , every one!...

15. -GOD-

-GOD- Banned

Makno, I am blas...er...blessing you.

Hint: start buying lottery tickets.

16. DazedAndConfused

DazedAndConfused Guest

Can't we all just have a decent conversation!? I made this thing up and asked really nicely if we could refrain ourselves from arguing. I guess you have no respect. It's sad that I can't ask anyones opinion on their religion without fighting....

17. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Forgive me for ever expressing an opinion, because that is what I was doing. Next time just tell me to not express any of my opinions and I'll keep them to myself. I guess you're not really interested in what people have to say. I was just expressing my opinion that I didn't approve of that guys opinion. Please forgive me for liking to argue, please please please.

I was drunk when I wrote that, but you cannot expect everyone to reply to an open thread in exactly the way that you want them to. You can't stop people from writing what they want to write. If my posts offend you so much then just put me on your ignore list. Or add to my already accumulated bad karma.

I don't have much to live for, and so I am going to say what I want to say.

18. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Sorry, disregard my negativeness, I think I need to take some hormone pills or something ;)

I still stand by what I said though, I can't not argue, it's just part of my personality.

19. DazedAndConfused

DazedAndConfused Guest

Sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like you couldn't express your opinion... i just thought it would be better for everyone if you put it in a better way...:D if you thought any differently im sorry i didn't mean to be such an ass.:p

20. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

i think its best in choosing one's own religion, to find the one that killed the least people