Religion and the military: Opposite ends of the same spectrum

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by green_thumb, Jan 19, 2005.

1. green_thumb

green_thumb kill your T.V.

I'm reading a book right now (Yearning Wild by Glendon Brunk) that has shown the similarities of religion and the military, both of which I have an aversion to.

Both rely on a sheeplike willingness of people to follow, to not ask questions. Both involve encountering the smug self-righteousness of assumed authority. Both are institutions entirely dependent upon the manufacture and manipulation of men's fear and rage.

I think these are good points and anyone who finds themselves in either predicament (faith or the military), should consider the fact that they've been manipulated and should make efforts to commence some independent thinking. It's for your own good.

2. Revenant Phantasm

Revenant Phantasm Member

Thats dumb. Religion and military are different.

3. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

Using that kind of logic, then Homosexuality is just like Heterosexuality, because it pertains to sexuality. And Hunting for eagles is just like shopping for shoes because your looking for something. And pushing an elderly woman down a flight of stairs is just like mowing the lawn, because your pushing something......

4. soliloquy

soliloquy Banned

I like your logic ! both have followers who don't always agree with the dogma, yet blindly carry on ignoring the blatant hypocrisy displayed by the administrations...
    [​IMG]
    Now that's funny ...... I must remember that !

5. green_thumb

I hope you don't seriously think you've made a pertinent example here! The issue is mind control. Anyone with a shred of dignity will avoid it at all costs.

6. Revenant Phantasm

Revenant Phantasm Member

Ignorance spreads lies. Find out more about the topic before you post anything.

7. green_thumb

Everyone knows the military brainwashes you. I know people who've made the mistake of joining.
    Everyone knows religion brainwashes you.
    My father said he knows a Catholic priest who told him "Give me access to a child from the ages of 4-8 and I'll make him/her a Catholic for life."

8. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

Religion of convience may prefer you not ask questions. True faith would expect you ask questions so you may understand. I am sure there are many similarities between modern. "Christianity" and the military.

9. Revenant Phantasm

Revenant Phantasm Member

Green_thumb, if your friend joined and he was brainwashed then you probably wouldnt really know about it, and with that catholic priest thing maybe it had to do with the nasties..

10. green_thumb

yeah, the man who wrote the book I'm reading was raised a Menonite but developed a strong dislike for religion due to the way it oppresses free thought.
    They may wish for you to ask questions so they may provide the ready-made answers, but do they really want people to continue questioning once those answers are provided? What if you are not convinced?

11. green_thumb

Your intellectually slack reasoning is hardly worth replying to.
    Are you in the military? Were you forced into faith as a child?

12. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

Your very impresionable arnt you?

Its sad that you believe that only the people you come in contact with, make up the entire sample group for your infallable study. You have alot of hard life expierience ahead of you...

13. soliloquy

soliloquy Banned

We may not agree politically but we defiantly share a common opinion regarding religion .... vive la difference !!!!

14. element7

element7 Random fool

Religion is promoted through military training. It is true. Your common no-brained idiot cannot pass basic without acknowledging "The Lord our God". Many times during basic training religion actually serves as an 'out' from the drills. Consider Sunday, it's represented as 'holy'. One can get away with stealing cigs from visitors, one can even sell pot on that special day. Besides D.I's getting ripped on Jack Daniels and submitting their poor victims to a sandfly pit because they attended a black vocal church instead of white "I'm here" church and made a hella bunch a noise about it , (the black preachers have a way of makin' a man thankful, happy, and vocal) is actually quite common. There's a huge disparity betwixt religion and just plain being spiritual. Lately, the USN has been rather discriminative towards the more vocal(singing gospel) groups , than towards others. GEE, I wonder why that might be? Maybe because the singing surpasses any conformative effort and goes directly to the spirit. BTW, remember MLK.

15. green_thumb

Ugh. No. Just because I used some personal examples to strengthen my argument, it doesn't mean they are what I have based my viewpoints on, obviously they are not! There has been much written about religion and its effects, I don't need to conduct a "study". What I witness in everyday life only affirms what I've read.

16. green_thumb

Great to hear :). I'm sorry to see you've been banned, hopefully it is only temporary, I think you stimulated discussion. Besides, I'm against banning for the most part and I tend to rebel against authority, so perhaps I'll join you soon enough if I don't behave:H. I was banned myself from Democratic Underground several times for suggesting Kerry could do a better job of campaigning. I know how it feels to have your speech stifled.
    Whoops, here I go horribly off topic, in my own thread no less:eek:.

17. green_thumb

Thanks for the thoughtful post.
    My sister was in basic training for the Marines a few years back, thankfully she reconsidered and dropped out.