Regan died

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mui, Jun 5, 2004.

1. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Reagan was more style than substance.
    His style was substantial.
    His substance was substandard.

I don't mourn the guy, people give him too much credit, saying he toppled communism, when the truth is the Soviet Union was already in a downward spiral when he took office. His trickle-down economics were a failure, increasing hunger in America. He renewed optimism and patriotism among Americans, but in doing so he made "liberal" a dirty word, making it difficult to speak out against him. And of course there's Iran-Contra.

Still, there's something to be said for the man's charisma. He said, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" and two years later the Berlin Wall was torn down. He got people to rally behind him and believe in America again after the years of Vietnam, Watergate and the Iran Hostage Crisis. Maybe what must be admitted about Reagan is that he came along at the right time.

2. GrievousAngel

GrievousAngel Banned

Mui and Dharma, you two are the perfect example of egotistical, and the arrogant left. Your use of the word facist is sooooooooo correct. I am glad i never saw Reagan's Facist Regime (RFR) for future reference.

3. razm

razm Member

True that the USSR was turning for the worse when Mr. Reagan took the helm, but he's the man that steered us into winning.
    Wrong, they were a smashing success man.
    I mean dude, it is undoubted that President Reagan produced one of the greatest periods of economic growth in general with his supply side economics. I'm pretty sure Bill Clinton even said that his tax cuts caused the economic explosion in the 90's, but don't quote me. Plus he got rid of tax shelters man.....I would have assumed you to be thrilled about that.

Ronald Reagan's success cannot be put on circumstance, he's the guy that got it done. I mean yeah, there were circumstances, but I mean sheesh they were more like incredible obstacles to be over come, and he either did it or started the ball rolling. Nice post newo.

4. Maverick

Maverick Banned

God-*goes on a swearing fit*
    Can't a dead man get any respect? I swear, you people are idiots. He's dead! Let it go! What the hell is your problem? Stop kicking a dead horse and find something else to do! Let him have some dignity for God's sake.

5. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Ellis, thank you for putting RayGun into the Perspective he should be put into for this site!!!! Last time I checked, this was Hip Forum A Hippie Site. Anyone who had the contempt for Hippies this man Raygun had, and had the Blood Lust for war and war machines he did needs to be looked at with a critical eye by those who have gone out of their way (as I and others here have) to join a Hippie Website!!!!

I am sure Nancy is releived. As much as I do not care for this womyn and her ilk, I can't imagine what living with a man, drooling and in diapers, who cannot speak, or even recognise her, is like. I am sure she is happier than she has been in 10 years.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I doubt most of the people that come here take the "hippy" theme seriously. These are simply forums where people of a multitude of beliefs can post their thoughts. It would be kind of lame if everyone here fit the hippy stereotype.

How is registering for a website going out of the way?

I am not a fan of Reagan myself, but he was better than Bush at running this country. Focusing on how "hippy" people are is kind of lame and silly.

7. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

(Continued in next post)

8. EllisDTripp

(Continued from last post)

9. Maggie Sugar

True.(But there is a difference between "stereotype" and actual being.) I have nothing against multiple beleifs,(wouldn't be a good hippie if I did LOL) it keeps things interesting, and it important. But people really should at least aknowlege the origins of this site. And the fact that Raygun had a rabid hatred of Hippies.

Well, I didn't just register. I searched for a site I thought would be close to my lifestyle and the way I live. I looked at quite a few, did several engine searches, and a lot of reading and lurking and chose this one. I know not everyone here did this, but it means at least something to me.

10. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i just kinda tripped over it one day, read up a bit, and really liked the wide variety of views and lifestyles. you don't grow by only talking to a being with people just like you, you stagnate, you lose your ability to make sound arguments if everyone just believes you anyway. besides, i'm surrounded on all sides by people who are very conservative and kinda mock me for not being conservative enough. it's kinda creepy. but it's funny, i get yelled at here for the exact opposite, yet the same, reason. lol.

11. Maggie Sugar

That isn't what I was saying KC. I did look for a hippie freindly site. That doesn't mean I only want to talk to people who agree with me about everything. I have a real life, with a large number of people in it, who have a lot of different beleifs and value systems. I CHOOSE this site, because I though there would be like minded people here. WHY on earth else would someone come to a "hippie site?" I can't figure that one out. Everyone likes somewhere they can go where they feel they belong.

12. mynameiskc

well sure, maggie. i also come here for the wide variety of people and opinions. but since i don't belong anywhere else, either, this place does fine. i have a lot of friends here.

13. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

People have been waiting 5 hours and more to file past his coffin. Americans have bought Ronald Reagan hook line and sinker.

Just when the Bush campaign needed a shot in the arm....

14. mynameiskc

lol. that's actually kinda funny.

15. Maggie Sugar

Yeah, a Politically Convenient Death. LOL!

16. mynameiskc

a republican to the core. i wonder when the conspiracy theories will come up.

17. Lizz

Lizz Member

Reagan was a republican, yes. He was a conservative, yes. I'll never say that I ever agreed with his policies, because I didn't and still don't. But he was a good leader. He gave our country a sense of OPTIMISM, of HOPE. That's not something Bush is doing right now. Bush is appealing to the worst in us, and his approval ratings are through the floor. Reagan may not have made the best moves during his presidency, but that's no reason to hate him. I wouldn't exactly call him a fascist, either. I know for a fact he would NOT have sent us to Iraq. It's not nice to pinhole all republicans into the same category, either. Sure, there have been much better presidents. Sure, his policies were questionable. Of course, now Bush is saying he's trying to be Reagan. I'm no republican or conservative, I'm much more far to the left, but so many who call themselves leftists are blinded into thinking "o da iraq war wuz so bad! we shouldnt have gone! republicans are devillz!"... Those people are just as bad as any conservative ever was. See, I applaud those conservative, those TRUE conservatives, who look past the lies of Bush or anything the media might be blindly feeding them. They have a TRUE basis for their opinions. Any person who truly fights for their opinions, no matter what. Bush has moved the republican party farther than it has ever been. So many liberals are always so pessimistic. At least people like Reagan were OPTIMISTIC. Iraq was a bad idea, of course, but what are you gonna do about it?

Again, I'm no republican. Or democrat. I'm very liberal, my self. Hell, I LIKE communism (well, Marxism), but I'm not going to hope Reagan is burning in hell or anything.

And to re-electgore, I noticed your signature. My sister and mother absolutely ADORED Edwards. Me, I was more of a Dean supporter, myself.

That was not aimed at anyone, just my 2 cents.

And young people can have strong political opinions, too. I know I do.

18. Rockman

Rockman Member

I'm tired of all this "I may not agree with what he did, but he was a good person...blah blah blah" bullshit.

How many Latin American death squads to you have to support before you're officially a bad person?

How many fascist regimes do you have to back before you're officially a bad person?

How many vicious muslim fundamentalists do you have to back before you're a bad person?

How many hundreds of billions of dollars do you have to help steal before you're a bad person?

Reagan was at the forefront of the economic policies that are destroying the world today. Was there economic growth? Yes, at the cost of a massive debt, a decimated social safety net, a recession and the S&L scandal, where the theives made off with hundreds of billions of dollars. Worse yet, he was another of the long line of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" presidents backing some of the most nasty terroriststs (state and otherwise) on the planet to fight the demons of "communism" (or at least mild social democracy) wherever American financial interests seemed threatened. How many people had to be murdered and tortured for this man's crusade?

I'll shed no tears for him. If you had REAL respect for the dead then you'd be respecting the thousands upon thousands of the man's victims in Nicaragua, Iran, Afghanistan, El Salvador, the Phillipines, Haiti and elsewhere.

19. EllisDTripp

Bravo, Rockman! GREAT POST!!!

20. duke the hippie

duke the hippie Member

When it comes to politics I plead the fifth. However I must share with you what American Senator John Kerry said about Reagan, "if he disagreed with you, he did it with a smile." :)

That's my two cents worth. :)