Red Hot Chili Peppers accused of plagiarism

Discussion in 'Music' started by SLammon420, Jun 3, 2006.

1. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

jaco and edgar meyer are good examples, yes.

2. bassplaya

bassplaya Member

thank you! no one else believes me. my friend was like, "oh i heard last dance on teh radio yesterday, and i was thinking it was dani california for awhile"

stupid ppl....

3. PeterPan

PeterPan Member

4. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

The Red Hot Chili Peppers have been accused of plagiarism by a radio station in America.

The station, WGMD in Delaware, has produced pretty damning evidence that the bands last single ‘Dani California’ is a rip off of a Tom Petty track.

The song in question is Petty’s 90’s hit ‘Mary Jane’s Last Dance’ and the radio stations Morning Show presenter and producer have alleged the plagiarism.

Producer Jared Morris said: “The chord progression, the melody, the tempo, the key, the lyrical theme… they’re identical.”

Show presenter Dan Gaffney has produced this MP3 to show up the similarities and help people make their own decisions.

5. PeterPan

PeterPan Member

sorry dude. I didn't mean that what you and the website are claiming is B.S. I meant the situation itself is shitty. And like the accussation is BS. Thatz wat I ment. Little misunderstanding or my bad wording things. I din't mean to start beef.

6. Jesus the Jedi

Jesus the Jedi Senior Member

The reason he posted the article was because you said you couldnt find any info on the link.

7. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Oh, yeah I was only posting the article because you said you couldn't find any info. I wasn't posting it in defense or anything. No worries, man.

8. ChinaCatSunflower02

ChinaCatSunflower02 Senior Member

thank you dude. this whole fucking thing on stealing songs is so much bullshit and it's ridiculous that there's got to be legal issues involved with this shit. the chord progression is A,G,D,A. i'm sure there's millions of people who have used that same progression. both songs are great, and have completely different vibes to them. so who the hell cares.

9. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

either way, Tom Petty has not said anythign about whether he is planning on suing or not, I found an article (should have copied the USL =/) actually quoting his spokesperson that said that Tom Pety has not made a comment of any sort on the subject

10. ChinaCatSunflower02

tom petty seems like to me the type of guy that wouldn't be an asshole about this kind of thing and i hope i'm right.

11. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Yeah, Tom Petty seems like he'd rather be sitting back, chilling, and roasting a fatty rather than suing someone.

12. boothy

boothy Senior Member

yeah but his music is property of the record company that it was released under. and major record comapnies are like leeches when it comes to money - they will squeeze every last drop of it.

13. ChinaCatSunflower02

that's very true^