Red Hot Chili Peppers accused of plagiarism

Discussion in 'Music' started by SLammon420, Jun 3, 2006.

1. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

2. AnOriginalName

AnOriginalName Senior Member

I doubt it was intentional.

3. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

its not like thats the first time its ever happened in rock.......

bands are borrowers and theives.....

the chili peppers better hope that tom petty isnt an ass about this whole situation, because it does sound completely like plagiarism....... they'll probably end up suing the chili peppers and their management company, just to get royalties, and tom petty's name next to that track.....

4. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Did you guys find the sound clip on there? I think there's one. I know they're being sued by someone, but I don't think it's Tom Petty.

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

as my friend Bling Lemming Chiffon ( parody artist) said last night:
    "there are no fully new songs."

6. greentree

greentree Member

the sound clips sound really really similar though, i feel sorry for rhcp if it was accidental

7. greentree

greentree Member

*double post*

8. CaptainBeefheartFan

CaptainBeefheartFan Screwed Up

I don't know man. I definately don't think it was intentional, but at the same time, they sound so similar. I think I'll have to go with the peppers on this one and say that it was unintentional plagerism. They probably heard the song a while ago when it came out, forgot about it, and all of the sudden got this melody in their heads and used it.

9. Jesus the Jedi

Jesus the Jedi Senior Member

Who cares, the new album is just californication part 3, every fucking track is the same.

chili peppers have been shitting out the same music since under the bridge was a big hit.

dont get me wrong, i love the chili peppers, mothers milk is one of the greatest albums of all time.

10. citrus_seas

citrus_seas Senior Member

Tom Petty is the one suing them. The RHCP song sounds identical to Petty's "Last Dance With Mary Jane".

11. Jesus the Jedi

Jesus the Jedi Senior Member

Thanks for summing up that article for those of us that are incapable of clicking a link.

12. Radiation

Radiation Ruling the Nation

Eh, I don't know. You can't copyright a chord progression, though they do have pretty much the same rhythm. If anything's gonna get them in trouble, it'll probably be the similiar (but not that similiar) meters, and the shared folksy/rapping vibe. On the other hand, the choruses are nothing alike, but I don't know whether the courts take that into account or not.

Either way, I guess we'll see what happens.

13. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

you know, the rolling stones management company won a battle with the verve, on their biggest hit "bitter sweet symphony". the verve only took the melody and similair instruments on this obscure 1964 classical version of "this could be the last time", and they won!! as you can see, on their album, urban hymns, the track is credited as jagger/richards. so they collect all the royalties, that bites, huh?

14. Radiation

Yeah, but that was actually sampled from the album, though, so it was pretty tough for them to disprove the copyright infringement. Really sucked for the Verve, though.

15. seaweedyness

seaweedyness Member

which song on the alblum is the "copy"? (my apologies for not reading the link)

16. Radiation

Dani California

17. longhaircountryboy

longhaircountryboy Banned

how in the fuck do you copyright Am G D..I dunno abt the chili peppers song,but thats the only chords in mary janes last dance.

18. boothy

boothy Senior Member

^It wasnt just the chords, it was the melody and stuff too, read the original article.

And just out of interest.. perhaps one of the most blatant copywright infringments... Oasis - Ciggarettes and Alcohol was a direct rip-off on the T.Rex - Get it On riff... but to my knowledge noone cared. This might be because Oasis are only really that poular in the UK, and unlike the US we don't tend to hand out lawsuits left right and center.

Also, the new Chili's album is so mediocre couldn't-give-a-fuck-it-will-sell-regardless bollocks.

19. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Yeah, I know that. I'm not sure if it is actually Tom Petty himself or the record company big dogs who are suing the Chili Peppers.

The day before I found out about this, I was watching John Frusciante play and I was thinking about how much he sounded like Jimi Hendrix with some of his solos. He was talking about how Hendrix is such a huge influence on him in Guitar World...it shows a whole hell of alot sometimes. I also was listening to Dani California and trying to figure out what other song it sounded like...I knew it sounded like an existing song.

I'm interested to see what happens with it all though.

20. longhaircountryboy

longhaircountryboy Banned

I'm listening to dani california now & dont hear anything sounding like petty.maybe the lyric pattern,but even thats pushing it