Recycling Clothes etc

Discussion in 'Recycling' started by yugogypsy, Oct 20, 2010.

1. yugogypsy

yugogypsy Member

Okay, maybe I should be in the clothes section, but here goes.

1) Check internet for patterns for making ladie's undies and mens boxers out of t-shirts

2) got a run in those pantyhose-DON'T throw them out-braid or cut into strips and knit up a bedside rug (War trick)

3) got a favorite sweater that's popped a few holes, if you can't mend it, unravel it and make something new-my fave is cotton sweaters remade into towels, I'm working on one today

4) CD's make great bird repellers in the garden or anywhere else you don't want nests.

5) Tuna cans make great cup holders if you have older vehicle-cut notch in can for cup handle and screw onto a flat piece of dashboard (I know, mone has one)

6) Even the rolls from toilet paper can be covered in wallpaper or colored paintings or drawings for a mobile-check internet (I learned how back in Sunday school:eek:)

Basic rule of recycling in my house is "Can I do something else with it?

Try that line of things and good luck.

HUGS
    LOIS

2. yugogypsy

yugogypsy Member

Yeah, you even have a whole bunch of Feecycle Groups there, we have a few on the "Big Island" in Canada, I'm on the south end of it, so use the Victoria and Duncan groups as I'm sorta in the middle of the two!

CHEERS
    Lois

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I never heard of CDs being used as bird repellers. I wonder if they make for good deer repellers too. Ought to give that a try.

I've been using old CDs (that have good graphic designs) as coasters in my apartment.

4. Nothing goes in my house until I'm absolutely sure it can not be used for some other purpose ;)

5. broony

broony Banned

If i ever get rid of cloths or anything in my house, i try to give it to someone less fortunate. I have a few friends who are very poor. They will always take my old cloths, a jacket for the winter, my old smoking pipe. :)

6. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

All my grocery bags are made from the legs of my husband's old work pants.

Holey socks are slit open and become rags.

My kids' clothes are worn to death. Whatever survives is handed down. I also buy mostly second hand.

I do a lot of sewing, so I keep anything like buttons, zippers or neat embroidery before finally letting go...

7. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I have not worn stockings in decades but back in the 70's I used old stockings to stuff pillows. If you are using pantyhose remove the elastic before using them as stuffing. :2thumbsup:

Most of my clothes are from Goodwill. If I am not using something and it is still good I take it back to Goodwill.

8. yugogypsy

yugogypsy Member

I am the same, only I use the Salvation Army store as we don't have a Goodwill here. I even recycle my potting soil by adding fresh fertilizer and compost to it. So far that works well.

I use Freecycle a lot, someone gave me a radial arm saw and I didn't have a clue how to use it and neither did my partner Rick so we Freecycled it last week.

We are going to have a garage sale because we can't recycle everything and because we need a few extra bucks.

Take Care everyone, enjoy summer
    Lois