Reconciliation

Discussion in 'Canada' started by GuerrillaLorax, Oct 31, 2018.

1. quark

quark Parts Unknown

What a flag.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Flag. Penalty Broncos.

3. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

Here is the speech and an interview with the speaker:

4. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Haven't watched the video yet, but I wanted to recommend a couple of podcasts to you. One is called Thunder Bay and is produced by CanadaLand. The other is The Red Man Laughing Podcast. Both are hosted by Ryan McMahon, and are really good.

I'm not going to post about this stuff in here because I don't really care to deal with the ignorance of most people on this issue, especially when they don't live here and don't understand the history at all, but I did have a piece about Canada 150 published in my local paper. If you ever want to chat or share resources, feel free to PM me. I've got lots of books about this subject, and have written quite a few university papers about it too.

Edit: in the spirit of reconciliation, I guess I should add that I'm posting this from my house on the traditional territory of the Nipissing First Nation.

GuerrillaLorax likes this.
  5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So why dont you tell us then? Especially in this thread. Give me one of those papers to read?

You know the truth, there was no one nation of Canadian Natives before Europeans.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

From wikipedia:

According to archaeological and genetic evidence, North and South America were the last continents in the world with human habitation.[29] During the Wisconsin glaciation, 50,000–17,000 years ago, falling sea levels allowed people to move across the Bering land bridge that joined Siberia to north west North America (Alaska).[30] Alaska was ice-free because of low snowfall, allowing a small population to exist. The Laurentide ice sheetcovered most of Canada, blocking nomadicinhabitants and confining them to Alaska (East Beringia) for thousands of years.[31][32]

Aboriginal genetic studies suggest that the first inhabitants of the Americas share a single ancestral population, one that developed in isolation, conjectured to be Beringia.[33][34] The isolation of these peoples in Beringia might have lasted 10,000–20,000 years.[35][36][37] Around 16,500 years ago, the glaciers began melting, allowing people to move south and east into Canada and beyond.[38][39][40]

------------------

.......so basically 50,000 years ago there was a human population existed in Canada, 14,000 years ago there was a migration of people from Siberia, Mongolia, they interbred and wiped out most of the actual indigenous population.

And their descendants are people you now claim require reconculliation

Canadas indigenous population estimated in 1665 to be roughly 80,000.

Thats after 14,000 years from that second migration.

After 14,000 years, only 80,000 people, that only means one thing, different waring tribes running around chopping each others heads off

7. parua

parua Members

Looks like we'll have to develop hyperspace travel to discover a planet inhabited by something that we can exploit, subjugate, and or wipe out. Hardly any natives left here.

8. eggsprog

Of course there was no one nation here before Europeans arrived -- when did I ever make that claim?

9. GuerrillaLorax

Thank you for your thoughtful response and recommendations! I will absolutely check out those podcasts. I have been meaning to explore more Indigenous ones. A couple I've enjoyed besides From Embers is Shades of Green, No Borders Media and The Skoden Chronicles. There's one more but I can't think of it right now. The Rebel Beat interviews Indigenous musicians frequently, also.

Yes hearing the ignorance and racism of people here is difficult. You'd think to expect more from a "hippy" forum. I would absolutely love to further a conversation in private! And read some of your work.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  10. GuerrillaLorax

That's twice now I've seen your analyses to be shit. You read a wikipedia article and think you know everything about every one of the hundreds of Indigenous Nations across canada?

I mean, any basic reading of anything would teach you that the vast majority of Nations didn't "run around" and cut off each others heads? The tribes near where I live each had (and still have) territories of around 30-70 thousand square feet. And their sociatal structures were more sophisticated, just and accountable than any western government in history.

And what most folks think of as "democracy" was co-opted from the Haudenosaunee and twisted into the form we see today.

Indigenous populations often remained low (although absolutely not as low as you claim) because of their immediate-return and hunter-gatherer lifestyles, not because they were just random groups of people running through the woods killing people. At least try and use some logic here white-gorilla. Tribal lifestyles often required low populations to make their migrations safer and to not grow beyond the carrying capacity of their land base. As is a famous trademark of civilization.

And of course there was warfare. But it was always small-scale. Unlike wars of civilization that kill millions on a frequent basis.

Just one example out of hundreds on the relationships between neighboring Nations.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

First european settlements in Canada were 1604, 1608

Give me approx number of the "indigenous" population and life expectancy at that time. I will do the math for you

12. eggsprog

Many scholars believe that there were millions of indigenous people in North America prior to first contact.

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Give me approx number of the "indigenous" population and life expectancy at that time. I will do the math for you

14. eggsprog

Before or after half of the population was wiped out by smallpox?

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Both

And you can tell everyone when 50% of the indigenous population died of smallpox while you are at it

First smallpox vaccine was 1796 btw, so no european settlers had immunity in 1604

16. GuerrillaLorax

The territory where I live had a population of about 3,000 pre-disease. And that's just one Nation out of hundreds throughout canada. There was a population well over one million in north america.

From my research, every Indigenous Nation in western canada experienced a 90% population decline following contact with europeans and the introduction of diseases.

It's a very well known and documented fact that colonizers purposely engaged in biological warfare.

Edit: The first reports of disease in western canada started in the 1780's. And the Indigenous populations dropped rapidly until reaching their lowest point in the 1920's

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  17. eggsprog

But they did, through natural selection. Those diseases hadn't existed in North America prior to Europeans arriving, so it spread like wildfire.

Not to say that it was the fault or intention of the colonists (well, there were some incidents where it seems like diseases were used as weapons), since they didn't really have an understanding of how these things spread, but it is what happened.

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

How absolutely ridiculous

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

??? What?

You are saying the european settlers had immunity to smallpox because of "natural selection" 192 years before the first vaccine?

The Evolutionary Biology of Poxviruses.

Variola virus has beem around for 50,000 years. Was present on the north america continent before the europeans.

Was likely actually cowpox at the time, cowpox was used to develop the first vaccine, strains called smallpox didnt mutate until the 1800s.

Far more likely those you call indigenous canadians brought the variola virus with them with that migration across the Bering ice bridge 14,000 years previously, and there was a regular pandemic every couple of genetations. Just co-incidence several happened after the europeans arrived.

In the 1600s there werent that many europeans in canada, certainly not enough to have first hand accounts across the country, and they would have had no clue what they were looking at.

There were several pandemics up to the 1860s.

20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On a positive note the native americans reciprocated by giving the europeans syphilis many of whom died in excruciating pain and agony

GuerrillaLorax likes this.