Recommended Reading???

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Mercy, May 24, 2004.

1. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

Wow...Whizzer and Chips...that takes me back to my childhood...

It's funny...I sometimes remember little bits of those old comics, and I suddenly realise some joke or innuendo I was too young to understand. I'm sure if I read 'em now, I'd find all kinds of filth in there...

2. Claire

Claire Senior Member

*Looks avidly for filth* :p

3. flowerchild17

flowerchild17 I practice safe sax.

Down The Highway: The Life Of Bob Dylan is really quite good... long but good! I can't remember exactly who it's by... Howard someone... If I could find my copy I'd mail it to you but it's lost! And I dont think it would arrive in time for rivision relief anyway... but check it out anyway :D

4. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

There's been no mention of Kurt Vonnegut yet, so here it is :)

Personally I can highly recommend "Cat's Cradel" and "Slaughterhouse 5", although I've not heard a bad word about any of his books. Vonnegut deals with some quite hefty world and social issues in a humourus and often oblivious way, you'll be laughing your ass off one minute and in the next shocked at just what really went on. Plus his characters are simply, great!
    (You should find these available at all leading bookstores)

There's been a mention for "No Logo" by Naomi Klein, and while it is a fantastic book, it is no refuge from the horrors of revision. It's like a whole new class.

I'd like to mention Leonard Cohen too, in particular "Beautiful Losers". I got lost in that thing. Cohen's rather dirty like, very little actual beauty to be had in the story. Comes more from his words and the way the guy writes 'em...Genius maybe.

5. Beautiful_Day

Beautiful_Day Member

How can no-one say stephen king :eek: :eek:

I recommend....

Stephen King - Bag of Bones, Salems Lot

Paulho Coehlo - The Alchemist, The Pilgrimage

Wade Davis - Shadows in the Sun

James Herbert - Once

6. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

i capture the castle by dodie smith-same women who wrote 101dalmations. tis amazing and theres now a film out but te book is waaaaaaaaay better.

summer sisters by judy blooom-everyone has to read this one!

and im presuming youve read philip pullmans trilogy already...you should haveĀ¬!!
    namaste and fun reading
    x x x

7. Mercy

Mercy Member

Thanks everyone! Have a feeling I'm gonna be spending a lot more time in the library or in Waterstones than at home revising now!
    Some amazing books have been suggested that I've read already, but it people haven't, then they really should. Like On The Road, or in fact any Keroauc. Don't be put off at first by the unusual writing techniques if you are unfamiliar with beat literature, because you get the hang of it very quickly.
    The Bell Jar is superb. Screw is being depressing, Sylvia Plath is fantastic, whether its her poetry or her prose. Check out Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams, which is a collection of her short stories.
    Down the Highway is a fantastic Bob Dylan biography! I have read 5 Dylan biograpies, and this is probably the most thorough. Another good one is Positively Fourth Street, which is a biography off Dylan, Joan Baez and Mimi Baez and their interweaving lives. Fantastic!
    I best get reading...oops....i mean revising.

8. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

.... or her head in a gas oven. Mind you, I guess Ted Hughes would have that affect on anyone.

9. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

I just watched a movie, came back online to post here.

If the original book of "All The Little Animals" by Walker Hamilton is as good as the film, that'll be a good read.