Reccomend me something in the vein of 1984 or Brave New World

Discussion in 'Political Books' started by telecaster90, Sep 5, 2006.

1. The Chinaman

The Chinaman Member

Margaret Atwood.

There's been some fairly good suggestions, but one I'd recommend is a novel called "Vail", by a guy called Trevor Hoyle. I's set in the UK in the 1980's and it is possibly you may not get some of the references, but anyway I loved it.

Check his shit out here http://www.trevorhoyle.com/

2. The Chinaman

The Chinaman Member

Yeah, this then..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfzuOu4UIOU"]YouTube - SUPER SAD TRUE LOVE STORY by Gary Shteyngart (book trailer)

Now, right, in the sleevenotes of this book, Edmund White compares it to 1984 and states he never found 1984 believable. Well, allow me to inform you, I've had my difficulties with Orwell myself. Not least the spastics, as innumerable as the are clueless who crow about Animal Farm "Oh, isn't it clever, an allegory about communism?". No, it isn't dickheads, it's an allegory about totalitarianism, wankers.

Anyway, I rate 1984 quite highly, but this shit by Gary Shteyngert is bang on the money, if you haven't read The Russian Debutantes Handbook or Absurdistan, then do yourself a favour & rectify that now.

And really, who cares what a chutney farmer like Edmund White thinks, right?

3. reb

reb Member

4. The Chinaman

The Chinaman Member

5. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

ecotopia

it's less dystopian than the two you ref'd but still "-topian"

you might look into some of the later novels of philip k dick, he has odd reality constructions in there . . .