Reasons I am not celebrating July 4th

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Gone and forgotten, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

nothing makes sense anymore

Joshua Tree and Total Darkness like this.
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

We should not commemorate anything before 1865

unfocusedanakin and newbie-one like this.
  3. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

eh, I celebrate the present, the positive values, and the vision I have of MY united States on the 4th. Fuck phoney politicians and so called leaders who shit on the Constitution and its values. Fuck traitors and those who invite rival nations to interfere in our democratic process for their benefit, fuck the sellouts, fuck the political pawns of giant corporations, those who steal the wealth from the nation to pursue their own private agendas. Those who bow to foreign pressures for monetary gain and power, those who put themselves and businesses first before the nation and the values they swore to protect, warmongers who push war for war's sake and profit. Fuck'em all.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    unfocusedanakin and Tyrsonswood like this.
  4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Commemorating the Declaration of Independence with its rhetoric about natural "inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" and all men being created equal is something to celebrate. We were the first major republic since Roman times, although a work in progress, and we managed to win our independence from a European superpower--no small achievement. I spent a delightful morning at our neighborhood celebration at which, after prayers and patriotic songs, each of us expressed what it meant to us. Profoundly moving, although one woman broke into tears when she said it seemed to her people today lacked the spirit of service that she admired in the past. I'm about to leave for a Fourth of July picnic followed by community fireworks. Can't beat it!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  5. It's a bore.

6. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Doesn't the far left always publish lists like this for every holiday? Such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Memorial Day to name a few?

WritersPanic likes this.
  7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Lots of Native Americans were killed when Lincoln was President, so we cant commemorate that. He didnt technically abolish all slavery either

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

every time..

Im not celebrating anything but recovering from severe dehydration and dry heaving ..

WritersPanic likes this.
  10. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

I enjoyed a simple day of hanging out at the park then watching the fireworks display at night.

I guess its good that i just hangout with myself.

Orison likes this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

12. onceburned

onceburned Banned

and she's got a sexy mouth too...…

13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I can. I''m Native American, and my ancestors were on the Confederate side in the Civil War and owned slaves. But overall, and relatively speaking, I still think Lincoln was probably our greatest President, who deserves his national holiday and place on Mount Rushmore. Before the Civil War, he advocated keeping slavery from expanding into new territories and proposed a buyout of slaves. During the War, he issued the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed the slaves in the states of the Confederacy, although not in the border states that didn't join the rebellion. But after the War, he promoted the Thirteenth Amendment, which was ratified in 1865 and personally signed by him. That did abolish involuntary servitude for all persons. Importantly, he also saved the Union from its most serious threat to date. As for Native Americans, I don't think Lincoln bore personal responsibility for the Sand Creek massacre, which happened while he was preoccupied with the War, nor do I think his failure to pardon 38 Lakota from hanging after pardoning 265 following the Great Sioux uprising , nor the forced relocation of Navajo and Mescalero Apaches, are unforgivable sins in the context of his overall record. Until the Second Coming, we need to expect flaws in our human leaders and try to keep some perspective.

WOLF ANGEL and Orison like this.
  14. StellarCoon

15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

16. StellarCoon

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

personally, i plan on celebrating the 5th and 6th of july, since i have to work about 2 hours total between those two days. i still haven't managed to wrap my head around celebrating arbitrary dates just because someone many many years ago said "this will henceforth be a holiday."

Orison likes this.
  18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yee-AHH! Boyz!

FB_IMG_1562305552045.jpg

Orison and StellarCoon like this.
  19. StellarCoon