Reasons for going barefoot

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Matt1979, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member

I like to be barefoot at home usually from May till October as it feels more comfortable and healthier for my feet, and I put flip flops on to go outdoors. I always wear socks and sometimes slippers in winter months as my feet get cold, not that it's a problem for me. I know that some people are barefoot indoors even in winter, but I suppose some people feel the cold less than me.

Although I have always liked the barefoot hippie look, I'm never barefoot when I go out. I wear flip flops with heavy soles in the summer and shoes in colder months. I'm from the UK and I never see anyone barefoot in the street or walking around towns, the only exception being Glastonbury. I have been to the town twice and there are always quite a few hardcore barefoot hippies there. I think being barefoot in public is more acceptable in the US as far as I know.

Although being barefoot is no doubt healthier and some people don't like shoes, I know of course how shoes and socks can make feet sweat. Although I don't have sweaty feet myself, I know some people's feet sweat more than others and I've seen old posts where some members said shoes or socks made their feet sweat quite bad.

Sparky11 likes this.
  2. Barefoot outdoors on a warm day is wonderful. Feels great and, depending on the surface, leaves the soles dark! That's the "reason for going barefoot"

3. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

For me its simply that it feels great.

4. RT19

RT19 Members

I'm barefoot outside of work and inside my house all year round. Shoes and socks are just uncomfortable for me and make my feet sweat. So that's the biggest motivation for me going barefoot everywhere but there are other reasons I love the feeling of different textures under my bare soles the joy and added sense it gives when out for a walk been able to feel the ground under my feet go from warm to cold or rough to smooth is a simple pleasure, the money I save by not needing to buy multiple pairs of casual shoes because bare feet go with anything, the breeze across my toes or that first invigorating barefoot walk in the winter snow. All just some of my motivations for me going out barefoot.

5. Barefoot Scout

Barefoot Scout Members

Going barefoot just "feels right". When I take off my shoes, it's like gaining a whole new sense, feeling the surface underneath your feet. Shoes make my feet sweaty and smelly so I feel so much more free and happy when footwear gets left behind.

6. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member

I know shoes and socks are uncomfortable for some people, but when feet sweat in socks (without shoes), foot spray can obviously help with the problem, unless you think socks aren't neccesary at all in the house.

I do walk barefoot in the garden sometimes and I always like the feel of grass under my feet.

BarefootedBoy likes this.
  7. Socks? What are these things??

8. charlie35

charlie35 Member

I'm guessing your moniker reflects your birth year so you won't remember the days when barefooting was relatively common (those were the days).

Even up until the last ten years or so it was common to see a few people barefoot in summer. I used to consider that summer had arrived when I spotted the first one each year. Sadly it has declined to practically zero over recent years as people become obsessed with cleanliness and fashion and I'm guessing Covid will be the final nail in the coffin :anguished:

BarefootedBoy and nuspieds like this.
  9. RT19

RT19 Members

Just the thought of wearing socks unnecessarily makes me feel uncomfortable!

10. Nudegardner

Nudegardner Members

When I go to the gym I wear thin low cut socks and sandals. Goofy bastards ask me why I wear sandals all the time. Other than the gym and welding I'm bare or wear flip flops.

11. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member

I see what you mean and I get the impression you haven't worn them for a long time

BarefootedBoy likes this.
  12. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Shoes to the gym? What is this madness? You'll definitely wanna be barefoot for squats for example.

Nudegardner likes this.
  13. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member

I don't think I have ever seen people barefoot in the streets in summer, with the exception of Glastonbury. You are probably right about Covid being the final nail in the coffin for barefooters. As I said, I'm pretty sure being barefoot outdoors is more common in the parts of the US, I'm not sure if many people would still go barefoot around the Haight-Asbury district. I remember seeing a young woman once walking barefoot in Portishead near Bristol and it stuck in my mind, having rarely seen barefoot people in any town apart from Glastonbury as I said.

Nudegardner likes this.
  14. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Reasons for going barefoot

it's fun, it's healthy, it's easygoing, it's gratis, it's comfortable, it's down-to-earth, it's grassrooted, it's a good spine muscle training etc etc ...

probably it's harder to look for reasons not to go barefoot ;-)

15. Just being snarky. Indeed, haven't worn any for I can't remember and been barefoot for the past 7.

16. Nudegardner

Nudegardner Members

Not ready for squats just yet,C19 interupted gym time,halfassed starting over now,two days in the gym after three months and I feel pretty wrecked.

17. mmicmann

mmicmann Member

What do bare feet have to do with Covid? Feet don't spread the virus - your mouth does...specifically saliva that is released into the air by shouting, singing, talking and just breathing.

18. Matt1979

Matt1979 Senior Member

I think as well some people just don't understand how Covid is spread and they think the germs can get onto bare feet, even though as mminman said the virus is spread by saliva

19. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Reasos for going barefoot,

It feels great once you adapt to it but for me its a sport.

Like think of that show naked and afraid, never watched it much but covering up your privates pretty easy but one of the biggest struggles for participants was going barefoot.

Like the tourists tryiing to get across the beach parking lot in feet that haven't been outside shoes in decades., they cant hardly walk.

Matt1979 and Nudegardner like this.
  20. Nudegardner

Nudegardner Members

I get questioned a lot about how I can walk on gravel etc. Hot surfaces still bother me for sure.

Shoes are definitely not good for your feet long term.

Matt1979 likes this.