Reason or Faith?

Discussion in 'Political Polls' started by Green, Dec 23, 2005.

1. bluflame

bluflame Member

faith is to confusing and unnessecarilly complicated, whereas reason actually makes sense, definately reason

2. piscessunlibramoon19

piscessunlibramoon19 Member

Sometimes I think I'd rather not be governed, and be like the animals: survival of the fittest, not the richest. I'd rather have rights, and not have them violated, and have higher risk of being physically harmed or killed, than to have to sit back and let someone tell me what I can and can't do. Especially when their rules go completely against what they agreed to abide by to begin with.

3. A_Lonely_Road

A_Lonely_Road Member

That's a choice that put me on the spot. I really couldn't choose between the two, because sometimes they go hand in hand.

4. XBloodyNailPolishX

XBloodyNailPolishX Forgetful Philosopher

oh, and you aren't on your computer? What a generalized statement. Just because someones touches a computer doesn't mean they're a computer junkie, smart one.

5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I definetly say REASON :)

6. Individual

Individual Senior Member

This is too broad a question to answer rationally. Reason or faith? As applied to a scientific, political, or social question? Outside the realm of science, more often than not there can be answers derived from reason which are directly opposites, and faith must be applied rather than factual evidence in their support. Some questions can only be answered with application of both reasoning and faith, and in some cases there are no single answers which can be justified in all cases.

7. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Faith should never be trusted.

8. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

I want to say reason but some peoples' ideas of reason are crazy, so I don't really want to be governed by others' reason but by my own

9. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Sounds like you might be supportive of individual rights and freedom, within the limits that are broadly supported by society.

10. Dude111

Especially BLINDLY!

11. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Neither, without knowing the full details. Personally I prefer to govern myself, and have no problem with others doing the same as long as they impose or inflict no harm upon me, and honor their contracts and verbal agreements.

12. Methster Crowley

Methster Crowley Guest

Reason: Has to do with things you can actually see.

Faith: Has to do with imaginary fairy's and shit.

13. ronny25

ronny25 Member

Faith is such a bunk concept. The highest argument for faith is "Proof negates free will"

14. Individual

Individual Senior Member

The logical answer is most obviously 'reason' which we tend to presume is based on visible proof, although many instances exist where we as individuals are not privileged to first hand viewing of the evidence which has provided or produced the evidence of proof, therefore we often have to exercise some faith in those who do. There will always be questions asked which answers to will remain unproven, and some unprovable. Such is the case not just with religion and life after death, but also in science as well. So while reason may be the best answer, it does not always eliminate the use of some amount of faith.

15. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

that this is even a topic of discussion in 2011 is slightly disconcerting.

16. Dude111

Why is that bud?

Its still good seeing ppls opinions on the matter :)

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

fanatacism is the belief that something unprovable HAS to be a particular way.
    faith is the knowledge that nothing has to not be.

fanatacism, whether of belief, ideology, or any other agenda, can never be trusted.

18. GregH

GregH Guest

Faith and reason are not mutually exclusive. Each adds dimension to judgement and personality and are necessary.

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

to this i agree. i would never completely trust the complete absence of either of them. i'd just trust honest and rigorously considered reason, a good bit further then the arbitraryness of faith.

20. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Faith comes with a calculation of self-analysis of reason - meThinks