RealTime With Bill Maher

Discussion in 'TV' started by JE303, Aug 3, 2019.

1. JE303

JE303 A little paranoid and a lot of rock and roll

Wow. Bill sure sounded like he was agreeing with everything 2020 Democratic hopeful Maryanne Williamson. Either that or the weed was starting to go into effect. Lol. Also appearently a Trump supporter briefly heckled Maher. I guess it is true that anything can happen when a show is live.

2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I'm not sure what happened to him. I lost my respect for him in the past few years. He focus more on being smug than any progress or intelligence in his arguments.

I suspect he is the left wing person the right wishes all were. He became concerned with taxes and the roles of white men in society so he abandoned all his progressive ideas.

skip and Noserider like this.
  3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

THIS 1,000%

He just comes across as a pompous asshole most of the time, talking over his guests to show how edgy funny he is. I've tried to watch him a few times, but he as a person is so unlikable.

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I remember his face. I liked watching him, but am usually put out by comedy because it leans heavily on I don't know... how do you say. It's inappropriate and funny, or it's not pc and funny so often that I'm turning the station before one joke is told. Not funny.

I mean of course it is funny... but if I shouldn't be laughing I feel like maybe I shouldn't be watching.

For instance humor that relies on persistent social phenomena like race... omg... :yuck:

Noserider likes this.
  5. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

When that guy was fired from SNL for racist comments about Chinese people, a lot of people disagreed with it because they felt comedy was supposed to be racist. I guess...maybe in the 80s. But it's 2019 and it doesn't fly anymore, nor should it. I used to blow off other people's racism with a shrug. Oh well. They're ignorant. That's their problem. But now, the older I get, I'm legit uncomfortable when people make racist jokes.

So, I'm with you. If your whole thing is making racist jokes, you're not funny and I'm not interested. Maher's use of the n-word did a lot to turn me off from him too.

soulcompromise likes this.
  6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

As a white guy it's super uncomfortable with another white guy will drop a racist joke and think you are in on it. Whenever they call me "brother" I know something is going down. Two kinds of men are big on brothers who are not from the same mother: racists and motorcycle clubs. I don't have a bike.

7. I lost interest in this asshole after his Steve Irwin costume
    [​IMG]

Noserider likes this.
  8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

It was a Halloween costume, and like all comedians he testing the limits.

Not every joke works

9. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

And yes, Bill Maher is more popular than ever. Real Time is still on HBO, and clips can be found on youtube.com...

Recently he said we are all stuck on being stupid.

skip likes this.
  10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I'm a little skeptical about Bill. some points he makes are good, some ...pointless.

The comment about a 50 50 chance of COVID coming from a lab. 50 50? So maybe yes maybe no? Maybe it didn't, same 50 50 chance. Why would anyone retract the statement about it being a conspiracy theory? Even if the virus did originate in the lab, that doesn't mean it was manufactured on purpose....which is what the conspiracy theory pushed. Bill doesn't mention this.

And he seems to be an anti vaxxer....natural immunity to COVID? No need to get a vaccination? Like natural immunity to small pox, the measles, polio, etc?

And his comment about some ridiculed ideas have been proven correct. Notice he doesn't say what they are...but if they were proven correct, that's called science. When confronted with an unknown we react with what we know at present and then learn by our positive actions and mistakes.

But overall I agree the general population is pretty dumb.

kinulpture and ~Zen~ like this.
  11. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I think Bill is getting older and more conservative. Yes, he's an anti-vaxxer these days.

He does point out some flaws in liberal thinking, but it also seems like pandering to the right by exaggerating or putting a rightwing spin on something without even thinking it all through.

Over the years he has been right about a number of things, just as most liberals have been. But he's always trying to flout when he's not in agreement with liberal thinking like it's some kinda badge he has to wear to appease whom?

granite45, MeAgain and ~Zen~ like this.