reality is a frame of mind

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by rjhangover, Jul 19, 2013.

1. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

I watched THROUGH THE WORM HOLE the other night, and it showed how reality is a "personal belief" AND a "collective belief". For instance "money" is a collective belief. What it's worth today is a far different reality than it was 10, 20, 30, or 50 or 100 years ago. Because the collective lost faith in the monetary system back in 2007, the global economy almost collapsed. If the collective loses faith in money, it will become worthless.

Fifty years ago, the American collective had faith in their government. Today the majority has lost faith in their government, and society is crumbling. The reality is now the Divided States of America. It also happened in the 1860's, and the Civil War was the result. It took until WWI before faith was restored, only to be destroyed again in 1929 with the Great Depression. The victory over Hitler in WWII once again restored the American reality.

On a personal level, people create their own reality by what they "believe".
    Faith healing is an example. Also if one thinks they can do something, there's a possibility. But without that faith, it's impossible.

It's possible that what you think will happen to you when you die, will determine your next existence. But that all depends on reality.

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

With that last sentence, it seems to suggest that you believe there is an underlying fundemental reality which is beyond frame of mind. Kind of an odd point to make considering the thread and the points made, seems to contradict your position but perhaps I'm misunderstanding it.

The money system is a good example of frame of mind creating reality, however I'm not sure the faith in government is a good example. Fifty years ago was the 1960's which was one of the most tumultous and rebellious times in the countries history, certainly of the 20th century. Many people did not have faith in their government at the time.

It's a sidenote but I haven't really enjoyed the new season of Through the Wormhole, it seems more cold and inhumane in many respects and almost as if its pushing some agendas more.

3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

A somewhat blinkered idea of US history I would say.

But as you mention WWII, do you think the people in Hitlers camps were creating their own reality....if so how was that...

4. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Money has never been a belief. I think we've always been aware that it's just an arbitrary system.

The way you're using 'faith' and 'belief' here is giving me semantic red flags.

5. laughing-buddha

laughing-buddha Relax and have fun

reality is a frame of mind

"With that last sentence, it seems to suggest that you believe there is an underlying fundamental reality which is beyond frame of mind."

--------

Perhaps, I can co-relate with Hindu thought, which says- All this is an illusion- (maya)
    and there is a fundamental reality which is beyond frame of mind (Brahma)

And we, as an integral part of this maya (illusion) can not transcend it. What we need to aim at is Moksha- Nirvana- Liberation.

In fact, gods are nothing but souls with higher powers. Aim is to Transcend even this realm and liberate- dissolve yourself.

That's what I understand as of now, and need to learn more.

The question remains is- Why transcend? Why Dissolve Yourself? Why Nirvana?

The answer is- Everything is cyclic. Like a whirlpool, and unless you dissolve completely, you (?) can not move forward.

6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I've always held the belief that "Reality" is that wiTch we make it ;)

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

while money is a shared fiction created by shared belief for the sake of belief, at least somewhat misguided, in its mutual bennifit, stubbing your toe in the dark, is not.

we live in an infinitely diverse and primarily statistical universe, that doesn't give a rats ass what anyone does or does not believe in. and the wonderful thing about it is, that no matter what horrors humans inflict on each other, its going to go right on being just exactly that.

so to me, that is an objective reality.

everything we do as sapient beings, within our sapient society, sure that is subjective, but there's nothing subjective about the chunk of rock beneath your feat, that warps space to create the gravity that keeps you from drifting off beyond the atmosphere where your body will suffocate for lack of oxygen.

8. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

It seems that all the media is pushing to influence public opinion. It sure got this country to go along with invading Iraq. The media could be the FALSE PROPHET. And the way the government is enslaving us all with the $15 trillion national debt, THE BEAST is a fare guess. I used to "believe" Raygun was the antichrist. Republicans "believed" it was Clinton. Shrub Jr. sure got the whole world to gather all their armies at the Tigris and Euphrates for the mother of all wars. Now the cons are convinced Obama has to be the devil. Maybe the antichrist is who ever is in the White House at the moment. Maybe the collective "belief" is making bible prophecy come true. Maybe LSD is the real reality. lol