Reagan - Nasty Little Events of His Admin.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sweatininthesouth, Jun 6, 2004.

1. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

I wouldn't call it pissing on his gravesite. It is reminding the public of ALL the things that occurred during his two terms as President, not just the flowery sentiments we are all hearing 24 hrs. a day on the t.v., radio, cable, etc.

Seems that when someone dies, whether it's a public figure or family member, we tend to only remember the positive things. My reasoning for the original post, was to remind people of his ENTIRE legacy, which includes the bad too.

I'm thankful to President Reagan, because he showed me the true face of Republicanism/Conservatism......and after living through the 80's and watching him and/or his administration every night on the evening news, I became a devout Democrat. So thanks Mr. Reagan, for showing me the light.....

2. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I guess that would include Attila the Hun, Caligula, Nero, Hitler, Mussolini, and Pol Pot?

No, Reagan wasn't as bad as these fine fellows, but he wasn't the darling his synchophants make him out to be, either. For my part, I say Via Con Dios. Now, enough legend building. Let's get back to fixin what's broke.

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Moffit--(the richer the rich get,the richer the working man gets").Tell that to the enron workers that lost their retirement and the the folks in the other companies that got laid off while the execs drew millions in bone-asses.Make sure to mention that to the ones that got their jobs "outsourced" to India,Indonesia,Mexico,Taiwan,China,ect.(translation:fuck you ,American workers--what are you going to do about it-dumbasses!)And how about the companies that have PO boxes in various island nations so they can pay NO taxes.Yeah -those folks are certainly some of most giving people around.And oh yeah,the benevelent energy companies that bent us over the sawhorse last year here in California.The only reason I can figure that young people,especially here in this forum,like to stick up for and KISS THE asses of the right wingers is too much fucking TV and print advertising on the brain .OOOoooo I can be just like them ,huge and powerfull--or maybe mommy and daddy are repubs--have'nt cut the strings yet?Think for yourselves dickweeds.Every time I hear those nasty,mean motherfuckers -limbaugh,hannity,delay,et al,I want to rip the fucken radio right outa' the dash board. Yes--I've been a working person since I was 14,with an after school job.I have cards from 6 Unions.Some of you people should do some research on WHY unions were formed.Start with Henry Ford and move on from there.Read the 'The Jungle by Upton Sinclair'.Look at the 'Grapes of Wrath".You think it's bullshit?---wake up.

4. freakwentflyer

freakwentflyer Member

Fuck respecting the dead!

How about respecting the truth! With most of America rushing to turn Reagan into the next Washington, Lincoln, Elvis or Jesus, naming airports after him, plans to put his face on the 10 dollar bill, - people need to speak out!
    I remember all too well, the Reagan years and all of the points made in the first post. I had friends from Central America who lost loved ones, women and children from the results of the Reagan administration.
    Their is a Russian saying- "Reagan helped end the Cold War,- about nine days early".
    Gorbachav with his openess policy was moving toward ending the cold war, so Reagan blew billions to the defense contrators so they could get in a last big paycheck before peace broke out. Giving us a record deficit.

Third world terrorist, Reagan and Bush Sr had a great deal to do with creating them. And now we are paying the price.

5. metro

metro self-banned

agreed. He was one of America's worst presidents. It's nauseating how they are putting him on a pedestal. He left a legacy of environmental destruction which only Bush will exceed.

6. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

This is truly one of the most shameful aspects of his legacy:

http://shr.aaas.org/guatemala/ceh/report/english/toc.html

I think "9 days" is a bit of an understatement. I heard one of Gorbachev's aides on NPR the other day, and he said that Reagan's "Star Wars" bluff was instrumental in bankrupting the Soviet Union. They thought it was for real, and they spent billions trying to "catch up" with this fantasy technology. Granted, we also ran up a massive national debt during Reagan's military buildup, but it's a much smaller percentage of our GDP, which grew much faster than our debt. His buildup of conventional forces in Europe was long overdue; we were not prepared to repel a Soviet invasion in the early 1980s, which was still a very real possibility at that time. Then again, we still haven't dealt with the environmental contamination caused by his nuclear buildup.

On the whole, I'm not a big fan of Reagan, but I do think he deserves some credit for helping to break the "Iron Curtain" in Eastern Europe.

7. Philly_Hippie17

Philly_Hippie17 Member

Stop baggin on the man..