Reading Tarot

Discussion in 'Paganism' started by Wakan Tanka, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Wakan Tanka

Wakan Tanka Member

Does anyone else practice Tarot card reading? I guess it was destiny for me to read the cards as I trace my ancestry to the Roma people :mickey: I use the standard Rider-Waite deck, but I saw some decks at a festival the other day that looked gorgeous!

Every now and then, I have friends who ask me to give them a reading, and they said that it really helped them find out what they need to address about themselves. After all, that is kinda what Tarot is about, is it not?
    So are there any other readers?

2. ashliew

ashliew Member

I am a reader. I read for myself often and I have a part time business reading also. I have a few decks and I will continue to get more and more. Tarot is a great tool and can be learn for so many things. For example you can meditate on the tarot images or use tarot in spell work. I also use regular playing cards and oracle cards. I am definitely a collector.

3. samson

samson Hepcat

tarot reader as well, the Thoth deck is my preference, though there are a dozen various decks or more laying around the house.

I used to read for people often as a business, but have since dedicated it to my own spiritual work and choose more carefully who benefits from my divination. It is a powerful tool indeed!

4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I looking to learn, however; as I understand it; as a reader told me, it's all in the initial reaction and requires a sense of feeling as well as, if not more than 'as a book says' and as there seems to be no like-minded (and serious) followers of the faith around my area - looks like I'll have to trust in the spirits I guess

5. Kilothanas669

Kilothanas669 Member

Tarot and rune-casting are the only ways I can divinitate. tarot more-so, I love my guilded deck but use many of my friends' decks with stunning accuracy. I only partially use the books that come with them. i know what the cards mean and the spread, and just let them talk through me to the questioner.

6. lightningstrike

lightningstrike Guest

I do a bit of card reading and rune reading, I see them as a form of psychic amplifier though. I'd say a lot of what anyone does in the reading is more a honing of natural gifts than it is the power of the cards themselves. Just some food for thought.

7. Mothman

Mothman Senior Member

I use the fairy orcale deck everyday but I am going to get a Rider_Waite miniature deck soon. I never learned that style of deck and I regret waiting so long to try it. You can get a great deal of information out of that deck. I have seen some really impressive readings done using the rider waite. It's a good tool to have.

8. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

I only read on myself at the moment.. I have a wheel of the year tarot deck and astrological oracle deck

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i find it odd, that so many people don't want to be told what happens at the end of a book, but insist on inventing endless means of divination, to believe they have some idea what lies ahead, in their own lives. why one and not the other? how does the one differ in essence from the other? personally, if a book is interestingly enough written, it suffers not in the least from its secrets being revealed in advance. while life on the other paw, would be much more confining, and not at all comfortingly so, to imagine to be predestined in any manor or sense.

i find tarot interesting, but not in a manor of attempting to read one person's future as one would a book, but the other way around, as one tool in the arsenal, of statistically influencing events.

10. bowl_of_raspberries

bowl_of_raspberries Member

I find tarot can be accurate if you find a talented reader. People tell me my readings are accurate. I'm pretty doubtful of my own abilities, but I do practice it, yes.

I don't necessarily "believe" in it, but it seems to work if the person knows what they're doing. Whether it's con artistry, cold reading, garden variety intuition, or really some sort of divine/eneregetic force...I don't know, but it works for me and I use it. I'm very pragmatic in that way, I don't need to think something is "real" to find it useful.

Interestingly I'm of (part) Roma ancestry too, but only very distantly...

11. Isadoran

Isadoran Member

I was given my first deck by my mom when I was 8 years old. I have been given several other decks by other people over the years but that first deck is what got me into reading the cards. These days I do a few readings a year to some people who ask me for readings but I do not charge money. When I was a kid I did readings daily in school hallways for both teachers and peers. I have several decks but I read my Brian Froud Oracle deck the best.

12. Vongaelly

Vongaelly Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Indeed, I do practice tarot reading

13. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I have Aleister Crowley's "Thoth" tarot which I have been using for about 5 years.However after getting a really good reading several months ago I decided to leave it alone for a while,not wanting to push my luck.My readings are highly intuitive as I don't fully understand how to read all the cards.I just infer from the pictures a lot and use my imagination to fill in the gaps in my knowledge.It's exciting to read tarot but I don't take it too seriously.As with all magical/mystical arcana,I entertain it but don't let it control me.I believe such things are highly symbolic and metaphorical,although I have had some strange experiences during ritual art-making.There is definitely more than meets the eye to this temporal existence.

14. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Bump.

Any Tarot readers floating about? I'd love to engage in Tarot related banter. I'm still quite new to reading cards. I started exploring tarot a few months ago and it's been an utterly fascinating journey thus far.

15. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I used to dabble. Somewhere I have a deck with my own custom interpretations written on them. Just the major arcana.
    I used to find them useful for interpreting where you are, not where you're going.

Here's something that's interesting.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  16. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Great link, thank you. There are so many resources for interpreting cards, but it really comes down to intuition, I think.

I want to read for people soon but I'm still a little shy.

Right now i read for myself once, maybe twice a day, and I use them as a tool for reflection. It's also fun choosing a card of the day and finding themes that match that card, throughout my day. Tarot is so cool.

17. Gangster19

Gangster19 Members

I use the classic Rider-Waite Deck and the Crow Tarot currently.

18. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

The Tarot Thread

Then help me out. x

19. Gangster19

Gangster19 Members

The Thoth Deck is a pretty heavy deck for beginners. I've chosen to wait to try it until I am completely comfortable using the classic Tarot and I am just beginning to experiment with this deck called The Crow Tarot.

20. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter