**READ ME** - Dread Newbies FAQ/ PLUS Basic Care and maintenance Guide

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

So some ways are here but I think it too much work to consistently keep them up until there completely done

1-[font=&quot] [/font]Backcomb the tips with a lice comb and then sew in what's left of the loose hair the same way you would sew in loose hairs at the roots. you need to backcomb so there aren't too many loose hairs.
    Don't sew them all together. Instead, separate them in 2-3 "sections", and sew those in one by one.
    It also helps to sew them through the dread a few times (go straight through the dread, so that the hairs stick out at the other side, then go through again, and so on, untill there's no hairs left to stick out).

2-[font=&quot] [/font]Simply Keep palm rolling the hair and never stop until months later… (never works for me, but some people say its great)

3-[font=&quot] [/font] Twist and ripping is another okay one but takes along time.

4-[font=&quot] [/font]Maybe if you just leave them there way do it in many years down the road

2. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

I have never found anything that has helped my tips round off but patience. The bands dont work, atleast not for me. As for the "cut" dread, I would leave it alone. That will just give it more character. Besides one of the main reasons for having dreads is not to cut or cultivate the hair.

Happy Dreading & Jah Bless

3. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Hold the dreads between your first two fingers so the tip pokes out towards the palm side. then push your thumb intothe tip and move round in circles continuously. this over many many months helps a lot, i have a few rounded tips from that.

Also crocheting the tips works too but its veyr hard to do. I'd say just leave them and play with them absentmindedly. thats what i do :S

4. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

ok, Erik's dreads are a happy 3 months old today! WOO! They are getting really tight. I can't backcomb them anymore. His tips are not round, but he rolls them around and I figure they will do thier own thing in time.

The problem are his roots. Some are very loose. in a few particular dreadies, the dread doesn't start for a couple of inches away from the head. What can I do to tighten up the top?

5. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

hee hee, sorry I haven't posted any pics yet. They are still in my disposable camera that I haevn't gotten developed yet.

6. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

there will always be about an inch of undreaded hair at the scalp. I think thats just the way it is! I cant wait to see some pics! My dreads will be 6 months old on the 29.

7. HoneyBunnyHippie

HoneyBunnyHippie Member

I have a problem well I have wool locks right now and well my hair has dread u from the roots..so I will take real dreadlocks in 2 weeks..
    Mut bmy own hair is quite thin so I am afraid that they will be thin and not look good..so Can i put some my own exstra hair(witch I cut away few years ago) to the dreads so they would look better and wouldnt be so thin???

8. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

I really have no idea what you are talkin about, sorry. I would just let the hair do its own thing, it will work itself out eventually!

9. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Yup, i know what u mean but dont worry the hair dreads its self. i have about 1 an a half inches of loose un-dreaded hair then my hair natts up.. but it been that way for ever.

10. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

What about your hair though? not you moms hair:p
    I’m sure it will be fine once your roots grow out and just let your hair do it own thing

11. Cheshipillar

Cheshipillar Member

how exactly do you sew the loose hairs, i dont really understand. and couldnt find anything with a search...thanks!
    -rachel =)

12. knitin.chick

knitin.chick Members

do you need to do anything special to the new growth or does it just dread on its own?

13. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Nope you dont need to do anything.. just simply let it grow :)

14. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

This is Tricky... very tricky.. that’s why i don’t do it.

If you take of loose hair at the end of the dread.. separate it into 3 or 4 little sections (twist so they stay together ).

Take a needle
    Take a thread

Tie the needle to the thread, make a big loop at the end of the thread, simply pull one of the smaller little pieces of hair into the loop of the thread.. be craful and pull the needle into the dread and continue to pull your hair with the thread that follows.. (you have to sortof hold you hair and u do it… lots of fiddling around).. do it a few times and move to the other 2 or pieces.. its same idea as getting a crotchet… And your done..

PM me if u want more intensive instructions

15. Cheshipillar

Cheshipillar Member

hmm..sounds too complicated for me! but thanks for the little tutorial, anyways ;)

-peace

16. GreenMama1312

GreenMama1312 Member

I was wondering if anyone else with straight,fine hair had a few tips for me? I haven't combed my hair for a long time but it's still slipping out of any knots that form(All I use on it is Doc Bronners and rosemary tea). Also if your suspecting your hair is thinning would dreading make it worse? Thanks a bunch guys.

17. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

It will take longer for your knots to form. Just stay with it, it could take a couple of years for them to start formin like you are thinking. I bet it is knotted alot more than you think. I dont think dreads make hair thin faster. I know they will cover up the signs of it!

Happy Dreading

18. RobbyRedLocks

RobbyRedLocks Member

the best advice for anyone that wants dreads is................PATIENCE!! and a conscious mind helps too!![​IMG][​IMG]

19. Oh So strangE indeeD

Oh So strangE indeeD Member

I have straight thin hair too...when I dreaded I just kept them really clean with tea tree oil..the dreadhead hq shampoo really helped them lock up for me as well.

20. BFG_Rob

BFG_Rob Banned

Anyone know how to put beads on your dreads (or dreads what are about to form) and make them stay? The beads, I mean.

I'd also like to know how long one cooks pork chops, but I wager that's a question for the 'Pork Chop' thread :))