**READ ME** - Dread Newbies FAQ/ PLUS Basic Care and maintenance Guide

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

dreadlocks for the most part are a lifestyle change because of the fact that your hair will be knotted together. It is not a good idea to have them for a small amount of time intentionally because being that they are knotted and ripped your hair will get fly aways and damage. Dreadlocks are usually established for life. When people get rid of them(for the most part) they don't do it because they wanted to, something happened for them having to. I don't want to discourage you but if you love your hair in the form it is currently in I wouldn't dreadlock it. Its a lot of love and upkeep that you have to keep up for at least a year before they finally start locking tight. It sounds like your looking for a temporary style and if thats so you can always check out your local salon and ask for "twists" which is something that is easy to put in and out yet people commonly mistake them for dreadlocks (I don't know why, I personally can tell a big difference between the two).
    Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions and what you decide to do! :)

-Eryn

2. WildChild67

WildChild67 Member

yeah its a big decision... i think im going to think about it a little more. Thanks for the info:)

3. Earthy Mama

Your welcome. :)
    yup, it is. It took me a few years until I did, I needed the perfect time, when I was finally at peace with myself and life in general.

4. lostblackdog

lostblackdog Member

K, so here's my question... I'm only gonna live once (in this body at least), and I'm too damn sexy to not give dreads a shot! :) Right now my hair is anywhere b/t 4-5 inches long in the front and on the sides, and like 6-8 in the back. (Before I went to Amsterdam and Germany my mom made me get a haircut that turned out like a bad mullet and it's kinda still there). So is my hair gonna be long enough to go into dreads, and should I wash my hair prior to the actual process, or should I just let it get all greasy now? I'm thinking me and my concubine will be doing this Wed or this weekend if it's gonna be possible. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

5. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

all my hair was un-even in the first place LOL ....................... it didnt shorten too much...

6. Earthy Mama

Hi! welcome! Your hair will dread naturally when short if you let it go. 4-5 inches should be fine. Wash your hair all the time just don't use combs, conditioners and normal hair soaps. The hair soaps today are designed to condition and put lots of vitamins in it. If there is a long list of ingredients and you can't even read half of them don't use it... Letting your hair get greasy will kind of delay the process, greasy hair is just going to make it slippery and help knots slide out. :) Your best bet might be to buy a dreadlock specific soap. Or, Dr. Bonner's works great too. Tea tree and rosemary and lemon are all good to use on new dreadlocks. check out www.knottyboy.com, or www.dreadheadhq.com for soaps if you just want to buy it online.

7. lostblackdog

lostblackdog Member

Awesome! That's the best info I've been able to find so far because I'm trying to make dreads on a VERY tight budget here. I've got tons of crap around this dorm, so using whatever I've got now would be best for the wallet, but I also don't wanna skimp out on my dreads because they're pretty damn important to me (as if I already have them or something!) :) Thanks Earthy Mama!

8. Earthy Mama

no problem. :) And, if you really did want to backcomb you can always go to a pet store and buy a "flea brush". They are usually under $5. You can also use a piece of wool to rub on your hair in small circles, this helps pull all the loose hairs together.

9. amethystrse

amethystrse Member

Does fleece work just was well as wool? I'm allergic to wool so I don't want to rub it on my head. Also, what about threading? (I asked about that in a post but figure on here it could probably help others out)

*hugglies*
    Jessie

10. Earthy Mama

yes! fleece works too, thats what I use since I'm allegic to wool too. I have never heard of threading, I was thinking of asking what it is in the other post(off to go post now, lol).

11. amethystrse

amethystrse Member

I'm also trying to learn about wraping. I've heard about it but can't find much info. It's bascially where you wrap the hair in a thick thread but I don't know how to do it. I've seen it in pictures of dreads and it looks so cool. :)

12. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

AWWWW heylo all you goddesses!!!! HOW HAVE YOU ALL BEEN???

Oh there are so many new posts since iv been gone!! YAY!!!! and I still am gone heheh i'm just quickly checking inn!!!!! I miss you all allot!

MY this trip has been absolutely amazing!!!! im and growing and learning soooooooo much it is soo beautiful!!!!!!!!

Any way that thats all im gonna say for now, but ill be back on monday!!!!!!!!!!
    Sooo il talk to you all soon!!!!

Much love and Dancing!!!!!
    ElectricBuddha

13. imagining

imagining Member

um hi i just had a little question :) im getting split ends..and i really wouldnt care but ive heard that they can spread up the hair and make it weaker..and i dont want to hurt my dreadies :( i dunno if it'll have any/much affect on 'em though, but i wanted to check..and if it will make my dreadies weaker, if there's anything i can do about it? thanks!

14. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Sorry..... Maybe I don’t understand this question completely... ;)

Dreads are a bunch of broken and knotted hair all tangled into its self.......

How old are your dreads?

In any case, the hair breaking just knots it more and more so you should be fine.:p

15. imagining

imagining Member

heh alrighty then :& *feels stupid*.. they're about 3 months now..and thanks :)

16. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

okay, i have two questions to ask. sorry if the first one has already been asked, but it's late and i don't feel like looking. haha.

first: how do i go about getting round tips??? my friend used to just mash the loose hair up into the dread and then palm roll for like, 2 hours. but, he'd wake up the next morning to find that his wrists hurt, and that the loose ends had returned to their former state. so, it never much worked out, but he did end up with round tips in the end. should i just do this, or is there an easier, more effective way???

second: awhile back, when i was trimming loose hairs, i accidentally severed one of my dreads. i made a cut that went about half way across the dread, and now he's kinda hangin on by a thread. see:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

he's holding on fine, and everything, but my concern lies more in the fact that when it grows out more, it'll be really skinny on top, and then fat about half way down. i don't want it too look stupid. question is, should i just suck it up and cut him off? or is there maybe something i could do? doubt there is, but i mean, i'd rather do something than just cut him off.

any help is appreciated, thanks.

peace//

17. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Well that round tip question... there are a few ways... but none of them worked for me.... I’ll took into it tomorrow..

BUT that one dread that’s allot smaller now...... LOVE IT! its beautiful! In-fact many people have that, I think its great... i don’t think u should do anything but leave your hair alone

18. goldmund

goldmund Member

Why seperate your dreads? What's wrong with letting them do their thing, even if that means growing into a single gigantic log?

19. inbloom

thanks dude! i'll keep it then. :D

20. inbloom

so no info on the rounded tips, eh??? i've heard of "dreadball Z-ing", which is basically like you take the loose hairs, and palm roll them into the rest of the dread, then elastic it. i did that to one of my dreads just now, and i'm gunna see how it works out.