**READ ME** - Dread Newbies FAQ/ PLUS Basic Care and maintenance Guide

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 3, 2005.

1. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Yea like loopys it has a loop half way down :) i got loads of them.. dont worry adds character :p

2. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

MMMMMMMM LOOOPPYS~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohhhhhhhhhhh I find them SOO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! keep them going fleassy... I know they will disappear over time but be proud while u have them, they are divine!

3. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

Just bleach them like you would bleach normal hair. Just make sure to rinse multiple times to get the bleach out. Wring them like a sponge.

Hey. I have purple dreads. >_> heh.

4. ArtLoveMusic

One problem with bleaching is it super dries out your hair and does no good for you dread hairs in the dreads making them hard and brittle. (my mums a hair dresser its amazing the amout of hair crap you pick up over the years :p)

If you do decide to bleach with hair chemicals i severely recomend looking into getting some Aloe leaves and taking the aloe juice out (just split it open and scrap out the white bits and mix with water till it foams up) and using it like a shampoo (leave it on your dreads for a bit to let it set in) because this is really good for regeneration of hair, it wont help the dead hairs too much but it might help the living ones) cos you dont want your dreads getting too brittle.

5. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

I have a question!!!!!! :D

my 2nd time around dreadlings are but a day old, and kinda POOFY!!!! when are they gonna stop defying gravity for me a little? :rolleyes:

6. ArtLoveMusic

hehe give em a few weeks/a month and they will calm down a bit, but thats such a cool stage i never got it propperly as i made mine FAR too skinny :(

7. jennifericous

jennifericous Member

ok i bought the dye, its awsome platinum, gonna put it in tonight. now i notice theres a colour conditioner included in it. i read somewhere before not to use conditioner in your hair because it leaves a residue in it so that the inside of your dread never fully dries and it starts to rot! i was thinking instead of the colour conditioner id go savage my beautiful aloe vera plant! what do you think?

8. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

Moonjavaseed-those are beatiful. I kinda made mine to skinny too, but there gettin fattie as the grow...

9. ArtLoveMusic

yea avoid the conditioner at all costs :) aloe vera all the way. if you dont want to use your plant i know Sprout was able to buy a leaf from a shop but im not sure what shop he got it from.

10. redresonant

redresonant Member

tea tree shampoo should kill anything that would cause dread rot

11. ArtLoveMusic

Not at all. Tea tree makes bugs and itches go awy true bat teeny weeny bacteria arent going to be disscouraged by tea tree. If the build up of chemicals or wax etc inside a dread gets senough and is there long enough unfortunatly mould will eventually come.
    Though i doubt one session of bleaching will lead to mould but if its done a lot then thats a risk.

12. redresonant

redresonant Member

i have to disagree i have had dreads for 8 years now and i have no dread rot and guess what i use ...hhmmmm tea tree shampoo actually this is my second set of dreads but anyway in time you find what works best for you ...but i would never ever bleach my dreads thats gonna wreck em....pete ps dont shampoo your hair everyday that will make them rot regardless

13. redresonant

redresonant Member

and aloe vera is good but will speed up the rotting process...seriously

14. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

def. dont wash em everyday. oncce a week is more than enough. I only was mine once a month.

15. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

I have more questions...I have had my dread for about 5 months now, what would be the pros and cons of backcombin them again? And what does tea tree oil and rosemary do for the dreads?

16. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

I have tried this on one or 2 dread's.. and it basically places your locks right back to stage one!

there fluffy and need to re-tighten what was lost from re-backcombing. (why are you considering RE-backcombing your hair again?)

I know tea tree oil is good for itches, bug's, and possibly mold, its good to use anyways though. it just simply smells lovely.

I'm not to sure about rosemary though.. to get a detailed answer ask Fleassy.. she know more about this side of the action,

Personally I simply just don’t worry, and wash my hair 2 times a week.

I’m acutely an using Knotty boys soap.. its sooo great.. (OPPOSED TO THERE STUPID WAX) there soap works well and lasts a long long long long time... its a tea tree and rosemary blend with some hemp oil too.. (bit of money though, 10 to 15$ for one bar)

17. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

I was considering backcombing em again if it would help, but if that will only set me back. No way-I love my dreadies more and more everyday. Ima hafta try the knotty boy soap. I kno my dreads have alot fo tightenin to do, is there anything to help with that. I have been using a wool sock and just rubbin em to help em get natty. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanx for all who has voiced in, I have taken every bit of advice with some consideration...

18. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Well u see..

for looser dreadlocks….. as in: ones with a patch or 2 of un dreaded hair in the middle, or just not as "natty" as you would like.

your hair over time will naturally pull the hair up and into the dread making those loose sections into loopys, then over time those loops will fill into the dread lock, or break off rounding off your locks and then u dont have to worry..

some times it take years and years for this to happen.. its all about time..

im still waiting for may of these things to happen

19. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

rosemary is also used to ease itching.

20. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

OK, thats exactly my problem, and thanks-I didnt kno thats wear the loopies came from. It is all starting to become clear to me. I know time will take care of it. So I will have to be patient.