Raw Food Diet?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Dalee, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Dalee

Dalee Member

Anyone else a raw foodist?

I've met some people who are 100% raw, and jesus christ, they look amazingly healthy, and have the most intense amount of energy that you'd naturally only expect to find in a small child.

Did I say naturally? I meant, considering most people eat extremely unhealthy....

Anyway, I eat about 60% raw. I also eat a small amount of fish, small amount of grains, and a small amount of soup.

For the most part, I eat fruits and vegetables.

This is the perfect diet for my body. Keeps me strong, energetic, healthy, active, clear mind...and my body is constantly eliminating toxins and cleansing itself.

Anyone else here atleast 50% raw or so?

2. RedStar

RedStar Member

One of my good friends at work is a 100% raw foodist and i know a couple others. She and the others have an amazing ammount of energy up until the point where they dont. Meaning, for a while they have a lot of energy but it seems like they crash hard.. just like kids do.. to use your analogy.
    though, i think that theres nothing wrong with crashing and having frequent naps and such. To me it seems more natural to take a couple naps during the day instead of trying to work that 9 hour straight shift... which is NOT a natural thing to do.. hehe
    anyway.. raw foodists do seem to have a certain glow about them.. i could never do it but i respect those who do.

redStar

3. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I've gone through several raw foodist stages... I personally wouldn't reccomend doing it long term because it can be hard on your body's system if you aren't used to it... but it's great every once in a while. When I'm going through a raw food stage, I feel absolutely wonderful. I haven't done one in a while tho.

4. indigorainhemp

indigorainhemp Member

Yeah I have chatted with people who soak there rice & beans in water for days to get them edible but they do NOT boil them. They will dehydrate things but only at 105 degrees,,,the rest of the diet is fruits & veggies ,nuts.

Digeri --> what is your normal meal plan for the day ??

just curious? How come no nuts??

5. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

I am at about 60% raw at this point.I am learning more and each day that supports going 100%raw.I at first went all the way but found that i was not doing it in the best way and had to start over.All the people i know from the west coast who are raw look like there 10 to 20 years younger.And they have this glow about them.I am sure by late july i will be at least 90%.For me and others i find taking it slow is good and makes the change more easy.

In Love and Light

Pritam

6. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I just meant for people that weren't used to it. A better thing would have been to say to go very slow at first if you aren't used to it, rather than not reccommending it for long term, I think I used the wrong idea for what I was thinking of.

I've never heard of that book, I'll definately check it out. I must not have been doing it right when I did it before, because after 4 or 5 weeks of raw and feeling great I would start feeling really "weird", I guess mostly cuz I wasn't used to eating that way? I don't know. I was eating mostly raw fruits and veggies with nuts and a daily multivitamin. Lots of bananas!

Going vegetarian for a while first might help ease into it. My diets were always vegetarian, then western, then raw, then western, then vegetarian, then western, then raw... and so on. The "phases" started when I met my husband, then after I got married, I just didn't have the energy to cook and prepare to totally separate diets. Before then I was a solid vegetarian for 2 or 3 years. Maybe all the phases is what has caused my body to not react to sudden change as I would like for it to.

7. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

I'm really interested in this now and thinking of trying it out for a while. couple questions: do raw foodists drink alcohol? what about fruit juice?

sorry i'm naive :)

8. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Yeah, fruit juice can be a staple, especially if you make it yourself! I have a juicer. Making your own juices is really healthy, especially if it's carrot along with another kind of fruit. That way you KNOW it's raw... you never know for sure about the kind you buy.

I dunno about alcohol tho. I have a feeling it wouldn't count, but I don't know everything lol.

I would definately recommend that you spend a week eating lots of fruits and veggies in addition to your diet now before you jump in to raw, cuz ur tummy needs to strenghten it's digestin' muscles. The very first time I ever did a raw phase, I didn't do that and it HURT SO BAD!!!! lol

9. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

It is poison. That's kinda the point ;)

10. jesuswasamonkey

jesuswasamonkey Slightly Tipsy

Actually, the oldest person in the world, until she died recently at 114, drank a beer with every meal.

link> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5106789/

In excess, alcohol can be very poisonous, but it has been proven that one or two drinks a day can dramatically reduce the likelihood of of heart disease and promote general circulatory health.

...the more you know...

11. jesuswasamonkey

Oh, I have no doubt that her moderate beer consumption was not the only factor to contribute to her long life, I was simply using her story to illustrate the fact that numerous scientific studies have shown that moderate (1-2 drinks a day) alcohol consumption is actually very healthy.

12. EroticCookie

EroticCookie Guest

I was just wondering if anyone has any websites about the effects and healthy ways to go about this raw food diet. I am extremly interested in it and want to find out more in detail. Thanks.

13. jesuswasamonkey

Haha!

I can't believe didgeridoodoo has me on ignore.

He probably thought I was saying killing baby rabbits made her live longer, but I guess you can't reason with children who stick their fingers in their ears, close their eyes, and chant to themselves whenever someone they have made up their mind to hate tries to engage in civil conversation. :rolleyes:

Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids ;)

Oh well, I suppose I don't really enjoy talking to the guy anyways, he's just so... difficult.

Ahem... what was this thread about again? Oh yeah, raw food. Never really tried to go raw myself, cooked food just tastes so good. I'm sure it's a very healthy diet, but having an enjoyable life is worth more to me than having a long life. That reminds me, It's time for my heart medicine ;)

Mmmmm......... heart medicine. :D

14. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

I've been doing HEAPS of research on this recently. Will hopefully know enough soon to go raw for a couple weeks as a trial run :) Wish me luck!!!

here's some stuff i've looked at:
    http://www.thegardendiet.com/
    http://www.rawfoods.com/
    http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/
    http://www.eatraw.com

One question for Didge... what animal products do they use in alcohol??? I don't drink either so don't know anything.

15. EroticCookie

EroticCookie Guest

Thanks a lot Imapeach. I checked out www.rawfoods.com and that was an amazing website. I think it is a must for anyone researching into a raw food diet. After lots of reading and thinking I will be trying this diet out. It sounds hard but I'm always up for a challage. Thanks again for those websites.

16. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

I'm bringing back this old thread cos i'm so excited that i just completed a week of raw food! i mixed up 75% some days with 100% on other days. I would have liked to have gone longer, however all the research i did on it kinda proved that in order to live on raw food you really need to buy a whole lot of stuff i just dont have the money for .... ie. dehydrater, juicer etc. or it can just get boring.

nonetheless i did feel quite different for the week, i had a lot of energy and just slept for 8 hours straight every night (which never happens!). and now, i've decided to continue on the vegan path (before i was plain lacto-ovo), even tho i'm gone back to processed foods.... i mean, there's only so much cold corn and salads that i can handle!

so for anyone thinking about giving it a go.. i definetely recommend a trial run! everyone will think you're completely nuts (tee hee :rolleyes: ), but u'll feel great!