Ravi Shankar

Discussion in 'Ambient and Trance' started by SpreadingFlowers, Jun 5, 2006.

1. SpreadingFlowers

SpreadingFlowers Member

Rad Indian vibes![​IMG] Anyone totally dig his radness? Sitar is a groovy instrument.. [​IMG]

2. green_revolution

green_revolution Member

Yeah I downloaded a couple of his tunes. Pretty sweet stuff... He's getting old though :(

3. SpreadingFlowers

SpreadingFlowers Member

I've got him and Ali Akbar Khan doin' somethin together, and it's like.. Akbar on bongos, and they are totally.. like jamming. It's cool.. Indian music has always gotten me off.

4. trippedelia

trippedelia wow

just d/l some of his stuff then, i like.

5. mellow

mellow Eased

The man's a legend, nuff said.

6. Oric

Oric Member

I've got two albums of his... beautiful stuff. I love the sitar, but it's very difficult to play, all the ragas, and the microtonality...

7. Sattva

Sattva Member

Wonderful bloke, but it is a terrible shame that he's practically the only well-known Sitarist over here.

Or the only well-known Indian Classical musician, come to think of it.

Tablas? Sorry to be pendantic but I feel it is my duty to defend the most beautiful and complex percussion instruments in the world.

8. NEMISIS

NEMISIS GONE

Ravi & Anoushka Shankar is fantastic music, very hypnotic and puts me in a trance, especially after a couple of joints. LOL

9. Madcap Laughs

Madcap Laughs Member

Yeah Ravi's great. Not to go off topic but does anyone listen to Roop Verma? Also a good sitarist.

10. SpreadingFlowers

SpreadingFlowers Member

Yeah, yeah, Tablas. I couldnt even think of it at the time.. But yeah, now I remember, haha.. Thanks.
    Ravi is very hypnotic indeed.

11. Lather

Lather Member

Yea Roop Verma is pretty awesome too.. there are scores of amazing sitar players in India but Ravi Shankar is the only one who achieved worldwide fame.. thanks in no small part to his performance at Woodstock and his friendship with George Harrison. And yes the sitar really is a very, very complicated instrument.. all the raagas,etc..

12. lukelc420

lukelc420 Member

I don't mean to sound like a smartass but ali akbar khan plays the sarod not tablas. but anyway the album with ravi and ali akbar khan i cant remember the name, i think its morning ragas or something but anyway those are the most soothing, colorful sounds i've ever heard. i plan on taking classes at the ali akbar college of music in the spring, i figure if i don't take the chance to learn from possibly the greatest living musician in the world as menuhin calls him, i'm gonna be really pissed about it later.

13. samson

samson Hepcat

whats not to like?

"If you like how we tune, you will love how we play!" my fave ravi quote

14. missxmoonlight

missxmoonlight Member

Love him. Indian music is so beautiful. I wish I knew how to play the sitar. I've heard it's really complicated, but I would love to learn someday. When I have money.

15. psychedelic goddess

psychedelic goddess ♥Messenger of Love♥

i have loved ravi's music for many many years - so emotional, spiritual and moving!

i've been playing sitar for about fifteen years (not as complicated as you may think) and have written several compositions on it, but it can never compare to Ravi's interpretations of the traditional ragas

is the disc you're talking about "ravi shankar and ali akbhar khan(sp?) - Ragas"? an excellent disc!

i started out with Ravi's "sounds of india" album - it will always remain my favourite :)

16. Airic

Airic Member

He is an amazing artist.