Rasta

Discussion in 'Rastafari' started by Peace, May 13, 2004.

1. Ital Lightning

Ital Lightning Member

Have you ever heard of a false dread. those are the rasta's that beat women, and tell lies and so forth. I'm sure there are a ton of them out there, that doesn't mean that is what rasta is about. Rastafarism is based on the bible and is a type of christianity. So I'm sure there are christians that beat there women too, but does that mean that all christians do? I think not!

2. freedbypeace

freedbypeace A Woman Left Lonely

I went to Bobo Hill in Jamaica and there was even cacausion men there. The high preistess told me it doesn't matter what color you are, for them it is just like going back to where their anvestors are from. The whole "back-to-africa" philosophy applies more to im a gorillia

3. freedbypeace

I went to Bobo Hill in Jamaica and there was even cacausion men there. The high preistess told me it doesn't matter what color you are, for them it is just like going back to where their anvestors are from. The whole "back-to-africa" philosophy applies more to than just to thoose who have ancestors in Africa.

4. freedbypeace

sorry my brother who is a military man, (ya i know,) is here for the week and is fucking with the computer so sorry about that gorillia thing.

5. hess

hess Member

yesI, InI have no ancestors in Africa, Iman is original from Iran, the Back to Africa movement was started by Sir Marcus Garvey, which calls for reparations and repartriation for ALL black people abused by Babylon, and calling for the truth to be sighted, for Babylon to lay down them high Crowns and throwns and LET JAH PEOPLE GO!

how could religion have colour? when Jah look upon yuh did him think, white man is evil, or black man is evil, him nah see NO COLOUR IN OUR SKIN! because thats all it is seen? colour, does ur blood run red? does ur heart bleed pure? yesI, Iman feel JahJah care not about colour, HIM SEE US FOR WHAT WE ARE!

Blessings

6. marquee

marquee Member

hahahahahahahaha. your brother is hilarious!

7. daisys

daisys Member

Ital Lightning I sight what you say and apprecilove your point and I was talking to my friend about this and he says:

really and truely, rasta is not a religion. Still some rastas claim to be christians.

"There are as many versions of christianity as there are believers" - Marcus Mosiah Garvey

Some people do in fact try and limit Rasta to a form of christianity, and yes there seems to be many different beliefs among various people claiming "Rasta", but really and truly Rasta is INIVERSAL RULE everywhere in every corner of the earth and on EVERY PLANE, seen?

8. Ital Lightning

Ital Lightning Member

Truth, although if it was based on the bible it would seem that it would technically be considered a form of christianity. I am not into labels, I do not consider myself christian nor rasta. Although I feel Jah speaks to us all and it is up to us, his children to listen and do all the good things we need to do. But names and classifications do not exist to me, I was just using that as an example of why its not right to say rasta's don't treat women well, Seen?

9. Levi

Levi Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I was a member of the TTOI. When I was, my then-husband used the verses from the New Testament where Paul says that the man is the head of the woman like Christ is the head of the church to tell me why I should obey his every stupid decision. (That's in Timothy, I think.) I realized, though, that clearly not every man is wiser than every woman all the time, because my husband made some idiotic decisions and treated me and the kids like shit. I told him so. I was a prisoner in my home and marriage. I don't mean that I wasn't allowed to see other people, I mean I wasn't allowed to leave the house sometimes, even to go to meetimgs at the HQ, and I couldn't work or go to school. Sometimes he took the phone with him when he left the house. Jackass. (I'm not claiming that all of this is because he was a Rasta. He IS an @ss*0le. But he used the bible to defend this abuse.)

Some members of the TTOI treated their wives and kids like crap and hit them, some never ever would do that. I would say the violent kingmen were definitely in the minority. In a lot of churches it's like that.

With Rasta, which I was a part of for years and years, as with other spiritual movements, there is a lot of variety, like someone quoted Marcus Garvey as saying about Christians. In my family there are Buddhists. My mom and my brother are Buddhists of very different traditions and my mom works at a school of an entirely different tradition, with radically different practices and values, yet to an outsider they're all Buddhists. Same thing with Rastafari. So, in a way, you're all right. But nobody can accurately deny that there aren't some really sexist Rastas.

10. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Haha, well said I always thought any white person who considered themselves a Rasta was just a fake who liked the idea of having dreadlocks and smoking joints.

11. peace_sells

peace_sells Member

Oh man you've got a LOT to learn about Rasta!

Let me quote you what HIM Haile Selassie I said! :

"that until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned; that until there is no longer any first-class and second-class citizens of any nation; that until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; that until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all, without regard to race -- until that day, the dreams of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained. And also, that until the ignoble and unhappy regimes that hold our brothers in Angola, in Mozambique and South Africa in subhuman bondages have been toppled and destroyed; until bigotry and prejudice and malicious and inhuman self-interest have been replaced by understanding, tolerance and good-will; until all Africans stand and speak as free beings, equal in the eyes of all men as they are in Heaven -- until that day the African continent will not know peace. We Africans will fight, if necessary and we know that we shall win, as we are confident in the victory of good over evil"

Rasta is Universal (or Iniversal) - this means it is for everyone, no matter what their skin colour! They are a peaceful faith. I mean yeah our descendants did bad things, but 1. that's not our fault and 2. I am sorry for what happened to my fellow brothers in Jah and 3. I see race as something man created, a way to separate people - it is NOT something Jah created!!

12. Peppy

Peppy Member

all this race stuff, i was going to quote that same speach cheers. one other thing though, if you aren't jamaican even more so if you aren't black, don't put on an acent and again even more so don't type down in an acent, sometimes i ras and clat, and on the ocasion i have been know to call some one a crazy bal' head but they didn't even know what i was talking about. i will speak I and I if the person i'm talking to understand what i mean but i don't change i for me and me for i as this just confuses people because the majority of people don't understand jamaicanisms.

as far as race goes, i think there is one problem with what people are saying, and that is that the white man shouldn't have pride. we should all have pride in the way Jah has created us. weather that is white skinned of black skinned or anywhere in between.

13. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Rastfarianism is a black pacifist movement, try to attain freedom from the white oppressor and a return to Africa. Why would a white person join?? I'm not being racist at all, I'm just saying it makes no sense and most white people that do join all just do it because they think it's cool cos Bob Marley was a Rasta aswell.

14. paperairplane

paperairplane Banned

praise to the most high creator, Jah, who loves all and makes all equally and is freedom