Rasta

Discussion in 'Rastafari' started by Peace, May 13, 2004.

1. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

[​IMG] Rasta [​IMG]

2. freedbypeace

freedbypeace A Woman Left Lonely

Hey you're my age? -cool. Are you Rasta?

3. weaselpop

weaselpop Member

Just want to say - if you're white a rasta it must be really confusicating. Trying break free of the suppression of yourself and your family and probably most of the people you know is quite a challenge.

4. NatureFreak412

NatureFreak412 Art of Balance

Its sounds interesting what is it?

5. daisys

daisys Member

hey if we dawned upon the suppression then we would be miserable people - there gets to a stage where we get over it.
    Besides, loving Jah is all that's important.

6. daisys

daisys Member

nature freak.. I am unsure of your question. Are you asking what Rasta is?
    Peace x

7. NatureFreak412

Yeah I know its a religion, and Bob Marley is part of it(gotta love him) but exactly whats it about and all, like beliefs.

8. geckopelli

geckopelli Senior Member

I can give an answer.

But let's see if anyone else can first.

One of these poser rasta, maybe.

And not a text book answer- a true rasta answer. Straight from the heart.

9. hess

hess Member

Blessings

what is RastafarI??

well let I start with, RastafarI, is the name of HIM Haile Sellassie before his corontation.

Rastafari Makonen

Ras meaning head, or governer, by using Ras, Rasta's overstand there position and take up there crown from times in Africa, realising there true place as Kings and Queens.

but as Geko says, thats all text book.

RastafarI to the InI is I's search for love and overstanding. Fighting Babylon back, realising there intentions, and overstanding that them is DESTROYING this beautiful planet that Jah created for us, for his children. RasTafarI is not a religion, but a way of life! iman am not very good at describing Rastafari because iman still not see InI as a Rasta, though iman still sight Sellassie, overstand his teachings, and care much for the world that Jah created for us.

10. geckopelli

geckopelli Senior Member

Thank you, Hess.
    --------
    This is an excerpt from Jack Meadow's Logs. It describes a reasoning session in Jamaica in '84:

(sorry about the font)
    At one point this 20 year-old kid named Amboog or Amburr or something like that, asked me why a white man was here. He didn’t wait for an answer. He answered himself. “I and I is here because Iand I is the people. What business does the white man have living and eating with Rasta? I overstand the evil money is necessary for my brothers and sisters to live in the evil white man’s world. But must the white man invade I and I’s’s true life? The white man comes to bring repression and death to the world.”

Or something like that. I understand the lingo, but that “I and I”, and “I” means you and me and God stuff gets confusing to follow in conversation. Rob and Ian talk like that, but not to everybody.

Rob is a real Rasta, an original. They say when he was a kid he met Marcus Garvey. Still, he’s a pragmatic individual, and has that “be flexible” attitude [GKP’s dad] is always preaching. He sent all his kids to college in England or the States, and Ian speaks Rasta, American, French and Spanish. And not Spanglesh like, I do.

So anyway, Ian speaks up, “Jack and I are brothers. Not blood—Brothers. Jack’s white skin is no more his fault than Rastaman’s black skin! Jah! [God!]”

At that point, I automatically relaxed for violence, even though I knew such a thing was unthinkable in the circumstances. I swear it was just an instinct. But Rob didn’t get miss a beat. “I and I’s friend and little brother Jack lives a dangerous life. I and I must forgive him for his transgression!” he said with a grin.

One of the other guys spoke up, “Jack’s transgression of having white skin?”

“No,” replied Rob, “for the moment when Jack nearly forgot where here is and almost gave Amborg a first hand lesson in the white man’s oppression!”

Ian and a few others that know me busted-out laughing—something not usually looked upon too well in a reasoning session.

I took another spliff out of the box and lit it. The kid still seemed pissed so I ask him if he was going to hate all white’s all the time the rest of his life. He said, “Yes”.

This visibly bothered Rob, so we got a lecture. This is the best I can reproduce what he said:

“Rastafarism is not about hate.

Babylon rules the world, and white men rule in Babylon, and do the bidding of the Devil. The Devil bids hatred and oppression to all the people of the world.

To be a follower of the Ras Tafari requires only that I lead a proper life- a path available to any man through the book. To be oppressed by Babylon requires only that I be a man.

Jack is a Man- and an enemy of Babylon. Jack is not a Rasta Man it is true. But Jack is a man worthy of respect and friendship. I and I trust Jack with the life of Ifamily.

In the old days at Pinnicle, oppression came from men both black and white. The Locksmen grew the dreads and dreaded they were. With the power of Haile Selassie’s mane of the lion, I and I came to be recognized and Rastafarianism began to spread throughout Jamaica and the world. Sometimes the spread is met with violence, and sometimes Rasta’s must fight back.

Unfortunately, Some Rasta’s have slipped in to the way of Babylon; hatred, and the longing to take revenge rule the lives of too many Rastafarians. One is too many.

The words of Haile Selassie ring as true today as yesterday and tomorrow: "It is not only war that can stop war but men of goodwill, conscious of their mission can deal with such deadly a enemy."

Rob has that leadership quality that makes men willing to die for him. Ambourg stood and shook my hand.

But my religion is staying alive; I don’t trust the fucker one bit.

11. marquee

marquee Member

geckopelli, i am by no means a rasta. i simply show interest in the subject so dont go calling me a poser. who is jack meadow? are his logs published?

12. geckopelli

geckopelli Senior Member

Nothing personal,

But you should make that clear in the begining.
    ---
    Jack Meadows is My best Friend and a professional Smuggler since '77.

I have what's left of his logs, and they are fascinating.

I posted what I had transcribed in the old forums.

I'd be happy to e-mail you a copy of what I have now.

The transcriptions will be marketed when complete.

A producer has expressed interest in the film rights.

13. marquee

marquee Member

gecopelli, that would be awesome if you could send me whats done so far. id be really interested in reading it. my email is elemeno_peep@hotmail.com

14. NatureFreak412

Rasta is pretty interesting, does race matter?

15. geckopelli

geckopelli Senior Member

To be a Rasta...

is to be a Rasta.

No church, no initiation ritual.

One must merely live as a Rasta.

But take this warning: Rasta women are treated as chattle of the men.

16. daisys

daisys Member

And so chattle we shall be geko. I don't understand... were you just trying to put us women off? What a silly thing to do :)

I don't think you can judge a right or wrong answer. Stop waiting for other people to answer so you can judge them. What makes you so righteous to judge us? Jah can judge me for who I am but certainly not you. For you do not know my heart. Or any of ours.

This is how Rasta becomes turned into a religion by such folly rules. If you do not say this correctly you are not a Rasta etc it's just stupid. Truly loving Jah is all that matters. Not these rules and regulations you keep enforcing to decide who is false and who isn't.

17. geckopelli

geckopelli Senior Member

Daisy,
    I'm just telling you how REAL honset to god Jamaican Rasta I have known since Marley was alive act and what they've taught me.

So get over yourself Little cousin.
    ---
    There was Jah, and then the devil broke the peace and isolated "you" from jah.

And thus "you" and "I" were created by the devil. A Rasta is never you, and only "I and I", not "I", with "I and I" meaning "Jah and I" - for god is always with a Rastaman.
    "Iman" has become acceptable, but is not formal.
    ------------
    As a man who believes in political equality, I don't like women waiting on me and putting my needs ahead of thiers just because I am a man.
    Would you hide this aspect of a Rastaman's existence?
    A Rasta engaged in subtrefuge is beyond my experience.

18. Ital Lightning

Ital Lightning Member

Right On sister! a true rasta treats everyone with the same love and respect. Anyone who stereotypes does not know Jah!
    Jah blessings ever faithful, ever full.

19. geckopelli

geckopelli Senior Member

Does love and respect include smacking one's wife?

20. hess

hess Member

Geckopelli stop these lies and follyness, which Rastaman hits his wife? his beloved Empress? his Queen? iman see LIES and FOLLYNESS teachings from yuh, teach not that Rasta tells a man has the right to hit a wombman.

When yuh sight that Rasta is a PEACEFUL movement fo JahJah idren, to sight up Selassie, pray to Jah, overstand InI for truth, love, and raspect.

then yuh would see than Rasta has NO VIOLENCE! which man has the right to hit his Empress? when the I's sight that everyman is EQUAL in HIS eyes, then them no they have no right to downpress!

iman MUST ask yuh nah teach these lies!

Blessings